Weird situation Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfer1

New

Weird situation

Post by transfer1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:40 am

I'm 1L at T-30 law school and unfortunately, I ended up bottom 10% of class. I really hope to transfer to school in CA since it's the market I want to work ( I did not apply at first but my family just moved there few months ago, and we would settle down there). Two schools ranks the same. It's not flame and I would like to know whether I should apply to transfer ? Please help! :cry: :cry: :cry: :)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Weird situation

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:04 am

You can apply, but you aren't going to get in with those grades.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:51 am

What class was your lowest grade in? How are your writing course grades?

My guess is you'll only be able to transfer very down in the rankings and expect to pay full sticker price.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 am

Apply all you want but you won't get in

transfer1

New

Post by transfer1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 pm

kellyfrost wrote:What class was your lowest grade in? How are your writing course grades?

My guess is you'll only be able to transfer very down in the rankings and expect to pay full sticker price.
My lowest grade was Tort (C+) and my writing course was B. Do I have a chance ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transfer1

New

Post by transfer1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:05 pm

grades?? wrote:Apply all you want but you won't get in
Thanks. I hope miracle will happen.....

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:06 pm

transfer1 wrote:
Dude maybe you should drop out if possible and just start 1l over. Idk how it works given you have a semester of grades, but you wont be able to transfer. The best possible idea might be to drop out now before second semester grades, and then reapply and hopefully just start over at the school you want to transfer. That seems to be the only way to get this to work.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 pm

transfer1 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:What class was your lowest grade in? How are your writing course grades?

Chance to transfer? No to a T30 or T100 school.

Do you have a chance to succeed in the legal field? Absolutely.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transfer1

New

Post by transfer1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:20 pm

grades?? wrote:
transfer1 wrote:
Dude maybe you should drop out if possible and just start 1l over. Idk how it works given you have a semester of grades, but you wont be able to transfer. The best possible idea might be to drop out now before second semester grades, and then reapply and hopefully just start over at the school you want to transfer. That seems to be the only way to get this to work.
Thanks for your advice. Although I did not do well in law school, I have an internship in med-size law firm in major legal market (NY,LA) this summer. Grades are important but networking is much more crucial.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

transfer1

New

Post by transfer1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:21 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
transfer1 wrote:

Chance to transfer? No to a T30 or T100 school.

Do you have a chance to succeed in the legal field? Absolutely.
I appreciate your comments.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Drop out before finishing this semester. Apply to the school in California as a 1L. Profit with a clean slate of grades, with the knowledge of a 2L being curved against 1Ls, at the location you want to be.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon May 01, 2017 1:03 am

Danger Zone wrote:Drop out before finishing this semester. Apply to the school in California as a 1L. Profit with a clean slate of grades, with the knowledge of a 2L being curved against 1Ls, at the location you want to be.
not terrible advice. believe a section had a 1L who did this and they basically pulled off a 4.0.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:19 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Drop out before finishing this semester. Apply to the school in California as a 1L. Profit with a clean slate of grades, with the knowledge of a 2L being curved against 1Ls, at the location you want to be.
not terrible advice. believe a section had a 1L who did this and they basically pulled off a 4.0.
Actuallly, this is fantastic advise.
Unfortunately, the odds are against you getting into a decently ranked ACCREDITED CA law school (plently of unaccredited ones will eagerly accept you), but it's definitely worth a shot. I mean, other than investing a few hours and a hundred bucks or so on an app, what do you have to lose?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon May 01, 2017 11:49 am

B90 wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
Unfortunately, the odds are against you getting into a decently ranked ACCREDITED CA law school (plently of unaccredited ones will eagerly accept you), but it's definitely worth a shot. I mean, other than investing a few hours and a hundred bucks or so on an app, what do you have to lose?
Not sure why you say this. OP got into a T30 school. No reason they can't get into a decent enough school despite the mulligan.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
B90 wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
Not sure why you say this. OP got into a T30 school. No reason they can't get into a decent enough school despite the mulligan.

I apologize if I am incorrect, but wouldn't the transfer school be informed about OP's grades?
Unless I am misreading, OP was bottom 10% after first semester.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 01, 2017 1:36 pm

B90 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
B90 wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:

I apologize if I am incorrect, but wouldn't the transfer school be informed about OP's grades?
Unless I am misreading, OP was bottom 10% after first semester.
Not sure, but if he drops out before second semester grades, he might be able to spin the angle that something horrible happened at home, I had to move back to the area immediately and thus consider my new application with this in mind. BUT OP HAS TO DO THIS BEFORE SECOND SEMESTER GRADES. Please drop out asap OP. It is the only good solution.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm not talking about transferring at all. I'm talking about dropping out and applying anew as a 1L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 am

Danger Zone wrote:I'm not talking about transferring at all. I'm talking about dropping out and applying anew as a 1L.
I'm not terribly familiar with the process of reapplying, but why wouldn't the school be informed of the prior grades? And why would they let someone with completed coursework start over as a 1L?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 03, 2017 7:09 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:I'm not talking about transferring at all. I'm talking about dropping out and applying anew as a 1L.
I'm not terribly familiar with the process of reapplying, but why wouldn't the school be informed of the prior grades? And why would they let someone with completed coursework start over as a 1L?
You have to disclose all prior education and provide transcripts, right?

I do know of people who finished 1L and had various life stuff happen go back and start over, but I don't know the exact circumstances.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed May 03, 2017 8:31 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
They'd know about the grades but they don't have to report it to US News. You need to look at this more cynically. The only thing the schools care about, no matter who the applicant is, is GPA and LSAT.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 am

Danger Zone wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
They'd know about the grades but they don't have to report it to US News. You need to look at this more cynically. The only thing the schools care about, no matter who the applicant is, is GPA and LSAT.
Ah, this makes sense now. If OP could just reapply as a 1L with his/her original numbers (thus potentially raising the school's median), then of course that will be appealing to schools.

transfer1

New

Post by transfer1 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 am

Hey guys , I'm back . I just got my grades for Spring and I was top 5%. However, my culmulstive gpa doesn't look great since I was at the bottom of 10% of the first semester . What's my chance to transfer to UCI ? Or any law schools around LA/OC

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”