T4 to T2 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawnerd_77

New

T4 to T2

Post by Lawnerd_77 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey guys,

I am in the top 10% in my class with a 3.3 at a T4.

What would you think my chances are at getting into a T2??

Thanks for the input!

MeanieTeanie

New

Re: T4 to T2

Post by MeanieTeanie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

Look up the school you want to transfer into - it'll have transfer stats for last year. You should be able to guesstimate based on your GPA and where you're coming from.

CS5509

New

Post by CS5509 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Gpa doesn't mean that much. It's all about class rank... you have a decent shot at getting into a t1. Don't opt yourself out

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:30 pm

If you're top 10% at a t4 not sure what transferring to a T2 would do for you unless it is in the market you want to practice and you have no scholarship right now. I would look at a higher ranked school if that is not the case

Lawnerd_77

New

Post by Lawnerd_77 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 pm

My school is in California, I want to go back home to be with my family. I was looking to transfer to University of Tennessee Knoxville.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CheddarArachnid

New

Post by CheddarArachnid » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Strong chance of success, but why not transfer to a T1?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon May 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Lawnerd_77 wrote:My school is in California, I want to go back home to be with my family. I was looking to transfer to University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Then definitely go back to Tennessee if you want to live and practice there. Depending on debt and your goals, might be worth it to apply to Vandy as well.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon May 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Lawnerd_77 wrote:Hey guys,

I am in the top 10% in my class with a 3.3 at a T4.

What would you think my chances are at getting into a T2??

Thanks for the input!
This is going to depend pretty heavily on a couple things. One is money. Two is where you want to practice and what you want to do. (Looks like Tennessee).

Because of this, this is what I'd do.

1. Apply to Vandy/Emory. (you're close to their GPA medians, but your class rank is sky high. They will give you a better "biglaw" or midlaw shot in TN (if you're from there))
2. Apply to UT - Knoxville (go here if you get some stellar in-state deal or if the money isn't right).

Also FWIW I was a transfer and found the GPA medians on the 509s super helpful. I went to a B+ curved school so I think I overshot my class rank.

You will definitely (nothings ever 100% though) get into UT with those grades and have a good shot at Emory and a decent at Vandy.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sun May 07, 2017 4:50 pm

I think you should take a shot. Applications are tedious (particularly the recommendations from the Dean and professors) and cost money, but you can always back out once you find where you are accepted to. I personally recommend transferring (I was a TTT->T5 transfer back in the day, and that was the best thing I ever did . . . . looking back decades later lol).

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun May 07, 2017 7:02 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote: Also FWIW I was a transfer and found the GPA medians on the 509s super helpful.
I second this. I'm actually of the school that thinks class rank is not as significant of a factor to transfer schools as your 1L GPA. I believe this first, because many school don't disclose class rank or class percentile--so the transfer school wouldn't be able to get this information for all of their applicants. Second, the schools don't have to report class rank. They have to report GPA mid-ranges. So, I think they're more likely to care that you have a 3.3 than that you're in the top 10% of your class, personally. I agree with @forgetaboutdre that you should apply to Vanderbilt and Emory for sure though. You would be at Vanderbilt's 25th GPA percentile based on last year's class, but probably still in their range of accepted students. They mostly took students from T1s and T2s, but I think it's still worth it. For Emory on the other hand, you'd be close to their 75th percentile from last year (3.41) and they took loads of students from T4/T3 schools. I would guess you have a great shot at Emory with your grades and that would position you well to practice in Tennessee. Ditto to Alabama (3.35 median transfer GPA in 2015), Georgia (3.37 2016 GPA median), Ohio State (3.11 2016 GPA median), and UNC (3.01 2016 GPA median). I would also throw in Texas--you're at their 25th percentile, so similar odds to Vandy from that standpoint, but maybe more likely since they also seem to have taken some T4 students last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”