50-60 to a Top 5 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dcg0120

New

50-60 to a Top 5

Post by dcg0120 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am

Number 1 at a T2 school (50-60), 4.138 GPA, a couple of CALI awards.

Chances of getting accepted to a Yale/HLS/UChicago?

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: 50-60 to a Top 5

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 am

Excellent bordering on auto-admit. I went to a similarly ranked school, and thus have some anecdata for you. The top 4 of the top 5 students transferred to HYS (top was on full ride, so didn't make sense for him/her).

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am

Good shot everywhere but Yale. Usually Yale only takes transfer from other t13

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 pm

I was #1 in my ~top30 school, 4.0 GPA (as high as possible), 4 CALI awards. Accepted to Harvard, not accepted to Yale. A year before me, someone with similar grades (but #2 or #3 in the class) wasn't accepted to Harvard. Still anecdata, but hopefully helpful.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 am

If you keep your grades up and put an effort into your application, you should get into HLS. Chicago is basically a lock. YLS is a long shot. They accept very few transfers from outside the t13/t14. I expect that it takes more than just amazing grades.(probably something they find interesting in your background)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 am

I went to a similar ranked school and #1 person transferred to Harvard. I was on full ride so didn't apply.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 pm

I went from Hastings to Stanford as #5 in my class. It varies year to year, some years they will only take #1, other years they are willing to dip a bit below. I have no idea what makes the difference.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 am

I would apply to all of them, including Yale.

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:38 am

SFSpartan wrote:Excellent bordering on auto-admit. I went to a similarly ranked school, and thus have some anecdata for you. The top 4 of the top 5 students transferred to HYS (top was on full ride, so didn't make sense for him/her).
One question : OP has brilliant 1L results, but say if such a candidate has Cali awards, kickass 1L scores, but a sub 3 UGPA, HLS still a realistic option?? Have heard HLS considers UGPA of transfers as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 am

DolnaRay wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Excellent bordering on auto-admit. I went to a similarly ranked school, and thus have some anecdata for you. The top 4 of the top 5 students transferred to HYS (top was on full ride, so didn't make sense for him/her).
One question : OP has brilliant 1L results, but say if such a candidate has Cali awards, kickass 1L scores, but a sub 3 UGPA, HLS still a realistic option?? Have heard HLS considers UGPA of transfers as well.
So, it appears you're still applying and aren't yet in law school? Students who haven't received at least one semester's worth of grades are not allowed to ask questions in the transfers forum, which is for current students considering transferring/applying to transfer. You can ask questions in the Ask a Law Student and Graduate forum. (There's a post stickied on the front page of the transfers forum if you'd like further explanation.)

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
DolnaRay wrote:
So, it appears you're still applying and aren't yet in law school? Students who haven't received at least one semester's worth of grades are not allowed to ask questions in the transfers forum, which is for current students considering transferring/applying to transfer. You can ask questions in the Ask a Law Student and Graduate forum. (There's a post stickied on the front page of the transfers forum if you'd like further explanation.)
Not asking for myself. Just curious. Please don't take it otherwise.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 am

DolnaRay wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
DolnaRay wrote:
Not asking for myself. Just curious. Please don't take it otherwise.
You're still not allowed to ask here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”