LOR Advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LOR Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:33 am

I asked the professor that I'm closest to for a LOR expecting her to say yes and be supportive but she replied with reasons why I shouldn't transfer (paying full price, our faculty is ranked really high for scholarship etc.) I had a feeling this might happen because transferring isn't that common at my school (T25) and everyone here loves the school. The prof didn't say she wouldn't write me one but reiterated that she wants me to be sure of my decision and believes I should stay.

I'm wondering about whether I should proceed with asking her to write me a letter anyway or should I ask another professor that doesn't know me as well.

CheddarArachnid

New

Re: LOR Advice

Post by CheddarArachnid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am

Ask her. All my professors had a similar talk with me. In the end, I do not think the letters matter much.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 am

I would also probably ask her. Hopefully she'll be able to separate her advice to you from her thoughts about you. It would be a jerk move to try to sabotage a student, and unless you have reason to think she will, a letter from her is probably better than a letter from someone who doesn't know you well. Thankfully, my recommending professors didn't try to talk me out of it, although a dean (that I didn't ask for a letter) did try to talk me out of it.

(Re the reasons, the "faculty scholarship ranking" thing is stupid. If you're transferring into the T-13 or better, which you should be from a T-25 school, it's not like the faculty there are going to be worse scholars. And even if they were, employers aren't hiring you based on your faculty's ranking as scholars. The price thing is a more valid consideration, for sure, but the very top schools (YSH) give need-based aid.)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:54 am

Ask her, and tell her why you think the transfer makes the most sense for your ultimate career goals. She'll understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”