Seeking Transfer Advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CS5509

New

Seeking Transfer Advice

Post by CS5509 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi all. I've been a reader for quite some time. Need some input on a decision that is quickly approaching.

I am currently a 1L at a lower TT (90s) school. I am in the top 5-10% and on no scholarship. (30k ish tuition)

I'm wrestling back and forth whether or not it is worth it to transfer to T-15 (have EA app out at Georgetown currently) or to stay where I'm at, grade on to law review and take advantage of the opportunities of being at the top part of the class.

I know others weigh these options every year. I was looking for some input. In addition, when transferring from a school around #90, will top 5-10% typically allow me a good shot at most t-15?

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Re: Seeking Transfer Advice

Post by SowhatsNU » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:51 pm

First, I doubt you've gotten grades from both semesters so your timeline isn't really 'rapidly' approaching- you can literally wait until July, so don't worry.

Second, I would send apps everywhere but YHS (maybe even H if you have the $), but I believe it would be well worth the cost of the app- you never know where you'll get in, plus if you get in to any of the schools (which you might, altho again this is prob too soon until you have grades from 2 semesters), you can go back to your TT and leverage that into a scholarship- either way you'd be at a better place than you are now.

Best of luck!

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Depends what your careers plans are. If you want big law, and more specifically big law in a different geographical region than your school, then I would consider transferring. If you maintain grades and your school doesn't provide you a scholarship then I would seriously consider transferring no matter what.

If you maintain grades you'll be in at GULC for sure, and most likely at Michigan, Berk, etc. But if you crack top 5% and your school gives you a significant scholarship, you might be able to get big law in your school's geographic region. In which case, I might consider staying.

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am

I would lean toward staying, unless transferring will allow you to be at the geographic region where you want to be.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Definitely apply to t13-15 schools and ask your school for $$. If your current school doesn't give you a big scholarship at the end of the year you definitely should transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”