Transferred to John Marshall from Barry Law and I'm not doing well Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GabbieRavenclaw

New

Transferred to John Marshall from Barry Law and I'm not doing well

Post by GabbieRavenclaw » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 pm

I have been looking for a forum, where someone discusses transferring from Barry Law to go to another school. I am a recent transfer student from Barry to John Marshall in Chicago. I was extremely happy at first. Mainly because I was closer to home, my church and my family. But, now I feel like an abject failure. At Barry I was on the deans list every term. Now, I'm at John Marshall and I am not doing so hot. I've been utilizing my same method of study that worked well at Barry, but I feel like John Marshall requires something different and I am below the learning curve.

A prime example is that I bombed my property midterm. I thought I had a good grasp of the material, but apparently not. Additionally, in my lawyering skills class, I got my memo back and got a 64%. I don't know what to do. I feel so discouraged and I feel like if I talk to my family about it, they'll tell me to work harder and to not complain. And similarly, if I talk to my friends about how I feel, they'll likely tell something along the same lines.

Has anyone ever transferred from another school to Marshall? Any tips or hacks? I'm a full-time day student (14 credits.) I feel like I'm lost and I don't know what to do. I met with two of my Professors and I feel more ashamed that I'm not doing well, than encouraged. I feel like when I went into their office, they were angry that I didn't know the material as well, and when I asked for clarity, they said we've discussed this in class, you should know it.

At this point, I just want to give up. I don't see the point of even trying if I'm going to fail. I don't know how this is going to get better. My major drawback is the money that I've already borrowed in loans for this and the time that I've put in. Then there's the fact that promised my grandparents that I wouldn't give up. I feel terribly every time we're at church and they say, "Our grand baby the lawyer." As much as it hurts to think that I might let them down, I don't know it's even worth the self-doubt, tears, and frustration.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Transferred to John Marshall from Barry Law and I'm not doing well

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Do you actually want to be a lawyer, or are you just trying to please your family? How much debt are you going to have at graduation?

Generic1L

New

Re: Transferred to John Marshall from Barry Law and I'm not doing well

Post by Generic1L » Wed May 03, 2017 2:09 am

Hi!

First, I'm really sorry about the predicament you're in. I know the feeling of overwhelming pressures and falling short. That being said, I think you've got a fighting chance once you adjust to the learning curve. I don't know what will work for you specifically, but this forum probably isn't the best place to have a concise conversation before your finals. Feel free to PM me and I'd love to give you whatever feedback and help I can!

And beyond that, your family is going to love you no matter what decision you make. Hope all is well, OP!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”