Northwestern --> HLS? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Northwestern --> HLS?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Fall semester GPA 3.8+. Northwestern does not disclose any rankings/percentiles.
I know that YLS/SLS would be virtually impossible with my GPA but am unsure my chance at HLS. I am not interested in transferring to CCN.
Do I have a realistic shot at HLS?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Northwestern --> HLS?

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Why? Do you have any scholly at northwestern? If yes, this seems pointless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Why? Do you have any scholly at northwestern? If yes, this seems pointless.
It's complicated.... In short, bc of its location & prestige.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Lol

You have a fine shot. I hope the extra 100k in debt is worth it

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:45 pm

What job do you think you will get from Harvard that you won't get from Northwestern?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Why? Do you have any scholly at northwestern? If yes, this seems pointless.
What doors will Harvard prestige open up? This seems like a poor decision.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you get into hls as a transfer nu will, or did historically, negotiate scholarships so worth it to apply at least. I never seriously considered leaving and am very happy that I stayed.

Pm me and I'm happy to share details.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fall semester GPA 3.8+. Northwestern does not disclose any rankings/percentiles.
I know that YLS/SLS would be virtually impossible with my GPA but am unsure my chance at HLS. I am not interested in transferring to CCN.
I think it is worth it to apply, even if you won't attend. After you get the offer, you can always try to negotiate with NU to increase your scholarship.

Or if you are paying close to sticker at NU, then it would be a good option either way. If you are only transferring for prestige, then it could be a wash.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You are insane. Do it for $$ leverage only.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fall semester GPA 3.8+. Northwestern does not disclose any rankings/percentiles.
I'm an NU 3L and I know a few people who applied in the 3.8-3.9 range and didn't get in to HLS. Don't put the cart before the horse here though; focus on your grades this semester and then reapproach the decision when you have your full 1L grades.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:59 am

Mullens wrote:
I'm an NU 3L and I know a few people who applied in the 3.8-3.9 range and didn't get in to HLS. Don't put the cart before the horse here though; focus on your grades this semester and then reapproach the decision when you have your full 1L grades.
So, while I agree that keeping your grades up should be priorities 1 and 2, I don't agree with this advice entirely. The turnaround between getting 1L grades and the harvard transfer app deadline can be as short as 10 days--days you're likely also working on the writing competition for law review. You need to gather a potential recommender (HLS requires 1 current professor to write you a recommendation) and have a reasonable application before grades come out basically.

The difference for me was a significant sum of money, which was worth the time I put into it and in some ways, if you can space out some of that effort earlier in the semester by writing the application in advance, etc it might be worth it.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:07 pm

What is the OP's LSAT? I would imagine that would influence the decision?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:30 pm

theventriloquist wrote:What is the OP's LSAT? I would imagine that would influence the decision?
Weird necro by someone who isn't even a student, but the answer is that LSAT scores have no bearing on transfer applications.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm

theventriloquist wrote:What is the OP's LSAT? I would imagine that would influence the decision?
Dude, how on earth did you get a 177 LSAT? I'm starting to agree with the people who said you're probably a troll.

It says at the top of the page this is about "transfers". A transfer from Northwestern to Harvard. It is based on GPA, not LSAT. A simple google search would have told you that, or reading the context of the previous comments in the thread.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.
Such as....?

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
Dude, how on earth did you get a 177 LSAT? I'm starting to agree with the people who said you're probably a troll.

It says at the top of the page this is about "transfers". A transfer from Northwestern to Harvard. It is based on GPA, not LSAT. A simple google search would have told you that, or reading the context of the previous comments in the thread.
Well I looked at the Harvard Law site on transfer admits. It says that transfer admits were close to being admitted as L1, which is based on LSAT and GPA. For the transfer application, you submit your LSAT scores. So I guess you submit your LSAT scores just for the fun of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.
Such as....?
Wachtell Lipton dosen't recruit at Northwestern, for example. So if you want to work at Wachtell Lipton, you have to transfer out of NU . That is one door.

Another door: McKinsey dosen't rectuit at Northwestern law, but it has a special recruiter for Harvard Law

Two doors then.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 am

theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.
Such as....?
Wachtell Lipton dosen't recruit at Northwestern, for example. So if you want to work at Wachtell Lipton, you have to transfer out of NU . That is one door.

Another door: McKinsey dosen't rectuit at Northwestern law, but it has a special recruiter for Harvard Law

Two doors then.
Northwestern has sent people to Wachtell the last two years but sure keep up your delusion.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 am

Mullens wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.
Such as....?

Two doors then.
Northwestern has sent people to Wachtell the last two years but sure keep up your delusion.
Also LOL @ taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra loans for a slightly increased shot at interviewing with a specific firm

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:14 am

Mullens wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.
Such as....?

Two doors then.
Well its a fact that they don't recruit their for summer internship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
Also LOL @ taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra loans for a slightly increased shot at interviewing with a specific firm
How does it come up to "hundreds of thousands"?? Even if the OP got a 150K scholarship from NU, he would be saving, at most, 100K at NU by staying for 2 more years. And Harvard is likely to offer some financial aid.

I'm not saying he should transfer. But the fact is, Harvard is going to open doors. IDK about cost/benefit.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:09 am

theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of doors.
Such as....?

Two doors then.
If Watchtell and McKinsey wouldn't have considered you when you were at Northwestern, they won't consider you because you transferred to Harvard. So we're still at zero doors.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:48 am

Interested in seeing how long ventriloquist keeps insisting he/she's right and y'all are wrong.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:35 am

Ventriloquist, 0Ls aren't allowed to post in the transfers forum, so you need to stop.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”