40something 1L Looking to Transfer to UChi ED? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DMBfan1

New

40something 1L Looking to Transfer to UChi ED?

Post by DMBfan1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Hello all

I am currently a 1L at a school ranked in 50s on the West Coast. I have a 3.94 GPA and am unsure about class ranking, because my school only does it after the summer (I assume top 5-10% I had the highest score on two of three finals last semester in a section of 80+). I will be working at a federal district court this summer. I am considering applying to Chicago ED and wondering if I have a snowball's chance in hell? I have no ties to the area, but am interested in going because I am looking for more academic rigor. Post LS, I would like to clerk, then possibly do litigation somewhere, or teach.

I have a supportive partner who should be able to transfer within his company if we make a move. I would be giving up on $20k / yr in scholy for years 2 and 3.

So, why am I considering a transfer? I am pretty competitive, love challenges, and now that I am actually in LS, I am enjoying it and really want to see what I can do. Downside is that being a middle-aged 1L is no picnic, and starting over in a more competitive environment would be tough. I actually really like my school, but know that job prospects are tough when not coming from a top school. On the other hand, if I stay where I am, stay in top 10%, and do LR and moot court, I think I should be ok.

So, does anyone think I have a shot? Anyone know how UC looks at nontraditional students? (I have professional experience, but went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad). I like the ED option because it lets me know sooner and I can better plan for a move by not renewing current lease, journal write-on, etc.

Thanks.
Last edited by DMBfan1 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jader06

New

Re: 40something 1L Looking to Transfer to UChi ED?

Post by jader06 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm in a similar situation not as high GPA though. Congrats.

With your class rank, I wouldn't limit yourself to just UC. I'd apply to all the T10 and move to your favorite city. Judging from most of the responses here, you probably have a great shot at all but Yale.

Good luck

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 pm

You should get in. I'd apply to Harvard also if a company transfer is feasible

DMBfan1

New

Post by DMBfan1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks. Are grades and a LOR the primary criteria they consider with transfers? My LSAT was not great (median).

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 am

DMBfan1 wrote:Thanks. Are grades and a LOR the primary criteria they consider with transfers? My LSAT was not great (median).
The former two are the primary criteria. LSAT only comes into the calculus really at HYS, and even there, only at the very margin...Good luck!
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CheddarArachnid

New

Post by CheddarArachnid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Academic rigor and more competition are bad reasons to transfer. Focus on your career goals. Which schools will set you up best for a federal clerkship? It is a tough question to answer. On one hand your current school may actually set you up best for a clerkship if you can get all the institutional backing they have to offer. On the other hand, going to a school in the CCN-HYS range gives you a better shot at landing a clerkship in general. One thing to keep in mind is that if you do transfer and pursue a clerkship you will likely be relying on a couple of LOR's from your original school. Just some food for thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”