Top 10% at USC - Chances? Good idea? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10% at USC - Chances? Good idea?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 pm

- Top ~10% 1st semester GPA. 3+ years professional work experience. 171 LSAT. No leadership role at any law student organization.
- No-strings scholarship of $150k over three years. This puts me on track to graduate debt-free.
- Interested in biglaw, but preferably in LA or at least California. No ties, I just like the weather.
- No aspirations for clerkship, academia, or other "unicorn" jobs.
- Reasonably happy at current school; I'm not dying to get out.

1. What schools do I have a realistic chance at?

2. Should I even apply? I am thinking about it because:
(a) Maybe USC will offer me $ to stay (But how likely is that, given that I'm already getting $50k a year?)
(b) A vague concern that years down the road, some client or employer will look at "USC" and think to themselves, "Why hire this person when I can hire a HYS grad?"
(c) What if later on, I want to be in a different location? I imagine transferring up may give me a broader reach if I ever decide I want to leave California.

clshopeful

Bronze

Re: Top 10% at USC - Chances? Good idea?

Post by clshopeful » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Top 10% at USC would get you pretty much any non-HYS T14.

Yes, a T14 degree will have more portability than USC since USC is a regional school. However, the common anecdote on TLS is that after a few years of work, since you are at a Top25 anyway, you could lateral to east coast despite not attending an east coast school. I think regional schools affect most substantially your first job more than later ones. That said, you are in a great position; good chances at Biglaw and debt free. Transferring would mean paying sticker, so graduating with around 100k debt. Your call.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:- Top ~10% 1st semester GPA. 3+ years professional work experience. 171 LSAT. No leadership role at any law student organization.
- No-strings scholarship of $150k over three years. This puts me on track to graduate debt-free.
- Interested in biglaw, but preferably in LA or at least California. No ties, I just like the weather.

(a) Maybe USC will offer me $ to stay (But how likely is that, given that I'm already getting $50k a year?)
(b) A vague concern that years down the road, some client or employer will look at "USC" and think to themselves, "Why hire this person when I can hire a HYS grad?"
(c) What if later on, I want to be in a different location? I imagine transferring up may give me a broader reach if I ever decide I want to leave California.
I'd stay. If you want LA or Cali big law, you need to establish some ties (going to school there is a start) - and jumping ship to nyu, Chicago, Columbia will, imo, be a tougher sell. Prob need slightly better grades for Harvard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:02 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:- Top ~10% 1st semester GPA. 3+ years professional work experience. 171 LSAT. No leadership role at any law student organization.

I'd stay. If you want LA or Cali big law, you need to establish some ties (going to school there is a start) - and jumping ship to nyu, Chicago, Columbia will, imo, be a tougher sell. Prob need slightly better grades for Harvard.
OP here. Would a CCN acceptance work as a tactic to get more $ from USC?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

OP here. Would a CCN acceptance work as a tactic to get more $ from USC?
Could be. Probably worth the cost of the application. Although, some schools won't negotiate for rising 2Ls. Absolutely no clue if USC is one of those schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Well within the top 10% a couple years ago and didn't transfer- glad I didn't considering I just wanted LA biglaw

No idea about negotiating with the other acceptances

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:33 pm

No reason to transfer since you want LA/Cali biglaw and have great grades from a well-respected California law school. On top of that, you will graduate with a lot less debt at USC than elsewhere. I think this is one of the best examples of when transferring just doesn't make much sense.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Idk whether you should transfer or not, but I would apply to CC and see if you can use that to get more $$$ from USC. Might as well try right?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:39 pm

I'd apply to H and S and hell maybe even Y (for schools that you'd consider going to if you got in).

Then I'd apply to like Columbia, Berk, and NYU (which you probably will get into given you get the same grades) to leverage SC for $$$.

Staying at SC seems appealing to me if I were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 am

I think you're a lock everywhere except Y/S; H isn't that selective. I also wouldn't be surprised if you got Y, S, or both. I'd be shocked if you didn't get CCN. I transferred into CCN from a T20 with substantially worse grades than you (top ~20%).

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

Seems like you're in a pretty much ideal situation. Great position to get biglaw in the market you want, and no debt at graduation. I'd stay put, no question.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I think you're a lock everywhere except Y/S; H isn't that selective. I also wouldn't be surprised if you got Y, S, or both. I'd be shocked if you didn't get CCN. I transferred into CCN from a T20 with substantially worse grades than you (top ~20%).
While upbeat is great, this is really quite off as far as chances go.

H is not as selective as S or Y, true, but I know people in the top 2-3% at T-20s that didn't get in at H, much less top 10%. He's in the ballpark, but to suggest a lock is simply wrong.

Similarly, I wouldn't bother apping to Y if you aren't at least #2 in the class. They very rarely take *anyone* that's not already at a T14, and when they do, it's usually a unicorn that is also #1 in the class.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 am

Joscellin wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I think you're a lock everywhere except Y/S; H isn't that selective. I also wouldn't be surprised if you got Y, S, or both. I'd be shocked if you didn't get CCN. I transferred into CCN from a T20 with substantially worse grades than you (top ~20%).

H is not as selective as S or Y, true, but I know people in the top 2-3% at T-20s that didn't get in at H, much less top 10%. He's in the ballpark, but to suggest a lock is simply wrong.

Similarly, I wouldn't bother apping to Y if you aren't at least #2 in the class. They very rarely take *anyone* that's not already at a T14, and when they do, it's usually a unicorn that is also #1 in the class.
Think what you want. I could cite my shitty anecdotal data to shittily refute your shitty anecdotal data, but what's the point?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Think what you want. I could cite my shitty anecdotal data to shittily refute your shitty anecdotal data, but what's the point?
Way to double down on a pretty piss-poor opinion. OP should apply broadly, but outside of being one of the top 2 students at USC, OP's not getting admitted to Yale.

Also, Harvard rejects applicants in the top 10% from schools in the lower T-14 all the time. The odds are not bad coming from a T-14, but they're far from being a "lock."

You shouldn't really use your transfer into Columbia/NYU as indicative of anything...they routinely take median t-14 students as transfers. It's not surprising they'd take a top 20% T20 student willing to pay sticker
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:03 am

OP, you should apply to schools with the goal of getting USC to give you more money to stay. Even if they don't give you money, however, you should still stay.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:22 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

I mean, sure, talk out your ass more if you want.

My information comes from being a current H transfer from last cycle, from a school in the same band as OP (T20).

He's in the ballpark he needs to be in to make it worth applying, but suggesting that top 10% at USC is a lock at H is simply wrong, and badly so.

As to Yale, lol. Look at their 509's, they simply don't take people from below the T14 unless they're unicorns. Notice that last year, the *only* transfer they took outside T14 was one from Pepperdine, of all places (although they trolled a number of us pretty hard by sending us "Now that you've been accepted, here's your financial aid package" letters - without us actually getting in).

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 am

runinthefront wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Way to double down on a pretty piss-poor opinion. OP should apply broadly, but outside of being one of the top 2 students at USC, OP's not getting admitted to Yale.

Also, Harvard rejects applicants in the top 10% from schools in the lower T-14 all the time. The odds are not bad coming from a T-14, but they're far from being a "lock."

You shouldn't really use your transfer into Columbia/NYU as indicative of anything...they routinely take median t-14 students as transfers. It's not surprising they'd take a top 20% T20 student willing to pay sticker
Boom! The ultimate Columbia/NYU burn? (Btw, I'm at Chicago.)

Anecdotal data is just that. Again, maybe my T20 school had above-average results the year I transferred. And, again, anecdotal-data fights are questionable. But from my school, several went to H, and one went to Y. They were all around the top 5-10% range.

That's my piece. Pontificate as before.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CheddarArachnid

New

Post by CheddarArachnid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:20 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Anecdotal data is just that. Again, maybe my T20 school had above-average results the year I transferred. And, again, anecdotal-data fights are questionable. But from my school, several went to H, and one went to Y. They were all around the top 5-10% range.

Isn't part of the fun of transferring that it is a complete blackbox? It depends on the cycle, applicants and cranky admissions folks... Maybe we should stay away from blanket generalizations. No one is a lock for anything! But I can say that someone... not naming any names is still a little salty over Yale's rejection last cycle.

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

you're trying to frame everyone else's argument as "my anecdata is better than your anecdata." Nobody is saying that. Everyone is just pointing out that NOBODY is a lock for H at just top 10% in a 15-20 school, DESPITE the little bit of anecdata that might suggest otherwise. If anything, you're the one trying to get the most mileage out of your anecdotal evidence. hth

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:14 am

runinthefront wrote:OP, you should apply to schools with the goal of getting USC to give you more money to stay. Even if they don't give you money, however, you should still stay.
This honestly no reason to transfer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”