Transferring chances- gpa or class rank? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring chances- gpa or class rank?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Tl;dr- is transferring a function of 1l gpa or stricly class rank?

Hi all, long time lurker, just wanted to firstly say thanks for all the help!

So I've been accepted to several schools in the 16-25 range, and have more or less narrowed it down to two.

One of these is WUSTL, which is apparently known for grade inflation, whereas the other is Emory, which I looked into and seems to be quite the opposite of that (dean's list at 3.4 I believe?)

Now my question is:
Is transfering stricly a function of class rank, or does 1l GPA also matter? I know the ABA recently changed the rules and mandated that schools must report the 25/50/75 GPAs of transfers, and Im worried that GPA will become a bigger factor in next year's transfer cycle

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Transferring chances- gpa or class rank?

Post by runinthefront » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Do not do not do not do not attend any school with the intention of transferring. It's much easier to just sit out, get a job, study, and retake the LSAT.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tl;dr- is transferring a function of 1l gpa or stricly class rank?

So I've been accepted to several schools in the 16-25 range, and have more or less narrowed it down to two.

One of these is WUSTL, which is apparently known for grade inflation, whereas the other is Emory, which I looked into and seems to be quite the opposite of that (dean's list at 3.4 I believe?)

Now my question is:
Is transfering stricly a function of class rank, or does 1l GPA also matter? I know the ABA recently changed the rules and mandated that schools must report the 25/50/75 GPAs of transfers, and Im worried that GPA will become a bigger factor in next year's transfer cycle
1. Don't go to school with the idea of transferring

2. I'll give you an answer (because I transferred)

If you ignore all the advice you get, GO TO THE GRADE INFLATED SCHOOL - school's only report median GPAs of transfers (so rank is of less importance).

excusez-moi

New

Post by excusez-moi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:02 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Tl;dr- is transferring a function of 1l gpa or stricly class rank?

Now my question is:
1. Don't go to school with the idea of transferring

2. I'll give you an answer (because I transferred)

If you ignore all the advice you get, GO TO THE GRADE INFLATED SCHOOL - school's only report median GPAs of transfers (so rank is of less importance).
Second this. I was outside top 1/3 at WUSTL and had a number of T14 acceptances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for the responses, I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, however I can't seem to find a way to post it in the appropriate forum annonymously, would it be possible to move this thread there please?

Just to clear things up, sitting out a cycle is not something im contemplating. My UG GPA is awful, and thanks to my LSAT i've received substantial scholarships from both schools.

I also believe that I would be happy to graduate from either of these schools, but the transfer potential is something that I feel will propel me to excel during 1L (and if given the option would like to maximize the chances of actually happening), and will definetely play a factor in my decision as to where to attend.

I really appreciate all of your help, and if you have any other thoughts/things to contribute on the subject, please do.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses, I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, however I can't seem to find a way to post it in the appropriate forum annonymously, would it be possible to move this thread there please?

Just to clear things up, sitting out a cycle is not something im contemplating. My UG GPA is awful, and thanks to my LSAT i've received substantial scholarships from both schools.

I also believe that I would be happy to graduate from either of these schools, but the transfer potential is something that I feel will propel me to excel during 1L (and if given the option would like to maximize the chances of actually happening), and will definetely play a factor in my decision as to where to attend.

I really appreciate all of your help, and if you have any other thoughts/things to contribute on the subject, please do.
If you're considering Emory v. WUSTL please take note of the regional stuff with both (along with the grade inflation aspect). Emory will help you a lot in the SE and WUSTL is a midwestern school.

I honestly ended up going to a midwestern T1 for 1L (with money), with a little hunch that I may transfer if everything goes well, so I'm not going to press you as hard about the sit out thing. The biggest thing is: grades are a crapshoot. WUSTL is going to be full of very smart people and there's no guarantee to be above median. So just be prepared that you may have to stay at WUSTL or Emory..

But, both are sweet schools with gorgeous campuses etc... A lot different than someone going to a flyover TTT that has funding problems etc... with the intent of transferring.

Also I see you saw the 25/50/75 GPA for transfers. When I transferred (last summer) almost all schools reported that anyways

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:47 pm

runinthefront wrote:Do not do not do not do not attend any school with the intention of transferring. It's much easier to just sit out, get a job, study, and retake the LSAT.
I attended a TTT with sole intention of transferring (bad LSAT, coudn't get it up, and was not going to sit out a year), and transferred to T14. Agree it's not a good idea, but can be done.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:53 pm

clshopeful wrote:
runinthefront wrote:Do not do not do not do not attend any school with the intention of transferring. It's much easier to just sit out, get a job, study, and retake the LSAT.
I attended a TTT with sole intention of transferring (bad LSAT, coudn't get it up, and was not going to sit out a year), and transferred to T14. Agree it's not a good idea, but can be done.
Congratulations. Of course it can be done.

However, it doesn't negate that fact it was (and is) a foolish idea. And "t's [still] much easier to just sit out, get a job, study, and retake the LSAT."

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:27 pm

So, you can't post anonymously in the appropriate forum, and you can't post here until you've received law school grades, so I'm going to lock this. Feel free to ask in the correct forum, you just won't be able to go anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Transfers”