Does it make sense to: Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does it make sense to:

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 pm

1L here, at a T1 school. Does it make sense to transfer to Georgetown if I am doing well, get along very well with all my professors, want to do Big Law, have a summer associate position in a secondary market that has told me they will consider bringing me back assuming everything goes well, and paying in state tuition (which is much, much less than GT's). I don't hate my school, don't really like it either, but grads from there tend to do well in my area regardless of being there or Georgetown. Plus there's the possibility of making LR. At first I was devastated about not going to Georgetown originally (reading all these TLS posts about how anything outside of a T14 is a waste), but now I see that it's really not true nor necessary to accomplish one's goals ultimately. However, a part of me still feels like I'd like it better. What do you think?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Does it make sense to:

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:58 am

What are your stats at your current school?

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 am

NoDayButToday wrote:
If you have the GPA to transfer to GULC, you can probably also get into Chicago, Columbia, and NYU. If you're above their 75th, you probably have a shot at Harvard. And I think it's much more justifiable to transfer to one of those schools for prestige/improved outcomes, than to a lower T-14 or non T-14 school.

If you have the GPA to transfer to GULC, that does not mean you can probably get into CCN.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 am

OP here. The thing is I am not interested in transferring to NYU, Columbia, etc. Never even applied as a college student. Maybe Penn but that's a big maybe. I've just always had a thing for Georgetown and the dc area. I will admit it probably has to do with childhood dreams/prestige.

I guess before I started my first year my goal was to do well enough to transfer. Now, I've lost interest in it but the thought is still there. My biggest concern was going through OCI as a transfer plus the extra competition for LR. I'm almost positive I will make at least one journal at my current school. I guess I've got it well enough and probably won't have to go through OCI if I stay and my job asks me back. Plus my loans are significantly smaller than most. I will stay put.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Current 2L transfer at GULC. The school is great, DC is a great place to be, but if you are something like top 5% at your T1 and already have biglaw lined up, I don't see the point in transferring. I understand you have a thing for GULC, but not sure it's worth the debt. FWIW, however, the GT Law Journal does reserve spots for transfers. I personally know 5 transfers who made journal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:Current 2L transfer at GULC. The school is great, DC is a great place to be, but if you are something like top 5% at your T1 and already have biglaw lined up, I don't see the point in transferring. I understand you have a thing for GULC, but not sure it's worth the debt. FWIW, however, the GT Law Journal does reserve spots for transfers. I personally know 5 transfers who made journal.
OP here. It also seems to me that Georgetown alum really stick together and care about current students. There's pride. I don't feel the same about my current school. Alum seem to never reach back (I'm talking about URM alumni specifically since I am one). It's really disheartening. A part of me wants a degree somewhere I'd actually have really enjoyed and liked. My school is fine, employment wise and what not, but I'm not that crazy about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”