Getting 1L Summer Associate Position helps with transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
qwer8820

New

Getting 1L Summer Associate Position helps with transfer

Post by qwer8820 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 am

I'm at a T30 school with a GPA of 3.8+. Since the highest score in my school is A, I'm pretty sure I'm Top 10%, probably Top 5% too. Targeting Berkeley, SLS, UCLA, HLS, and NYU. I will do IP law and have strong tie to California. I already got an offer from a V30 firm's SF/Bay Area office for my 1L summer. Would that help with my transfer application? Also, do I have a good chance in any of my target school?

Any advice is appreciated.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Getting 1L Summer Associate Position helps with transfer

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am

Won't help.

Yes you have a good shot at your target schools.

totgafk180

New

Post by totgafk180 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 am

Yes it will help.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Of course this will help. Admissions officers won't admit it, but it will.

Do you think they're gonna get an application from a student to pay sticker and who already has a biglaw job offer (boosts their stats) and they'll say no?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

this seems like a pretty classic ~transferring is useless to you~ scenario

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

qwer8820

New

Post by qwer8820 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:this seems like a pretty classic ~transferring is useless to you~ scenario
I got similar comment from other people too. I don't think that will make big difference to get my first job, but maybe transferring will be helpful for future career, because of the stronger alumni network in my targeting school? Any idea?

And I really want to go back to CA, that is another reason for me to transfer.

qwer8820

New

Post by qwer8820 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:03 pm

estefanchanning wrote:Of course this will help. Admissions officers won't admit it, but it will.

Do you think they're gonna get an application from a student to pay sticker and who already has a biglaw job offer (boosts their stats) and they'll say no?
Thanks. I feel the same way, but good to confirm. Part of me still hope there's some kind of financial aid for transfer student....

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:15 pm

qwer8820 wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:Of course this will help. Admissions officers won't admit it, but it will.

Thanks. I feel the same way, but good to confirm. Part of me still hope there's some kind of financial aid for transfer student....
Be prepared to pay sticker.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 pm

qwer8820 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:this seems like a pretty classic ~transferring is useless to you~ scenario
I got similar comment from other people too. I don't think that will make big difference to get my first job, but maybe transferring will be helpful for future career, because of the stronger alumni network in my targeting school? Any idea?

I really can't speak to networking opportunities but consider that huge debt massively limits your career flexibility. If you're on any kind of aid at your T30, or if it otherwise costs less than the school you would transfer you could be limiting your career options anyway, in addition to just having more loans to pay back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:20 am

qwer8820 wrote:

It's not completely out of the question. I know of several people who were able to get fin aid from their transfer schools. Granted, they had inside connections to those schools, but bottom line is, it's do-able.

qwer8820

New

Post by qwer8820 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
qwer8820 wrote:

I really can't speak to networking opportunities but consider that huge debt massively limits your career flexibility. If you're on any kind of aid at your T30, or if it otherwise costs less than the school you would transfer you could be limiting your career options anyway, in addition to just having more loans to pay back.
I did get a small scholarship at my current school and it will definitely cost more to attend any of my target school. I won't have any debt either way, just less saving if I did transfer. So money is not a huge factor, but something to consider.

qwer8820

New

Post by qwer8820 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:51 am

estefanchanning wrote:
qwer8820 wrote:

It's not completely out of the question. I know of several people who were able to get fin aid from their transfer schools. Granted, they had inside connections to those schools, but bottom line is, it's do-able.
Thank you! Good to know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”