Worth it to transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth it to transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 am

Finished my 1L semester top 10% at American. Due to my low lsat score (had to work full time to support myself. Who does that? Lol) I was forced to pay sticker, not going to law school wasn't an option for me, so I went. Lurked a bit and I've decided that if I'm going to be in debt, might as well do it at a decent school. I've set my mind to GULC, is it worth it?

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Worth it to transfer?

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 am

Yes

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:32 am

If you're already paying sticker, then there's literally no reason not to transfer. Aim for higher than GULC though if it's an option. Coming out of GULC with around $300K still isn't a great outcome. Crush it this semester and try to go somewhere better.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 am

You can get into a T-14 with those stats...so yes, transfer, just transfer somewhere better than GULC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Trying to remain anonymous for now because of all the negative feedback I've heard of American doing to people that want to transfer. I'm also considering Columbia, Berk, and UCLA. Hopefully the last two because I'm originally from California. So far I love it here, and Georgetown kind of hooked me into the whole DC phenomena. What are all your guys' thoughts on GULC?

Also if some insight into American and their backlash on transfers is available that would be helpful. I'm very paranoid of the administration finding out and attempting to get me to stay by throwing pennies at me.

Thanks guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to remain anonymous for now because of all the negative feedback I've heard of American doing to people that want to transfer. I'm also considering Columbia, Berk, and UCLA. Hopefully the last two because I'm originally from California. So far I love it here, and Georgetown kind of hooked me into the whole DC phenomena. What are all your guys' thoughts on GULC?

Also if some insight into American and their backlash on transfers is available that would be helpful. I'm very paranoid of the administration finding out and attempting to get me to stay by throwing pennies at me.

Thanks guys!
Why would you be afraid of them throwing money at you to stay? I'd be concerned about administration trying to block letters of rec. etc. more than trying to offer small scholarships to stay. You absolutely want to be discrete in seeking out transfer materials, but being offered scholarships shouldn't be one of them.

GULC at sticker is not a great place to be, but it's an infinitely better place to be than American at sticker. You need to transfer, but ideally you should transfer somewhere other than GULC, especially if you're from CA and want to return there. Berkeley or Columbia should be your goal. Keep those grades up and improve your chance of an outcome that will allow you to service the debt you're taking on.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Yes... Crush it this semester and aim for T13.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 pm

I think the most I'm afraid of is not being able to get the LORs. I've already passed the deadline for EA GULC. I have no problem doing good this semester, as I am determined to kill it.

Does anyone have experience or ways to get around this potential blockade? Or what I am to expect?

I mean I've researched the transfer ratio going out, and obviously it can be done (GW taking in like what 60?). What are some tips?

EDIT: I've become very close to a few of the professors there, but I'm afraid to ask. I've read the thread by arrow, and I understand that they're probably asked all the time. But not sure if that'll be the case at American specifically.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:32 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:Wait. I'm confused. What does American do to people who want to transfer? This is a kind of weird post :shock:

Also, there are two AU WCL transfers in my class at NYU, so I agree with people saying shoot higher.
I think there might be some angst at American to transfer because like 20% or some crazy amount of their class transfers. OP, I transferred and experienced NOTHING negative from LOR writers. My advice is that LORs (that are positive) don't matter TOO MUCH, so I asked newer profs to write mine as they'd be less likely to talk someone into staying. Also telling them you're going to apply to their alma matter helps as well (IME). If you have any problems feel free to PM me.

I have heard some horror stories of school admins stalling to send official transcripts and letters of good standing, so the best thing to do is start early. Also you should definitely transfer, so get in the mindset now you aren't coming back to American (of course don't be a dick to classmates etc...), but work on great grades to go to a great school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:33 am

OP here:

Thank you for your insight, that released some of the weight that I had going on my shoulders. Assuming that I kill this semester and get around top 5%, I've set my mind on Berk, UCLA (from los angeles area so I kind of feel like I have to) and shoot for Stanford even though it's probably a long shot. I love DC so I'm inclined to at least do GULC and GW as a back up in case something happens down the line during the semester.

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats when you transferred and where were you accepted? And how are your job prospects as a transfer? I want to work in BigFed, or work for a firm and then move to BigFed eventually. Seeing as how my loans will be up to my throat I probably won't be able to clerk after graduation but I do have it open as a possibility.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

Thank you for your insight, that released some of the weight that I had going on my shoulders. Assuming that I kill this semester and get around top 5%, I've set my mind on Berk, UCLA (from los angeles area so I kind of feel like I have to) and shoot for Stanford even though it's probably a long shot. I love DC so I'm inclined to at least do GULC and GW as a back up in case something happens down the line during the semester.

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats when you transferred and where were you accepted? And how are your job prospects as a transfer? I want to work in BigFed, or work for a firm and then move to BigFed eventually. Seeing as how my loans will be up to my throat I probably won't be able to clerk after graduation but I do have it open as a possibility.
I wouldn't even bother sending an app to GW. Top 5% at American will probably have better results than a transfer at GW.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 am

Agree you should aim higher. Top 5% at AU should get you into 1 or 2 schools in the top half of the T-whatever is convention now. Also, I probably wouldn't transfer to a west coast school if you want to work in DC and/or for the Federal Government. And if you want to keep your options open on the west coast, any of the top schools will give you a good shot to go back there. When I looked at it awhile back (5 years?), Columbia seemed to stand out as placing really well into biglaw in CA.

Re the professors, take a look at their bios and see where they went to school. Most likely they went to pretty highly ranked schools. You can set up a time to talk to them about why they chose their schools and tell them how the opportunities the higher ranked schools have to offer. That helps frame a discussion about why it's in your best interest to transfer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Aim higher if your goal is big law, but be careful going to Berkley unless you have very strong CA connections. If you can finish in the top 10% and get LR, I would stay over going to GULC. If you get top 15 or 20%, then push for GULC as your chances will be better there at getting a job.

I know a few people who went to GULC and those who stayed (in the top 10% and LR) did better at OCI as AU has no OCI lottery and you will get a screener with at least 15 DC firms. Everyone in 5% at AU gets their pick of DC big law and many of the top 10% do well. Many of the top 10% at AU have no interest in big law, so literally the top 30 students are competing for 25 good big law jobs at each OCI. I know a few who went to Berkley and USC and they actually struck out at those OCI's as they only went for CA firms. If they went for NYC, then maybe they would have done better.

I also know some that went to Columbia and they ended up at the same firms that the kids who stayed at AU got. However, they had more choices as they got about 5 offers, when at AU they would have gotten 2-3.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:36 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

I wouldn't even bother sending an app to GW. Top 5% at American will probably have better results than a transfer at GW.

If you are in the bottom 50% at AU, then apply to GW. People in the top 20% at AU do better than those who transfer to GW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:14 pm

OP here

Y'all are really helping me through this process and I appreciate it lots. Fingers crossed on getting LR. Didn't leave my room for an entire week during write on and I think I have a good chance of at least getting on a journal.

I've talked to a lot of top % 2Ls who have quite a few jobs lined up with clerkships/firms so I'm debating on whether to just apply for leverage on more scholly money (if it's pennies then I might end up just transferring. Don't know how American tries to keep people from transferring so I guess I'll find out).

Honestly I think I'm gonna throw a few Hail Mary's to the trinity and Columbia, possibly NYU. I've heard GULC gives out aid if needed. Coming from a single parent household I think I'll fair well with getting way more money than I started off with. But we shall see.

Fingers crossed URM helps my case a bit :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”