Anyone else got cold feet on transferring bc of friends? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone else got cold feet on transferring bc of friends?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 am

I went to my current school (T25) without scholly dead set on transfer to T4-10 in a major city because of job prospect. Against the odds I got the necessary grade. Of course, I don't have school offers in my hand and there are more finals ahead, but I am reasonably confident about my transfer chance.

But, recently I got cold feet on transferring because I really like my friends here. We party and hang out and work together a lot and I really enjoy the friendship. On a deeper level, I have the same plan on life as they do -- getting some capital together from big law job and then start a small business and do interesting stuff.

I've been moving around since high school and want to settle down. And this city is pretty good. My friends and I are planning to get an apartment next semester. Having awesome friends who want me in their life just feel great and I don't know if I can get the same thing if I transfer. My friends won't transfer because of family ties and scholly and grade.

I wouldn't consider risking my career just because of my friends. I got the impression from itbdvorm (V15 partner in Legal Employment forum) that transferring would not increase my chance at landing big law, because firms would compare my GPA to GPA cut off at my 1L school. I am not sure if this is the consensus.

I am already at the top at this school. So, worst case scenario for not transferring, I live here for two more years, have a blast and get a big law job either here or in NY/SF. I don't care much about prestige or other stuff that come with better ranked schools, other than job security.

What do people think? People who transferred, how did you deal with losing connection and getting new ones? People who decided to stay, what's your experience and do you regret your decision?

Lexigator

New

Re: Anyone else got cold feet on transferring bc of friends?

Post by Lexigator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:45 am

This is why Facebook exists. The friends I'm closest with live in different states. It's just part of life.
You sound comfortable, which is fine. But if you're just doing it for friends, that's a poor idea. Think of the Spice Girls. They made a whole song about how if you're going to be with one of them, then you have to be with their friends too, because "friendship never ends." Then they broke up, Posh married Beckham and never talked to those bitches again. Don't choose Scary Spice over finding your Beckham. I'm pretty tired, but seriously, if it's just friends you'll see them on breaks or whatever. It sounds more like you're just a wee bit nervous too start over again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:33 am

Lexigator wrote:This is why Facebook exists. The friends I'm closest with live in different states. It's just part of life.
You sound comfortable, which is fine. But if you're just doing it for friends, that's a poor idea. Think of the Spice Girls. They made a whole song about how if you're going to be with one of them, then you have to be with their friends too, because "friendship never ends." Then they broke up, Posh married Beckham and never talked to those bitches again. Don't choose Scary Spice over finding your Beckham. I'm pretty tired, but seriously, if it's just friends you'll see them on breaks or whatever. It sounds more like you're just a wee bit nervous too start over again.
OP

I don't know. I can't do Facebook friendships. I can't even do long distance relationship for SO. I don't want to discount anyone's LDR but, for me, it's not adequate substitute. For me, either we see each other every week or we are not actually friends.

I am really nervous about starting all over. I didn't have close friends for years and don't want to risk that for transferring up 15~20 spots, which I am not even sure helps with getting a job either here or in NYC.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lexigator wrote:This is why Facebook exists. The friends I'm closest with live in different states. It's just part of life.
OP

I don't know. I can't do Facebook friendships. I can't even do long distance relationship for SO. I don't want to discount anyone's LDR but, for me, it's not adequate substitute. For me, either we see each other every week or we are not actually friends.

I am really nervous about starting all over. I didn't have close friends for years and don't want to risk that for transferring up 15~20 spots, which I am not even sure helps with getting a job either here or in NYC.
Chances are good you will graduate from your current school, and then get a job, and then not see these people often anyways. Do what is better for your career in the long term, not what makes you feel comfortable (i.e. the status quo) for the short term.

If you have good grades, and you are OK with your outcomes where you are, stay... if not, transfer. But don't do it for friends and nothing else.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am

This is a pretty dumb reason to stay somewhere, particularly at sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:59 am

Nebby wrote:This is a pretty dumb reason to stay somewhere, particularly at sticker.
I tried to soften the blow with a terrible spice girls analogy, but yeah. You're hitting the nail on the head here.

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 pm

No scholarship and top of the class- I'd transfer in a heartbeat. From experience, I know moving around a lot sucks, but it isn't like you're moving away from your wife or something- you'll be homies with these friends when you see them and make new ones at your new school/job. You can always get the transfer acceptances and see if your current school will move you to a big scholarship (have read about this on here but idk if its actually a thing)

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:47 pm

First year associate here. I finished near the top of my class 1L year at a T1 regional school and briefly considered transferring. I wanted to work in the market where my school was located though so I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost to go somewhere that probably wouldn't help my goals anyway. I will say that my 2L and 3L years were a blast and I met some really cool people that I still regularly see after graduating. Further, in (relatively) smaller legal communities, those friendships could also pay dividends professionally down the road. You talked about either wanting to stay in your local market or go somewhere else like NYC. If you are gonna go to NYC, the friendships may matter less as you will be leaving anyway, and the network may not last. If you see yourself staying in that market, not only are the friendships more likely to last long term, but you will strengthen your future professional network. Finally, also consider what makes you happy. Even if you transfer and have a better job outcome, if it leaves you miserable and alone then it probably isn't worth it.
Last edited by lawhopeful100 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 pm

OP, will your school negotiate a scholarship with you? If so, I'd apply to use it as leverage even if you decide to stay. And yes, I went through the same thought process as you when I was considering transferring. Ultimately, I decided to only apply to a handful of schools that would make unicorn goals possible because I didn't feel that it was worth it to leave otherwise. I didn't get into those schools and ended up staying at my T1. I am graduating in a couple months and am very happy that I didn't transfer.

I disagree with those telling you it's a dumb reason not to transfer. Being happy and enjoying your time in law school is worth more to me than a prestige boost. Transferring will offer more opportunities because OCIs at top schools attract more firms, but you still have the opportunity to mass mail this summer (and I recommend that) even if you don't transfer. It is true that transferring won't likely get you a job with a firm who wouldn't have considered you at your previous school.

If your school won't negotiate with you, you'll have to determine whether you think it's worth staying or going but wanting to stay for your friends is absolutely understandable and defensible. If you're at the top of the class, I wouldn't sweat it much. You'll do well whether you stay or go.

Only issue is that it would be nice if you could get a nice scholarship from your school. You may end up not liking biglaw, so it would be nice to take on less debt to have more flexibility in choosing your career.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by BVest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”