Tailored HYS LORs for transferring? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tailored HYS LORs for transferring?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 am

Hi, I'll be applying to transfer to HYS soon and am gathering LORs. Both of my LOR writers went to one of HYS (the same one). I have two questions:

1) I'm thinking of having both of my professors write a tailored LOR to the HYS that they went to. How exactly should I go about having them do this and what should they tailor their letter to exactly? On a side note, one of my reasons for transferring is that I have a significant other at the HYS that my professors went to. Should I mention this to them?

2) Both of my professors asked me whether there's anything I would like them to focus the LOR on. For transfers, what would good focus points be?

I'm asking this now because I will be sending them my materials soon to give them adequate time to write the letter. Thanks! :D

Please don't quote.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Tailored HYS LORs for transferring?

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 am

I have no idea what a targeted LOR in this instance would look like. "Yo I went to your school and this kid is good." That's not very persuasive nor do adcomms care.

For transfer LOR, they should focus on why you're a good student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am

Nebby wrote:I have no idea what a targeted LOR in this instance would look like. "Yo I went to your school and this kid is good." That's not very persuasive nor do adcomms care.

I was thinking something along the lines of: based on their experience at X school, I'd be a great fit at X school for ___ reasons. I just thought that invoking their ties to the school (as alum) would be beneficial for me. Am I overthinking this?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:I have no idea what a targeted LOR in this instance would look like. "Yo I went to your school and this kid is good." That's not very persuasive nor do adcomms care.

I was thinking something along the lines of: based on their experience at X school, I'd be a great fit at X school for ___ reasons. I just thought that invoking their ties to the school (as alum) would be beneficial for me. Am I overthinking this?
Yes

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:35 am

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes
I agree. Sure, they can say something like "As an X alum, I know that OP will thrive/be a great fit at X," but that's really trivially easy to say, and I don't know how they get more specific in a way that's likely to help you very much and not come off as super awkward. ("I remember 1000 years ago when I went to X with profs who are all probably dead or retired now. I assume that experience is still totally representative, and OP will fit right in!")

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. Anyone have opinions on the "what would I like [them] to include" question?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”