Targeted Personal Statements Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bartolomeus

New

Targeted Personal Statements

Post by Bartolomeus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:24 am

Dear TLS,

I wanted to get some opinions on a question I have regarding a transfer student's personal statement. I feel somewhat goofy asking this considering that the additional effort required is not immense, but do any of you think that particularizing my personal statement per each school I apply to is worth the effort? For example, at least a couple of schools have particular faculty members whose work and teaching I am interested in; would it be worthwhile to mention this interest, or is there some downside that I'm just not appreciating?

Thanks

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Targeted Personal Statements

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:38 pm

I particularized my personal statements and I think you should to.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:50 pm

I didn't really, at all, but I should have. It's so little work and I think that you should do what you can to increase your chances.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Goldie wrote:I didn't really, at all, but I should have. It's so little work and I think that you should do what you can to increase your chances.
Yup.

I think personalizing helped me a lot. My stats were T2, Top 5%. I personalized both of my statements to NYU and CLS, and part of that involved explaining my desire to pursue enviro impact litigation. I also said that their respective LRAPs would help me achieve this goal, and also commented on their respective opportunities to learn more about enviro law (enviro journal, enviro student org, well-known enviro professor/s, etc.).

CLS doesn't get a lot of PI people, particular transfers, and the school is making a conscious effort to recruit more PI students to diversify the school's alumni base. I was not selected during NYU's first round of admissions, but I was at CLS. I am pretty sure that is because, whereas NYU gets a lot of PI kids, CLS chose me partly because of my PI interests and that differentiated me enough to get in compared to other people with similar stats who did not.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by BVest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”