Transfer T20 -> NYC Regional ever advisable? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer T20 -> NYC Regional ever advisable?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure how helpful making a topic will be, but I'm feeling a bit conflicted about what to do. I'm at UT/Vandy/UCLA with a tiny bit of money, and this time last year was debating between this, a few options in the T30, and near-full to full rides at Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, etc. I grew up in NY, worked for a few years before law school, maxed out my retakes, and languished on a bunch of T14 waitlists before semi-happily enrolling where I am. I decided that I wanted to get away from NY for a bit and this might be a good time to do it. I am lucky and am not debt-financing.

Fast-forward to now, and I'm regretting my choice quite a bit. I don't particularly like the school or the city it's in, and miss NY more than I expected. I'm interested in a somewhat niche area of law, and the professor I was excited to study with here has stopped teaching. I'm not thrilled with the clinic options. My school doesn't rank - I'm above median, but just by a hair, and that's based around what median is rumored to be (not any sort of reported rank, so I'm not really sure). I like my classes far less this semester, but am attempting to pull my grades up. My goals going into law school included BigFed, but that obviously is on hold for now. I'm not BigLaw or bust, but will probably attempt to do that now that government options are more volatile, though I don't exactly have a terrific chance at success from here if my grades stay the same. I do have a PI-friendly resume and would consider pursuing a specific area of PI law; as well as state or city government back in NY, which I was already interested in in the long-term. My perception is that I would be much better-situated at one of the schools I turned down last year than I am coming from my current school, and I would much rather spend the next two years in NY. They all appear to have externships and clinics that I'm interested in, and it seems like this would be a better way to break into the work I ultimately want to do/if BigLaw is off the table, and yes, I know I should have chosen differently last year. My GPA is above 50th percentile & 75th percentile for all of them, per the 509s.

However, it feels slightly insane to do something like this, especially when people transfer from these schools to my school every year. Additionally, while money isn't the largest factor, it seems absurd to beg schools who were throwing money at me last year to let me in/pay full price. I've also heard that they don't let transfers participate in OCI/write-on at a bunch of them - any insights? I know the correct answer is to 'get my GPA up enough to get into NYU' (weirdly, per 509s, it seems like it might still be on the table) but I definitely can't count on that. I'm not exactly thrilled by the prospect of doing this, but I'm not exactly thrilled with my current situation, either.

Thanks in advance, and I know a lot of this is personal/tough to seek advice from on a forum, but I'm wondering how ridiculous something like this would be.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Transfer T20 -> NYC Regional ever advisable?

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:58 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elendinel

Silver

Re: Transfer T20 -> NYC Regional ever advisable?

Post by elendinel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:My goals going into law school included BigFed, but that obviously is on hold for now. I'm not BigLaw or bust....I do have a PI-friendly resume and would consider pursuing a specific area of PI law; as well as state or city government back in NY, which I was already interested in in the long-term.
If your goal is still biglaw at any point of your life, try for NYU/Fordham (ideally the former, but you could also be fine with the latter if you hustle a bit). For BigFed, definitely NYU.

If you're interested/fine with in PI/DA/PD/AG offices in NYC, NYU/Fordham/Brooklyn would all be fine. The ranking you'd have to maintain at Brooklyn to get your choice office depends on where you're applying, but people didn't have a whole lot of issues getting those sorts of jobs this year there, despite its horrific ranking. At all of them, just be prepared to use the resources they have to the fullest extent possible, and taking over a lot of responsibility for figuring out for yourself how to get yourself to the job you want.

Do not pay to go to Brooklyn.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”