2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Generic1L
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Generic1L » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am

School Tier: TTT
GPA: 3.84 (~5%)
CALI(s): (Not applicable)
Summer: Texas AG Law Clerk

User avatar
Heisenbyrd
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Heisenbyrd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Who's already pretty set on the D.C area if they get into GULC? Any locals? I'd like to pick your brain.

Associate
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Associate » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am

Heisenbyrd wrote:Who's already pretty set on the D.C area if they get into GULC? Any locals? I'd like to pick your brain.


Seconded. I've been interviewing for a summer position in D.C. and don't know the ins and outs of the city. The last time I was in D.C. was when we took a school trip in 7th grade :mrgreen:

Anonymous User
Posts: 282728
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Sent in the app to GULC EA about a week ago, thought I would try to get this going.




I know its the "wrong thread." Just trying to be efficient though...any chance at Chicago ED with these, I mean even worth the application fee? What about NU, Michigan or NYU regular decision with similar stats at end of year?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

acethebar
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby acethebar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am

Heisenbyrd wrote:Who's already pretty set on the D.C area if they get into GULC? Any locals? I'd like to pick your brain.

I'm a local. What would you like to know about the area? I'm TTT 10%.

federalist2019
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby federalist2019 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Chances?

TTT
3.934
Top 4% (8/214)
Accepted into Georgetown London Summer Program, FWIW

nrthwst4now
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby nrthwst4now » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:31 pm

federalist2019 wrote:Chances?

TTT
3.934
Top 4%
Accepted into Georgetown London Summer Program, FWIW


I'm not an expert, but if you look through the previous years threads you are more than competitive for EA. Check 2016 and 2015 EA threads to confirm what I am saying.

Also, we could know soon. Last year, it took til like April 20, but previous years EA's were notified as early as the 3rd...

Are people on this thread aware of the "backdoor" access method of determining acceptance?
It is basically that you go to the admitted students page, click "NO PASSWORD" then enter your info. If the system recognizes you then you are in - this usually happens right before emails go out (according to previous threads)...

federalist2019
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby federalist2019 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:
federalist2019 wrote:Chances?

TTT
3.934
Top 4%
Accepted into Georgetown London Summer Program, FWIW


I'm not an expert, but if you look through the previous years threads you are more than competitive for EA. Check 2016 and 2015 EA threads to confirm what I am saying.

Also, we could know soon. Last year, it took til like April 20, but previous years EA's were notified as early as the 3rd...

Are people on this thread aware of the "backdoor" access method of determining acceptance?
It is basically that you go to the admitted students page, click "NO PASSWORD" then enter your info. If the system recognizes you then you are in - this usually happens right before emails go out (according to previous threads)...


The "backdoor" didn't work for me as of just now. Hopefully it's a matter of decisions not being made yet.

nrthwst4now
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby nrthwst4now » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:59 pm

federalist2019 wrote:
nrthwst4now wrote:
federalist2019 wrote:Chances?

TTT
3.934
Top 4%
Accepted into Georgetown London Summer Program, FWIW


I'm not an expert, but if you look through the previous years threads you are more than competitive for EA. Check 2016 and 2015 EA threads to confirm what I am saying.

Also, we could know soon. Last year, it took til like April 20, but previous years EA's were notified as early as the 3rd...

Are people on this thread aware of the "backdoor" access method of determining acceptance?
It is basically that you go to the admitted students page, click "NO PASSWORD" then enter your info. If the system recognizes you then you are in - this usually happens right before emails go out (according to previous threads)...


The "backdoor" didn't work for me as of just now. Hopefully it's a matter of decisions not being made yet.


I would not stress that. I was mainly putting it up for the next few weeks. It really could still be 2+ weeks until we know. However, I am neurotic so I will be checking that daily lol :)

CR2019
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby CR2019 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:
federalist2019 wrote:
nrthwst4now wrote:
federalist2019 wrote:Chances?

TTT
3.934
Top 4%
Accepted into Georgetown London Summer Program, FWIW


I'm not an expert, but if you look through the previous years threads you are more than competitive for EA. Check 2016 and 2015 EA threads to confirm what I am saying.

Also, we could know soon. Last year, it took til like April 20, but previous years EA's were notified as early as the 3rd...

Are people on this thread aware of the "backdoor" access method of determining acceptance?
It is basically that you go to the admitted students page, click "NO PASSWORD" then enter your info. If the system recognizes you then you are in - this usually happens right before emails go out (according to previous threads)...


The "backdoor" didn't work for me as of just now. Hopefully it's a matter of decisions not being made yet.


I would not stress that. I was mainly putting it up for the next few weeks. It really could still be 2+ weeks until we know. However, I am neurotic so I will be checking that daily lol :)


Yeah submitted my app mid February so the waiting is really killing me. This backdoor method is a new way for me to freak out.

nrthwst4now
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby nrthwst4now » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:45 pm

I have lost hours off of my life by scouring previous years threads looking for comparable applicants then reading their posts to determine if/ when they were accepted to GULC and other schools. I highly suggest it if you don't want to do anything productive...
Last edited by nrthwst4now on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawstudent5
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Lawstudent5 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:59 pm

I really hope we find out this week!

User avatar
Heisenbyrd
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Heisenbyrd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 am

Not going to lie, the spike of activity on this thread really got my heart rate up.

No luck on the backdoor just yet! It's been a couple years since decisions came out this early. But so is the cyclic nature of the universe. Someone should call over anonymously in the next week or so.

Neirsusca
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Neirsusca » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm

TTT

GPA: 3.94

RANK: 10%, my school only ranks in 10% increments :evil: (I've written several strongly worded letters)

CALI: 1

I'm from CA and only applied to Georgetown. I'll probably apply to GW if I don't get in, I want to be in DC.

tcufrog1873
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 9:54 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby tcufrog1873 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 pm

tcufrog1873 wrote:School Tier: T1
GPA: 3.2
Class Rank: Top 30%
CALI(s): 1
Summer: Interning for Senate member in D.C.



Anyone care to speculate on my chances? Got LOR from dean of current school, who I have a personal relationship with, and he is a GULC grad. Also, not needing financial aid (don't know how much that helps, if at all)

nrthwst4now
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby nrthwst4now » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 pm

tcufrog1873 wrote:
tcufrog1873 wrote:School Tier: T1
GPA: 3.2
Class Rank: Top 30%
CALI(s): 1
Summer: Interning for Senate member in D.C.



Anyone care to speculate on my chances? Got LOR from dean of current school, who I have a personal relationship with, and he is a GULC grad. Also, not needing financial aid (don't know how much that helps, if at all)


Have you looked at previous years threads for comparable applicants and checked their individual posts to determine where they ended up? Try the link at the beginning of the thread scroll to where admits start and do some digging.

Associate
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Associate » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 am

tcufrog1873 wrote:
tcufrog1873 wrote:School Tier: T1
GPA: 3.2
Class Rank: Top 30%
CALI(s): 1
Summer: Interning for Senate member in D.C.



Anyone care to speculate on my chances? Got LOR from dean of current school, who I have a personal relationship with, and he is a GULC grad. Also, not needing financial aid (don't know how much that helps, if at all)


I agree with the above post about digging thru past threads. That gives you the possibility of finding someone with the same/similar stats as you. However, you could also consider what T1 you attend as a general guide:

To transfer into the T14 you need:

- top 10-15% at T1, top 5-10% for CCN
- top 5-10% at a T2, top 5% for CCN
- top 1-2% at a T3/T4
- Other notes: Depending on how far up you want to transfer, you may even succeed if you are ranked top 20-30%. For example, if you are transferring up 10-15 spots, top 20-30% maybe enough (like a lateral transfer)...


[taken from the TLS transfer advice article]

federalist2019
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby federalist2019 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am

Associate wrote:
tcufrog1873 wrote:
tcufrog1873 wrote:School Tier: T1
GPA: 3.2
Class Rank: Top 30%
CALI(s): 1
Summer: Interning for Senate member in D.C.



Anyone care to speculate on my chances? Got LOR from dean of current school, who I have a personal relationship with, and he is a GULC grad. Also, not needing financial aid (don't know how much that helps, if at all)


I agree with the above post about digging thru past threads. That gives you the possibility of finding someone with the same/similar stats as you. However, you could also consider what T1 you attend as a general guide:

To transfer into the T14 you need:

- top 10-15% at T1, top 5-10% for CCN
- top 5-10% at a T2, top 5% for CCN
- top 1-2% at a T3/T4
- Other notes: Depending on how far up you want to transfer, you may even succeed if you are ranked top 20-30%. For example, if you are transferring up 10-15 spots, top 20-30% maybe enough (like a lateral transfer)...


[taken from the TLS transfer advice article]

My only additional comment would be that GULC is a very large school and takes more transfers than the average, thus they could be more flexible than the general guidelines from the TLS transfer advice article.

On another note, here we are on Monday...hopefully this is the week!

drmalfoy
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby drmalfoy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 pm

I called over to the admission's office. They said that the applications were under review. They were non-committal as to a potential turnaround though, and stated, "Decisions are typically rendered during the second half of April." In the past they've said, "early May," so that may be a good sign!

HelpMe!!
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby HelpMe!! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Has anyone noticed anything different on their application status page? Mine says application completed (not sure if it said "complete" prior to today). I still don't have anything under citizenship, in the mailings box, or in the current status date or decision status/date. Hopefully we'll be finding out this week or next.

Best of luck to everyone!

grootforlife
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:39 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby grootforlife » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:41 am

Nope, I hadn't seen any changes on my status check either :? :?

grootforlife
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:39 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby grootforlife » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 am

has anyone tried backdoor? It's not working for me (for now, hopefully).

Lawstudent5
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Lawstudent5 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:50 am

No updates yet for me either

Anonymous User
Posts: 282728
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 am

Would the people who recently commented mind sharing their stats? It helps us kill the time by calculating our odds off of mere speculation...

Thanks!

I'm thinking next week since the office is closed for Good Friday...IDK though.

Lawstudent5
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 am

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Postby Lawstudent5 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:08 am

T3- 3.9x
Hopefully will hear soon!




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.