2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HelpMe!!

New

Re: 2017 GULC EA Transfer Thread

Post by HelpMe!! » Tue May 02, 2017 3:57 am

Just got home from studying for finals. I hadn't heard anything from Georgetown up until today, so I called them this morning. They said my application was still under review, but I should be hearing back soon. I checked my Check App Status page a few minutes ago when I got home and noticed my apartment number had switched from "#" to "Number." After seeing this, I went to backdoor to see if it would work and it did!!! I am so relieved it worked...although I'm not going to completely believe this until I get my letter. However, I was able to change my login username and password, so I think I am good. Hopefully this will give those who haven't heard back yet this year or next year some hope that they still have a chance because I thought I was definitely going to be deferred. Excited to meet you all next Fall!!!

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Tue May 02, 2017 2:01 pm

So what happens if the grades drop the second semester? Any ideas as to thresholds at which it becomes unacceptable? Like, 0.2 drop is okay, but 0.3 would not be okay?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue May 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Shootin wrote:So what happens if the grades drop the second semester? Any ideas as to thresholds at which it becomes unacceptable? Like, 0.2 drop is okay, but 0.3 would not be okay?
It would take a lot more than that to rescind the admissions offer. Don't take too much comfort in this as you will be judged on your 1L grades for jobs next summer. Just keep up the good work.

Hilary Clintonian

New

Post by Hilary Clintonian » Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Does anyone know how transfers do at OCI with respect to big law?

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Tue May 02, 2017 7:29 pm

Backdoor finally worked.

Good luck on finals everyone, and good luck for all those waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xucinai

New

Post by xucinai » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 pm

Got the admission letter last friday, which dated back to Apr. 25th. It seemed that they could be quite slow on this.

HelpMe!!

New

Post by HelpMe!! » Wed May 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Acceptance letter came in today!! So my experience is as follows:

No status change on application status page until:
Address change on Apartment from "#" to number: May 1
Backdoor Worked: May 1/2--not sure on exact date because I checked after 12am, making it May 2
Acceptance Letter:May 3

Best of luck to everyone still waiting and to future applicants!

Caribgyal

New

Post by Caribgyal » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Got my acceptance yesterday!!!
Stats:
T4
~3.80;
5 CALI Awards;
#3 class rank
2 internships during school year (judicial, immigration)
Summer: US Fed government agency
Look forward to meeting you guys at orientation! Hopefully a Facebook group can get set up!
Last edited by Caribgyal on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caribgyal

New

Post by Caribgyal » Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Also, I still have not been able to access backdoor but my acceptance letter was marked April 25th. My USA citizenship was entered on the 27th. Permanent mailing address change on the 28th. I thought that meant my letter was going to my parents' house but the letter came to my temporary address. I think they just updated my file after sending the letter. Good luck guys!
Last edited by Caribgyal on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CS5509

New

Post by CS5509 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Are acceptances contingent on 2nd semester grades?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat May 06, 2017 7:43 am

Hilary Clintonian wrote:Does anyone know how transfers do at OCI with respect to big law?
Pretty poorly. I would say it definilty tracks way below what the overall school numbers are.

Don't stop mass mailing and hustling.

Be warey of success bias from students who did well. (And career services)

federalist2019

New

Post by federalist2019 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:30 am

barkschool wrote:
Hilary Clintonian wrote:Does anyone know how transfers do at OCI with respect to big law?
Pretty poorly. I would say it definilty tracks way below what the overall school numbers are.

FWIW I heard otherwise, that transferees did just as well because employers realize we're very bright and otherwise wouldn't have been admitted. Perhaps EncyclopediaOrange can weigh in?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 06, 2017 9:33 am

barkschool wrote:

What's your source?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawstudent5

New

Post by Lawstudent5 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:54 am

federalist2019 wrote:
barkschool wrote:

FWIW I heard otherwise, that transferees did just as well because employers realize we're very bright and otherwise wouldn't have been admitted. Perhaps EncyclopediaOrange can weigh in?
According to GULC site, transfers last year 2L summer employment
"Law Firm: 46.9%
Government: 17.7%
Public Interest: 4.2%
Business: 2.1%
Judicial: 1.0%"

only question is if most that do law firm jobs are big law?

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/for-transfers.cfm

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat May 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Last edited by barkschool on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 pm

CS5509 wrote:Are acceptances contingent on 2nd semester grades?
To the best of my knowledge, they're contingent in the same way your college acceptances were contingent. Barring extraordinary circumstances, your acceptance should stay intact. By being admitted, you've already met their standard and probably have the capability to repeat it.

In short, don't worry, but also, if you haven't taken your finals, you still need to prepare diligently for them. OCI's still around the corner.

Also, I've heard a situation where a student received an EA acceptance and posted below median scores the next semester (in with a 3.6x, 2nd semester 2.8x) and didn't have the offer rescinded. However, this was at GW, so take it with a grain of salt.

LurkerG

New

Post by LurkerG » Sun May 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in! To those who didnt, keep working. I came from a T4 and a friend of mine from the same school also got in during the summer after her second semester. She went from a 3.3 first semester and got like a 3.8 second semester and then got in so it definitely isn't over!

From my own experience. I went from almost a 4.0 first semester when i was admitted via EA (top 3% of my class) to a 3.5 second semester (top 25%). I ended with about a 3.75 (top 8%) and my offer didn't get rescinded. Nobody said anything actually and I thought a .4 discrepancy between semester would raise a flag but it didn't.

I did write on and got onto a secondary journal and as for OCI, it was a pretty mixed bag. Alot of my transfer friends got offers and I did myself as well although it was in a smaller market in the midwest (V75 firm). One of my friends from the same T4 got a ton of offers from top firms in big markets and another from the same T4 got V20 in a big market. I guess it all depends on the person, work experience, how you did at your old school, ties to the market, interests etc.

I asked every firm I interviewed with during OCI how they view transfers and I can't recall any negative comments. Some said they like them more because it shows initiative and ambition, others said they don't view them differently at all, and I think one or two said they use a formula to adjust your GPA from your old school to GULC's. No idea how that would work.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out if I can be of any more help! (also not a troll, I just created this account for anonymity and to give advice. I remember being in all of your shoes just last year lol)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 am

Nebby wrote:
barkschool wrote:

What's your source?
I take your silence as an admission

acethebar

New

Post by acethebar » Mon May 08, 2017 4:05 pm

LurkerG wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in! To those who didnt, keep working. I came from a T4 and a friend of mine from the same school also got in during the summer after her second semester. She went from a 3.3 first semester and got like a 3.8 second semester and then got in so it definitely isn't over!

From my own experience. I went from almost a 4.0 first semester when i was admitted via EA (top 3% of my class) to a 3.5 second semester (top 25%). I ended with about a 3.75 (top 8%) and my offer didn't get rescinded. Nobody said anything actually and I thought a .4 discrepancy between semester would raise a flag but it didn't.

I did write on and got onto a secondary journal and as for OCI, it was a pretty mixed bag. Alot of my transfer friends got offers and I did myself as well although it was in a smaller market in the midwest (V75 firm). One of my friends from the same T4 got a ton of offers from top firms in big markets and another from the same T4 got V20 in a big market. I guess it all depends on the person, work experience, how you did at your old school, ties to the market, interests etc.

I asked every firm I interviewed with during OCI how they view transfers and I can't recall any negative comments. Some said they like them more because it shows initiative and ambition, others said they don't view them differently at all, and I think one or two said they use a formula to adjust your GPA from your old school to GULC's. No idea how that would work.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out if I can be of any more help! (also not a troll, I just created this account for anonymity and to give advice. I remember being in all of your shoes just last year lol)
Thanks for keeping hope alive!

Lawstudent5

New

Post by Lawstudent5 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 pm

What is everyone's plans for housing? Is anyone applying for on campus housing at Gewirz?

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Lawstudent5 wrote:What is everyone's plans for housing? Is anyone applying for on campus housing at Gewirz?
I'm thinking about Gewirz, just because I haven't lived in DC before. I've put up an ad on the Georgetown housing website. If any of you want to discuss rooming/housing, I'd be more than willing to "potluck" with other transfers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawstudent5

New

Post by Lawstudent5 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 am

Generic1L wrote:
Lawstudent5 wrote:What is everyone's plans for housing? Is anyone applying for on campus housing at Gewirz?
I'm thinking about Gewirz, just because I haven't lived in DC before. I've put up an ad on the Georgetown housing website. If any of you want to discuss rooming/housing, I'd be more than willing to "potluck" with other transfers.
I am still planning to apply to a couple other schools so I'm not 100% sure yet if I will be attending Georgetown, but I would be up for "potluck" too at Gewirz

renkuohai

New

Post by renkuohai » Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 am

Nebby wrote:
Nebby wrote:
barkschool wrote:

What's your source?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=262951

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 am

renkuohai wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Nebby wrote:
barkschool wrote:

What's your source?
Not really responsive. This data doesn't even have the correct number of transfers. There are 110 transfers graduating in 2017. It also has tons of "unknowns."

ETA: ljl you linked me to c/o 2016 what the hell?

renkuohai

New

Post by renkuohai » Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Nebby wrote:
renkuohai wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Nebby wrote:
barkschool wrote:

What's your source?
Not really responsive. This data doesn't even have the correct number of transfers. There are 110 transfers graduating in 2017. It also has tons of "unknowns."

ETA: ljl you linked me to c/o 2016 what the hell?
Ok there. If you'll notice, I wasn't part of the discussion above and I wasn't trying to make an argument either way. I was just posting information that it didn't seem anyone was considering. This is the best info I've seen online for gauging recent GULC transfer results for Big Law. Do with it what you will and come to your own conclusions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”