T10 to HYS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T10 to HYS

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 am

Hey guys,

I've got a 3.6 from a school in the 7-10 (Berkley, Michigan, Duke, etc.) range, and I'm flirting with the idea of transferring to Harvard (which has a program I really like, amongst other reasons.) What's the consensus about my shot? My school doesn't rank (as far as I know), but judging by the curve, I think I'm somewhere in the top 30% of my class.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: T10 to HYS

Post by lymenheimer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:20 am

You can just say duke

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Their 25th percentile GPA for transfers is 3.85 according to their 509 report. So your odds are probably not great with a 3.6.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 am

Earlier this year, Nebby posted up a general guide (below). Not sure where 3.6 falls on Duke's class rank curve, but this should get you headed in the right direction:

Yale/Stanford
T14: Top 10%
T1: Top 5%
T2: Top 1%
TTT: Not happening
TTTT: Not happening

Harvard:
T14: Top 15%
T1: Top 10%
T2: Top 5%
TTT: Top of your class

Columbia/NYU/Chicago/Penn
T14: Top 25%
T1: Top 10%
T2: Top 5%
TTT: Top 1%

Michigan/Northwestern
T1: Top 15%
T2: Top 10%
TTT: Top 5%
TTTT: Top 1%

Georgetown
T1: Top 20%
T2: Top 15%
TTT: Top 10%
TTTT: Top 5%

Berkeley/UVA/Duke/Cornell:

These places either don't take many transfers and they appear to favor instate residents or home state residents (i.e., from California but currently in law school somewhere else). Generally, follow the guidelines for the CLS/NYU/Chi/Penn tier for these schools. Cornell is mostly a waste, though, so it's really not even worth including ITT but I did anyway.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:24 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:

These places either don't take many transfers and they appear to favor instate residents or home state residents (i.e., from California but currently in law school somewhere else). Generally, follow the guidelines for the CLS/NYU/Chi/Penn tier for these schools. Cornell is mostly a waste, though, so it's really not even worth including ITT but I did anyway.
Berkeley takes quite a bit of transfer students. They accepted a lot of people last cycle and even posted about having a larger transfer class on their twitter. Although anecdotal, as a person with no ties to CA, my app was accepted there.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:37 pm

habeas2210 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Berkeley takes quite a bit of transfer students. They accepted a lot of people last cycle and even posted about having a larger transfer class on their twitter. Although anecdotal, as a person with no ties to CA, my app was accepted there.
FWIW, I'm not claiming any of that info posted above is mine--simply quoting Nebby's poast from last year. Might be true...might not. I have no personal info to add beyond his. Great to have your input though. Cheers! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”