SMU to Notre Dame. Would you transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TierForceOne

New

SMU to Notre Dame. Would you transfer?

Post by TierForceOne » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 pm

OP broke rules--way too red-pilled. INFOWARS.COM
Last edited by TierForceOne on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TragicBronson

New

Re: SMU to Notre Dame. Would you transfer?

Post by TragicBronson » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Well they're both affiliated with a christian religion that is not your own so I guess that part is a wash. But no, in all seriousness, we need to know whether you have $$ at SMU. That being said, even you're leaving sticker at SMU for sticker at ND it is probably unwise to leave SMU if you want to work in Dallas, albeit less unwise than leaving $$ at SMU for sticker at ND.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Don't leave SMU for ND if you want Dallas. Period.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 pm

UVA2B wrote:Don't leave SMU for ND if you want Dallas. Period.
Yes, agreed.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:20 am

OP: My understanding is that your LSAT score & undergraduate GPA are not relevant when applying as a transfer student. Notre Dame, or any other target transfer school, is primarily concerned with your grades & class standing achieved during your first year of law school. Law school professor recs may also be a factor.

Dallas is a great city, South Bend is not so great.

With respect to job opportunities in Dallas from Notre Dame law, you need to contact current Notre Dame law students & recent graduates.

Law school is about job placement in a field & geographic area where you want to live & work. Undergraduate school is more about enjoying the experience. Some might say "if you enjoy law school, then you're not doing it right."

In conclusion, top 35% (you're outside of the top third) may not be enough to get you a coveted spot at Notre Dame law as a transfer student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 am

TierForceOne wrote:165 on LSAT, slightly below ND's median for GPA.

Just outside of top 33% at SMU after 1 semester.

I like Dallas, and want to work here eventually. But I'm not totally infatuated with SMU, and am interested in a different experience. I grew up conservative Baptist, and as you can guess, am a fairly religious person. (I also went to another religious private school in UG).

What do you think? Considering my circumstances, would you transfer? What are the pros and cons?

My biggest reason is in hope of a varied LS experience, and also for a better shot at a meaningful clerkship after LS. Also going to Notre Dame seems like it would be a good experience and there would be people there with my same background. (religious, decent economic upbringing, sexually oppressed).
I don't know what kind of distinction you're hoping to gain at ND, but the bolded is weird. Insofar as religion infuses the law school ( which is very little at both schools). ND is a Catholic school and SMU is Methodist/Episcopalian. The "decent" economic upbringing sounds extremely snobby, if intended that way, which means that you should fit right in at SMU. There is no lack of money in Highland Park. The last point is not even worth addressing.

TL;DR what's your $$ situation and where do you wanna work?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 am

Pepperdine might be a match.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 am

Good idea. Transfer from a school in Dallas to a non-t14 school not in Dallas, with the ultimate goal of working in Dallas.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 pm

No. Do not transfer.

Transferring to a different school because you want a varied experience is something you should do in undergrad, not law school. Especially when you're looking to work in the market where your current LS serves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Ronan wrote:No. Do not transfer.

Transferring to a different school because you want a varied experience is something you should do in undergrad, not law school. Especially when you're looking to work in the market where your current LS serves.
Thank you kind sir.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 pm

No. If you want to work in Dallas, why would you leave the best school in the DFW area? If you were leaving for UT, then I would say by all means go for it. But not ND.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:55 pm

As someone who got into ND via transfer. Don't apply to ND if you solely want Dallas. Sure there are ND alums in Dallas, but not a ton.

Apply to ND if you want: IN, MI, MN, MO, IL, OH, WI.

ND is good for flexibility in the midwest/great lakes. ND is *pretty* good/OK (compared to most "super-regionals") for flexibility nationwide, but won't hold a candle to UT in Texas (or Vandy in Texas).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”