UT to UT Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HP15

New

UT to UT

Post by HP15 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Currently at The University of Tennessee and looking into the University of Texas. Posted a 3.4, which was good for top 18%. Any thoughts on what my chances might be or if it is worth applying? TN resident, so I'd be leaving a pretty affordable situation to go out of state to TX meaning a big hike in tuition.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Re: UT to UT

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Look at their 509 ABA report. I didn't apply to UT, but I believe their averages in the past were about a 3.4, but last year they took less transfers. Also their transfer process is easier than others IIRC.

Also check out Vandy for a similar school in the region. I think you are within their medians and they have and early transfer option.

tcufrog1873

New

Post by tcufrog1873 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

I am also interested on transferring to Texas, but can't find their 2016 509 stats for transfers. Also, on LSAC.org, they only have 1L apps open. Does anybody know when they're transfer app opens at Texas?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:16 pm

tcufrog1873 wrote:I am also interested on transferring to Texas, but can't find their 2016 509 stats for transfers. Also, on LSAC.org, they only have 1L apps open. Does anybody know when they're transfer app opens at Texas?
"ABA Required Disclosures" at the bottom of any UT Law page.

As for the app opening, it used to be April or May 1, but that was when they required a paper app for transfers, not LSAC, so it could be different now.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:17 pm

tcufrog1873 wrote:I am also interested on transferring to Texas, but can't find their 2016 509 stats for transfers. Also, on LSAC.org, they only have 1L apps open. Does anybody know when they're transfer app opens at Texas?
http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caseysho

New

Post by caseysho » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Actual UT Law transfer here. Most students who transferred from out of state schools had some pretty solid ties to Texas and UT (Texas residents, went to undergrad here, very strong interest in oil and gas law with industry experience). I wouldn't be too concerned with your GPA but if you aren't transferring from a top 40 school, you're going to need to be around the top 10%. Never hurts to apply, but there are, indeed, scaling back the size of the transfer class (especially with UT breaking into the T14 and less students transferring out). But I would definitely keep in mind that your transfer essay is going to need to be pretty compelling coming from out of state.

In other news, if anyone has questions about transferring as time gets closer, feel free to message me. I got in super early (before I took spring finals) but most people didn't hear until right before the OCI deadline in early July.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:27 am

caseysho wrote:Actual UT Law transfer here. Most students who transferred from out of state schools had some pretty solid ties to Texas and UT (Texas residents, went to undergrad here, very strong interest in oil and gas law with industry experience). I wouldn't be too concerned with your GPA but if you aren't transferring from a top 40 school, you're going to need to be around the top 10%. Never hurts to apply, but there are, indeed, scaling back the size of the transfer class (especially with UT breaking into the T14 and less students transferring out). But I would definitely keep in mind that your transfer essay is going to need to be pretty compelling coming from out of state.

In other news, if anyone has questions about transferring as time gets closer, feel free to message me. I got in super early (before I took spring finals) but most people didn't hear until right before the OCI deadline in early July.
lol, maybe this is true but it certainly wasn't my experience. I had ZERO ties to Texas and wasn't even asked about them. The first time I even visited the state was when I had all my shit packed in my car on the way to Austin. I was barely top third coming from a T40 school.

OP I think you're in a pretty good position to transfer if you maintain that GPA. We did take less transfers this year, and I'm not sure how they're going to handle that in the future, but best of luck. Transferring sucked at first, but now I'm incredibly happy that I made the switch. The resources and educational quality are leaps and bounds better than at my 1L school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”