T80: Thinking of Transferring to T10 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: T80: Thinking of Transferring to T10

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat May 13, 2017 8:15 am

I doubt it changes anything. If your GPA stays within their mid ranges on the ABA 509s, I think you have an excellent shot.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Sat May 13, 2017 10:57 am

NoDayButToday wrote:I doubt it changes anything. If your GPA stays within their mid ranges on the ABA 509s, I think you have an excellent shot.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: T60: Thinking of Transferring to T10

Post by lavarman84 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:33 pm

KijiStewart wrote:Hey everyone, unfortunately my school is no longer T60 but is now T80 smh.

How does this change my chances at HYS or CCN assuming I stick within the top 5-7% range.
Not going to make a difference if your grades stay the same, but your chances at HYS are relatively weak in the top 5% to 7% range.(you generally need to be in the top 2 or 3 students in your class to get Harvard or Stanford at a TT, if not #1)

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sun May 14, 2017 12:42 am

KijiStewart wrote:Hey everyone, unfortunately my school is no longer T60 but is now T80 smh.

How does this change my chances at HYS or CCN assuming I stick within the top 5-7% range.
No idea, just dropped in to say there's no such thing as T60 or T80. You go to a T100 school.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun May 14, 2017 12:56 am

I don't think the curriculum thing is crazy. I've taken two classes at a T6 with visiting profs from a low-ranked school and I can tell from their practice exams at the other school that our class was taught at a much higher level.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:07 pm

lavarman84 wrote:

Not going to make a difference if your grades stay the same, but your chances at HYS are relatively weak in the top 5% to 7% range.(you generally need to be in the top 2 or 3 students in your class to get Harvard or Stanford at a TT, if not #1)
By top 2-3 in class, is that entire 1L class or section.

Thanks

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:51 pm

the entire class

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:53 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

Thanks
Entire 1L class and that's being generous.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:13 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

Thanks
Yeah, I thought it was a bit overly generous as well. I'd guess top 3 would put you in the running at Harvard, but they'd probably need to be #1 to have even an outside shot at Stanford. OP is out for YLS no matter their grades. They take extremely small transfer classes, and they're pretty much always top students at other T14s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Harvard is very nitpicky with transfers from TT. I was top of my class after 1L at a school ranked in the 90s and wasn't accepted. It's still worth the application though.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:40 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

Thanks
Yeah, I thought it was a bit overly generous as well. I'd guess top 3 would put you in the running at Harvard, but they'd probably need to be #1 to have even an outside shot at Stanford. OP is out for YLS no matter their grades. They take extremely small transfer classes, and they're pretty much always top students at other T14s.
Stanford seems to be a little more lenient with people at California schools, but yes, this is accurate. And Harvard seems to reject a decent amount of people who were #2 or #3 in their class at schools in the 30 to 90 range. So top 3 puts you in the running, but you shouldn't feel any sort of confidence if you're not #1.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Nebby wrote:Harvard is very nitpicky with transfers from TT. I was top of my class after 1L at a school ranked in the 90s and wasn't accepted. It's still worth the application though.
Gunner Nebby is inspiring

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
Nebby wrote:Harvard is very nitpicky with transfers from TT. I was top of my class after 1L at a school ranked in the 90s and wasn't accepted. It's still worth the application though.
So it looks like my options will be Michigan or Penn (admitted at former, haven't heard back from latter but expecting a yes).

Is there any reason not to do Michigan besides debt. Is the whole 'stigma' of transferring thing just a myth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:45 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
So it looks like my options will be Michigan or Penn (admitted at former, haven't heard back from latter but expecting a yes).

Is there any reason not to do Michigan besides debt. Is the whole 'stigma' of transferring thing just a myth.
The reason not to transfer is debt + not significantly improved job prospects. (I assume the goal you shared in your OP—a mid law firm—is still your goal.)

And, no, there is no significant stigma attached to transferring. But check out the partner's posts in this thread about transfers and OCI: firms often evaluate transfers based on their performance at their 1L school. That is, if the firm wouldn't have hired you if you stayed at your 1L school, they won't hire you at your new school either.

The main benefit to doing OCI at a place like Michigan is that you get access to firms who would never come to your 1L school. But considering that your goal is mid law and not big law, I'm not sure that's much of a benefit for you.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:

The reason not to transfer is debt + not significantly improved job prospects. (I assume the goal you shared in your OP—a mid law firm—is still your goal.)

And, no, there is no significant stigma attached to transferring. But check out the partner's posts in this thread about transfers and OCI: firms often evaluate transfers based on their performance at their 1L school. That is, if the firm wouldn't have hired you if you stayed at your 1L school, they won't hire you at your new school either.

The main benefit to doing OCI at a place like Michigan is that you get access to firms who would never come to your 1L school. But considering that your goal is mid law and not big law, I'm not sure that's much of a benefit for you.
Thanks! FYI, for first round OCI at my TT there is only ONE V100 (actually any firm for that matter, but IDK what second round will offer) firm that allows us to bid for an out of state office. My long-term goal is definitely mid-size, but I'm confident I can grind out non-NY/DC BL for a few years and I 100% want a 2L BL summer associate position.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:59 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:

Thanks! FYI, for first round OCI at my TT there is only ONE V100 (actually any firm for that matter, but IDK what second round will offer) firm that allows us to bid for an out of state office. My long-term goal is definitely mid-size, but I'm confident I can grind out non-NY/DC BL for a few years and I 100% want a 2L BL summer associate position.
Ah, I didn't understand your goals from your initial post. It sounds like your short-term goal is east-coast BL. If that's your goal, then it's probably worth it to transfer—though, again, be aware that many firms may not consider you because of your 1L school. If you do transfer, make sure to find out which firms have a history of hiring transfers at OCI.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:

Ah, I didn't understand your goals from your initial post. It sounds like your short-term goal is east-coast BL. If that's your goal, then it's probably worth it to transfer—though, again, be aware that many firms may not consider you because of your 1L school. If you do transfer, make sure to find out which firms have a history of hiring transfers at OCI.
I guess you can say I've jumped on the BL bandwaggon. I know someone at BL litigation in Chicago (I want litigation) who tells me the work/ doc review is shit but at least the hours aren't terrible. Good mid-sized firms in my region barely recruit from my TT so this is a moot point in terms of arguing I shouldn't transfer.

Also, at a school like Michigan, what's 3L recruiting like because at that point all the firms will have access to my performance at a T10?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:11 pm

KijiStewart wrote:Also, at a school like Michigan, what's 3L recruiting like because at that point all the firms will have access to my performance at a T10?
3L OCI is an uphill climb everywhere. Don't have a plan that counts on 3L OCI. Although there are exceptions, the few open spots that exist at 3L OCI generally go to students who did a 2L SA at another big law firm.

Before you transfer and take on significant additional debt, do your best to figure out how well transfers fare at Michigan or Penn OCI. Don't just rely on generic reassurances from the school (or positive anecdotes on TLS). See if you can get stats of some sort.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:10 am

rpupkin wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
/quote]
(I assume the goal you shared in your OP—a mid law firm—is still your goal.)

But considering that your goal is mid law and not big law, I'm not sure that's much of a benefit for you.
Can you explain your reasoning how Michigan wouldn't help me with landing a mid-size job if thats what I wanted. Aren't (good) mid size firms just as selective as big ones. My region is flooded with T14s who return at big and medium sized firms.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm

KijiStewart wrote:Can you explain your reasoning how Michigan wouldn't help me with landing a mid-size job if thats what I wanted. Aren't (good) mid size firms just as selective as big ones.
Generally not. Mid-size firms tend to hire a lot more grads from regional schools.

I mean, there are small litigation firms that are even more selective than big law firms, but folks generally refer to those places as "litigation boutiques," not as "mid-size firms" or "mid-law."

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 pm

OP: you're fine where you are right now if Midlaw is the end goal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 am

Jmart082 wrote:OP: you're fine where you are right now if Midlaw is the end goal.
Would Michigan help me if my goal was a litigation boutique?

FYI everyone, I clerked for 6 weeks at an elite litigation boutique (50/50 split between attorneys who are alums of my TT / T14s) and ALL the attorneys told me regardless of my career goals to go to Michigan or Penn. (Some tbh were more pro-Penn which I may not get into ... but I feel like Michigan is better for me anyway).

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 am

dude just go to michigan. based on all your other posts in other threads, seems like you're just trying to fish for reasons to go.

your career goals may change and michigan puts you in a better position in that respect. and it's not necessarily the case that you'll be out of the running for biglaw firms that don't recruit from your 1L school during 2L oci. it's more difficult, but if you're a great interviewer and you have decent WE, you still have a chance.

plus since you're international, you're gonna need h1b sponsorship (assuming you don't have an alternative means here). michigan puts you in a better place for that.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Since the consensus in this thread is that intellectual fulfillment shouldn't be a factor for ANY transfer application, or general law application for that matter, (see page 1), then why do all you T10ers go to a T10. Couldn't you have gone to a regional T50 or T100 school in your desired practice region, get way more scholarship $$ and kick ass on the easier curve and have (almost) as good a shot at BL for standing out. (Presumption is if you got 165+ LSAT, your odds of finishing top 5-10% at TT are as high as top 50% at T 10).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 pm

KijiStewart wrote:Since the consensus in this thread is that intellectual fulfillment shouldn't be a factor for ANY transfer application (see page 1), then why do all you T10ers go to a T10. Couldn't you have gone to a regional T50 or T100 school in your desired practice region, get way more scholarship $$ and kick ass on the easier curve and have (almost) as good a shot at BL for standing out. (Presumption is if you got 165+ LSAT, your odds of finishing top 5-10% at TT are as high as top 50% at T 10).
Your bolded presumption is way, way off. Once you get rid of that faulty presumption, the logic of attending a T10 over a V50 becomes clear (at least it's clear if the person's goal is BL).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”