Transfer Advice TT top 20% Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Advice TT top 20%

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm

At a TT on the east coast between 60-75. Rankings have yet to be released, but I should be top 20% or better based on previous years GPA cutoffs. Originally from Southern CA and would like to return and hopefully get my foot into biglaw as this is really not an option at my current school. Is there even a remote chance that I will get into UCLA or USC?

Current total COA at TT is 20K and would obviously pay sticker if i transferred so I am not sure if it would even be worth it if I were to get in.

Does anyone have any insight?

Edit: forget I asked. rankings are out and i am 27%

ladybug1989

Bronze

Re: Transfer Advice TT top 20%

Post by ladybug1989 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:38 am

If you improve your grades to top 15% or better, which is very doable, then you have a good chance at both schools. Just know that you will have an uphill battle for big law even if you get in. But if you're URM or have a hard science background or some other unique background, then your adds will improve. Cross that bridge when you get there. Improve grades for now--at the very least you can ask for more money from your TT.

shawndawgwright

New

Post by shawndawgwright » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello,

I am in the same tier as the original poster - in the top 15% of the class at least (they don't rank in the first semester). I was waitlisted at BU until after their classes started and was ready to pack up and leave my current law school until BU took me off the waitlist and dropped me finally.

So to be more blunt, at this school ranked #60(ish) in South Florida, would it be worth it for me to try and transfer to BU? I see myself practicing in New England anyway . . . but in terms of jobs in Big Law . . . would it be worth it for me to go to BU or ride it out where I am?

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:24 am

What's your GPA come out to be? Try x2 as hard this semester, crack top 20%, and you'll have a good shot at UCLA. UCLA is quite easy to transfer into. Look up the transfer GPAs on their 2016 509

HamNewton

New

Post by HamNewton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:27 am

You still have a whole semester to raise your grades, and a pretty significant jump is doable if you really kill it. Don't settle for top 20%, although I transferred into UCLA from a 40-50 school at top 20% so you should throw an app in if you end up there and see what happens.

Also, for me, paying sticker was justified by the fact that I wanted Biglaw but that was out of the question at my previous school, and the transfer really paid off in the end

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”