TTT in PNW Transfer Advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

TTT in PNW Transfer Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi all,

Wondering what the TLS'ers thoughts are on this situation.

After my first semester at a TTT and have a 3.8x GPA. I also just got offered a summer judicial externship.
Here are what I consider to be my options (in no particular order):

Option 1: Apply to the GULS ED program with my grades and see what happens. I am less interested in this school in general, but would love to hear about it from people who know more than I do. Seems like a long move, but the upside is that they allow for decision based only on fall semester grades.

Option 2: Apply to USC ED program. I like the CA idea, but wondering how good it would be to transfer to USC...

Option 3: Work hard, do the best I can this semester (duh) and apply to Berkeley. Pray to god I get in.

Option 4: Transfer to the University of Washington, for the PNW this is the highest ranked school...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wipfelder

Silver

Re: TTT in PNW Transfer Advice

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Wondering what the TLS'ers thoughts are on this situation.

After my first semester at a TTT I received pretty much all A's and have a 3.85 GPA (historically that would place me about top 3-5%) and 1 CALI (an A+ on transcript). I also just got offered a summer judicial externship at the US District Court in the Northern District of California.

Here are what I consider to be my options (in no particular order):

Option 1: Apply to the GULS ED program with my grades and see what happens. I am less interested in this school in general, but would love to hear about it from people who know more than I do. Seems like a long move, but the upside is that they allow for decision based only on fall semester grades.

Option 2: Apply to USC ED program. I like the CA idea, but wondering how good it would be to transfer to USC...

Option 3: Work hard, do the best I can this semester (duh) and apply to Berkeley. Pray to god I get in.

Option 4: Transfer to the University of Washington, for the PNW this is the highest ranked school...

Where do you want to work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:26 am

Are you allowed to do both? I would probably apply to both. If you can't I would probably do USC due to it being on the west coast.

I don't think you should do nothing. I had a buddy in my class that had all As first semester and second semester tanked (T50 school). He really wished he applied to GLUC ED first semester, he would have gotten in.... He ended up transferring to a T30....

Especially coming from a TTT, it doesn't take much to fall off and ruin your chance of being able to transfer. Top 10% at a TTT is likely not to get you into a T14 school or USC.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I am most interested in larger law firm, I have some history with Trusts and Estates and have enjoyed that work. Not prepared to say that I want to do that long term.

My fear is that if I stay at current university, even though I may be able to get a job out of school, I may be limited if I want to move/ change jobs in the future.

Some minor interest in gov't work.
I mean, like, where do you want to work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 am

Wipfelder wrote:

I am most interested in larger law firm, I have some history with Trusts and Estates and have enjoyed that work. Not prepared to say that I want to do that long term.

My fear is that if I stay at current university, even though I may be able to get a job out of school, I may be limited if I want to move/ change jobs in the future.

Some minor interest in gov't work.
I mean, like, where do you want to work? geographically.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:09 am

thexfactor wrote:Are you allowed to do both? I would probably apply to both. If you can't I would probably do USC due to it being on the west coast.

I don't think you should do nothing. I had a buddy in my class that had all As first semester and second semester tanked (T50 school). He really wished he applied to GLUC ED first semester, he would have gotten in.... He ended up transferring to a T30....

Especially coming from a TTT, it doesn't take much to fall off and ruin your chance of being able to transfer. Top 10% at a TTT is likely not to get you into a T14 school or USC.
Top 10% at TTTs regularly get into GULC. Look up GULC's 2016 509.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 am

Probably WA or Nor Cal.

Want to end up in WA eventually though.
I'm not sure USC is a great option over UW....I'm not even sure GULC is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Wipfelder wrote:

Probably WA or Nor Cal.

Yeah, I wouldn't do USC, especially if you would be paying sticker. I think UW makes sense, Berkeley would be the best bet if you can get in

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:12 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

Probably WA or Nor Cal.

Yeah, I wouldn't do USC, especially if you would be paying sticker. I think UW makes sense, Berkeley would be the best bet if you can get in
I think NU does fairly well in the PNW as well. I think, though, there are more CAL graduates in the PNW than NU.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

Probably WA or Nor Cal.

I think NU does fairly well in the PNW as well. I think, though, there are more CAL graduates in the PNW than NU.
Yeah, I am sure there are more Cal grads than NU. But NU wouldn't be a bad place to apply either if OP can handle two years in Chicago.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:29 pm

I think you face some risk transferring from a TTT to UW if you want to work in a big firm in the PNW because about 13% of the people from UW get big firms. Your TTT may be relatively unknown to them and put you at a disadvantage, even though you did well. I'd contact the school, though, after you've been admitted, to see if they'll put you in touch with someone in an analogous situation.

One option to consider, if you stay, is to get a job at a firm with an office in the Pacific Northwest and then to lateral there after a couple of years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 pm

run26.2 wrote:I think you face some risk transferring from a TTT to UW if you want to work in a big firm in the PNW because about 13% of the people from UW get big firms. Your TTT may be relatively unknown to them and put you at a disadvantage, even though you did well. I'd contact the school, though, after you've been admitted, to see if they'll put you in touch with someone in an analogous situation.

One option to consider, if you stay, is to get a job at a firm with an office in the Pacific Northwest and then to lateral there after a couple of years.
Thanks for the input. I saw that you ended up transferring. Putting the question of the schools aside, how was the experience of switching school?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I think you face some risk transferring from a TTT to UW if you want to work in a big firm in the PNW because about 13% of the people from UW get big firms. Your TTT may be relatively unknown to them and put you at a disadvantage, even though you did well. I'd contact the school, though, after you've been admitted, to see if they'll put you in touch with someone in an analogous situation.

Thanks for the input. I saw that you ended up transferring. Putting the question of the schools aside, how was the experience of switching school?
It was fine, but I tend to be a bit of a go-getter. One upside is that I now have a network from both schools. Obviously, it strains relationships at the old school (at least for a bit). But some relationships will survive it.

I made a concerted effort (as did some other transfers) to make friends outside the transfer class. Some friendships might not be as tight as those that are formed during 1L, but you can still make good, enduring friendships.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 pm

I'd stay at the TTT (I think I read its in the PNW) over UW. As a transfer myself, I generally say UT,Vandy,ND,WashU,UCLA,USC and Emory are also worth transferring to (if they are in your market/ w/o money issues). But since they aren't I wouldn't consider them.

I'd consider a T14. Berk and Stanford would be definite places I'd value a transfer to. I hope you get into UC-Berk, it would be perfect given your situation. Best of luck.

CheddarArachnid

New

Post by CheddarArachnid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:I'd stay at the TTT (I think I read its in the PNW) over UW. As a transfer myself, I generally say UT,Vandy,ND,WashU,UCLA,USC and Emory are also worth transferring to (if they are in your market/ w/o money issues). But since they aren't I wouldn't consider them.

I'd consider a T14. Berk and Stanford would be definite places I'd value a transfer to. I hope you get into UC-Berk, it would be perfect given your situation. Best of luck.
I would echo Dre's comments. It does not really make sense to give up a possible full ride for UW, a place with decent but not amazing BigLaw placement. If California is your goal then USC/UCLA make sense if you do not get into a T14. Berkeley is definitely the best fit for your current goals but do not rule out the rest of the T14. Skip the GULC ED it requires a deposit and with your grades I think you have a strong chance of getting in. Additionally, if you keep your grades high you could have a shot at CCN/the rest of the T14. Aside from GULC, the rest of the T14 places very well in your regions. Plus if you have strong local ties to either the PNW or California, you might even have an edge on your T14 classmates who do not!

Conclusion: Skip ED at GULC, Skip ED at USC. Finish your second semester and send apps to most of the schools in the T14 as well as USC/UCLA (both which can actually operate as backups if you keep your grades high).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:50 pm

CheddarArachnid wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:I'd stay at the TTT (I think I read its in the PNW) over UW. As a transfer myself, I generally say UT,Vandy,ND,WashU,UCLA,USC and Emory are also worth transferring to (if they are in your market/ w/o money issues). But since they aren't I wouldn't consider them.

I would echo Dre's comments. It does not really make sense to give up a possible full ride for UW, a place with decent but not amazing BigLaw placement. If California is your goal then USC/UCLA make sense if you do not get into a T14. Berkeley is definitely the best fit for your current goals but do not rule out the rest of the T14. Skip the GULC ED it requires a deposit and with your grades I think you have a strong chance of getting in. Additionally, if you keep your grades high you could have a shot at CCN/the rest of the T14. Aside from GULC, the rest of the T14 places very well in your regions. Plus if you have strong local ties to either the PNW or California, you might even have an edge on your T14 classmates who do not!

Conclusion: Skip ED at GULC, Skip ED at USC. Finish your second semester and send apps to most of the schools in the T14 as well as USC/UCLA (both which can actually operate as backups if you keep your grades high).
OP here.

Thanks for the input! You seem to put a marker btwn GULC and the other T14's - is this just based on their 509 numbers? Wondering if it makes sense to ED there as a safety in case this semester does not go as planned...

As for USC, I appreciate the comments on this thread and they seem to make sense to me.

So now I am thinking Berkeley (still first choice, and I know it is going to require me to crush it this semester), UW if for nothing else to have options and maybe negotiate with current school for more $, then UCLA. And unsure on GULC.

I am thinking giving the ranking of my school (TTT), anything less than top 1-5% would eliminate me from most, if not all, T14.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CheddarArachnid wrote:

OP here.

Thanks for the input! You seem to put a marker btwn GULC and the other T14's - is this just based on their 509 numbers? Wondering if it makes sense to ED there as a safety in case this semester does not go as planned...

As for USC, I appreciate the comments on this thread and they seem to make sense to me.

So now I am thinking Berkeley (still first choice, and I know it is going to require me to crush it this semester), UW if for nothing else to have options and maybe negotiate with current school for more $, then UCLA. And unsure on GULC.

I am thinking giving the ranking of my school (TTT), anything less than top 1-5% would eliminate me from most, if not all, T14.
I actually know a 3L at GULC who transferred from your TTT to GULC and he was top 12% roughly!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm

What do you have to lose by ED? You don't actually have to attend. I would do both. I really had a fellow classmate that really really regretted not applying for ED. He got all As first semester (top 5%) and ended up with top 25% second semester and went to UC Hastings or UC Davis. He really regretted not doing GULC ED.

If you end up with only those two options or your TTT, I would still transfer if you are interested in getting biglaw. You can always lateral later. If you don't get biglaw or atleast midlaw to start, you will be in for a tough uphill climb. USC or GULC will give you a decent to good chance at biglaw. Going to Washu/Emory/Illinois/UW will give you a noticeable lower chance at biglaw. My buddy was top 9% at my same school and he ended up getting into GLUC and he got tons more firm interviews vs me transferring to a T30 school (we were both K to JD). He ended up getting a V50 firm. Our difference in class rank was about 2%.

If you are in the right practice area, it will not be hard for your to lateral to a biglaw/inhouse job in Seattle.

Not too sure about transfers getting full scholarships at UW. Maybe schools are taking more transfers now. I came from a T50 school top 10-11% and I ended up only getting Washu/Emory/GW (class 2012).

CheddarArachnid

New

Post by CheddarArachnid » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:08 pm

thexfactor wrote:What do you have to lose by ED? You don't actually have to attend. I would do both. I really had a fellow classmate that really really regretted not applying for ED. He got all As first semester (top 5%) and ended up with top 25% second semester and went to UC Hastings or UC Davis. He really regretted not doing GULC ED.

If you end up with only those two options or your TTT, I would still transfer if you are interested in getting biglaw. You can always lateral later. If you don't get biglaw or atleast midlaw to start, you will be in for a tough uphill climb. USC or GULC will give you a decent to good chance at biglaw. Going to Washu/Emory/Illinois/UW will give you a noticeable lower chance at biglaw. My buddy was top 9% at my same school and he ended up getting into GLUC and he got tons more firm interviews vs me transferring to a T30 school (we were both K to JD). He ended up getting a V50 firm. Our difference in class rank was about 2%.

If you are in the right practice area, it will not be hard for your to lateral to a biglaw/inhouse job in Seattle.

Not too sure about transfers getting full scholarships at UW. Maybe schools are taking more transfers now. I came from a T50 school top 10-11% and I ended up only getting Washu/Emory/GW (class 2012).
If you have the money to spend on a deposit at GULC do it for the peace of mind I guess?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”