Transferred from TTT to T10; AMA Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferred from TTT to T10; AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Don't know if this will yield any posts, but happy to answer questions on transfer process. I used TLS a bunch when I was going through the transfer process last year. I realize fall grades are out/soon to be out, and many may start exploring the idea of transferring.

perfunctory

Bronze

Re: Transferred from TTT to T10; AMA

Post by perfunctory » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 pm

What was your rank? Did you do anything that gave you a boost apart from grades?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 am

perfunctory wrote:What was your rank? Did you do anything that gave you a boost apart from grades?
Not OP but I transferred from TT to CLS. Top 1%. It's mostly grades, but once you're shooting for the T6, and particularly the T3, it is important to have a good personal statement that explains why you want to transfer and what your goals are. The transfer PS is a little different than the PS for 0L law school admissions. In my PS, I gave the relevant biographical background, discussed my experience as a law student, and explained that I wanted to practice environmental law and then pointed out what opportunities the target school has that could help me achieve those goals.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 am

Nebby wrote:
perfunctory wrote:What was your rank? Did you do anything that gave you a boost apart from grades?
Not OP but I transferred from TT to CLS. Top 1%. It's mostly grades, but once you're shooting for the T6, and particularly the T3, it is important to have a good personal statement that explains why you want to transfer and what your goals are. The transfer PS is a little different than the PS for 0L law school admissions. In my PS, I gave the relevant biographical background, discussed my experience as a law student, and explained that I wanted to practice environmental law and then pointed out what opportunities the target school has that could help me achieve those goals.
Do you regret not being able to transfer even higher, e.g., to Yale, Chicago or NYU?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 am

lawlorbust wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Do you regret not being able to transfer even higher, e.g., to Yale, Chicago or NYU?
CCN are peer schools. No, I don't regret my choices. CLS has the best lrap of the schools I got into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:52 pm

OP here. My rank was exactly at top 5%. As far as other factors, I had good undergrad GPA/extra curriculars, and had multiple internships onmy resume that show I want to be a lawyer. Used my 0L personal statement "Why law" and added a half page "Why X School" to explain why I wanted to transfer (better employment stats; location; ability to pursue academia later in life)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. My rank was exactly at top 5%. As far as other factors, I had good undergrad GPA/extra curriculars, and had multiple internships onmy resume that show I want to be a lawyer. Used my 0L personal statement "Why law" and added a half page "Why X School" to explain why I wanted to transfer (better employment stats; location; ability to pursue academia later in life)
You mean completing a year of law school and applying to transfer to another didn't already show that? :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You mean completing a year of law school and applying to transfer to another didn't already show that? :lol:
Nebby you post way too much on TLS man

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nebby you post way too much on TLS man

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nebby you post way too much on TLS man
Yes

kissmybutt

New

Post by kissmybutt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Is it possible to transfer from TTTT to Yale for non-URM?

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:31 pm

it's epistemically possible but not actually possible

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 pm

kissmybutt wrote:Is it possible to transfer from TTTT to Yale for non-URM?
No

URM status doesn't factor into transfer admissions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Nebby wrote:
No

I love how I started this AMA and Nebby is literally answering the questions.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:
No

I love how I started this AMA and Nebby is literally answering the questions.
Do you think URM matters?

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 am

Generally not true for anyone.

Though they did take someone from fucking Pepperdine this past year

McChicken

New

Post by McChicken » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 am

To both Anon and Nebby:

1.] What other schools did you get into?

2.] Would you have transferred to any T20 schools if you didn't get into T10? (UCLA, USC, etc) Any T30s?

3.] Related to above, was your transferor school in the same region as your transferee school? If so, did that affect your decision to transfer?

4.] Did you participate in moot court and do you feel that it gives you any significant advantage in the transfer game?

Okay, i'm done. Thank you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:37 am

McChicken wrote:To both Anon and Nebby:

2.] Would you have transferred to any T20 schools if you didn't get into T10? (UCLA, USC, etc) Any T30s?

3.] Related to above, was your transferor school in the same region as your transferee school? If so, did that affect your decision to transfer?

4.] Did you participate in moot court and do you feel that it gives you any significant advantage in the transfer game?

Surprised Nebby hasn't already responded since he's on TLS all day everyday.

Anyway:

1.) I got into Georgetown as well. Pulled out from Cornell, Penn, and a few others. Didn't finish my apps at NYU and CLS. My undergrad made it really hard for me to release the fact I'd never been put on probation. They just wouldn't release that info, and after I got into my T10, I didn't care enough to zealously pursue NYU and CLS, though I maybe should have. Thus, I was denied from incomplete app.
2.) Yes, I would have. T20 still has very strong biglaw employment stats, which was and is my goal. I would have gone to UCLA, most likely. UCLA has great employment and reputation, and is quite easy to get into as a transfer. Lookup ''UCLA 2016 509". Transfer GPAs are very achievable. Staying at my TTT was very risky for employment; I was dead-set on transferring. As to whether I'd go to T30, I think I still would, but I didn't do too much research into T30s since I knew Georgetown was a for-sure acceptance, so I didn't feel the need to consider T30s.
3.) No; about 800 miles away. I'm still on the same coast, and since it's T10, I was happy to move for the better employment stats and to have a strong school's name on my resume
4.) No, though I did do mock trial in college. For 1L, I was just involved in my school's federalist society as an e-board member. Had good LORs from professors since I participated and asked questions and went to office hours. Also, I was top 5%, which definitely helps!

McChicken

New

Post by McChicken » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:2.) Yes, I would have. T20 still has very strong biglaw employment stats, which was and is my goal. I would have gone to UCLA, most likely. UCLA has great employment and reputation, and is quite easy to get into as a transfer. Lookup ''UCLA 2016 509". Transfer GPAs are very achievable. Staying at my TTT was very risky for employment; I was dead-set on transferring. As to whether I'd go to T30, I think I still would, but I didn't do too much research into T30s since I knew Georgetown was a for-sure acceptance, so I didn't feel the need to consider T30s.
Thanks for such a quick answer! Did you end up getting any biglaw offers at OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:50 am

McChicken wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2.) Yes, I would have. T20 still has very strong biglaw employment stats, which was and is my goal. I would have gone to UCLA, most likely. UCLA has great employment and reputation, and is quite easy to get into as a transfer. Lookup ''UCLA 2016 509". Transfer GPAs are very achievable. Staying at my TTT was very risky for employment; I was dead-set on transferring. As to whether I'd go to T30, I think I still would, but I didn't do too much research into T30s since I knew Georgetown was a for-sure acceptance, so I didn't feel the need to consider T30s.
Thanks for such a quick answer! Did you end up getting any biglaw offers at OCI?
I had a very hard time at OCI. Had about 25 interviews and only 2 callbacks (both dings). Not sure what went wrong, maybe transfer stigma. However, I mass mailed like a maniac (250 firms probably), and was invited in (on my own dime) to an east coast firm. I went in, tried my best, and somehow got a call 10 days later with an offer. I also was able to get an offer from a small firm in LA. I chose the east coast firm since it is, quite frankly, better known and pays more.

So, OCI gave me nothing. The firm I accepted I got from mass mailing. The small lit firm was from a campus interview that took place a month after OCI (when small firms do some interviews with students still looking for summer placement).

Was a very difficult time emotionally and mentally. Happy to have persevered and made it out alive.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:37 am

McChicken wrote:To both Anon and Nebby:

1) GULC: accepted
CLS: accepted
NYU: withdrew before decision
HLS: rejected

2) No

3) Yes, but it wasn't a factor I was concerned about

4) No and no

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”