T3 v CLS - Is there ever a reason not to go? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: T3 v CLS - Is there ever a reason not to go?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:A cls degree for under 100k is a pretty great deal.
OP here. My thoughts exactly.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:08 pm

If you can get housing paid for, you're an idiot to not go

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:06 pm

barkschool wrote:If you can get housing paid for, you're an idiot to not go
Nah. Still good reasons not to transfer. They're just not nearly as strong when the debt load is less than $100,000 vs. close to $200,000.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:One other thing I haven't really discussed. I love the situation I am in at my current school. I have an amazing group of friends. I have great relationships with my professors, which has been a huge part of my success. All in all, I am very comfortable. I'm pretty social and am not worried about not being able to make friends/build relationships at CLS etc., but before I got into CLS, I couldn't wait to go back to school, and now that I don't know if I am going back or not, it's a bit upsetting--I don't know what to think about this.
I wouldn't put too much weight on this unless you have a serious relationship (engagement likely) that will be significantly disrupted by leaving.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:39 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 pm

OP, what did you decide?

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Eight years ago I spent my first semester of undergrad at a pretty inexpensive but unknown liberal arts college. I loved it. Then the people who were paying for my education threatened to withhold funding for the second year unless I transferred to Columbia. Being a non-citizen, I couldn't get loans, even to cover the relatively inexpensive liberal arts school. So I applied and transferred. My experience at Columbia was, to be generous, mediocre.

Then I matriculated to law school, and soon discovered TLS. I realized that where I went to undergrad made no difference as to where I had gotten admitted to law school. So career-wise I was exactly where I would have been had I not transferred (e.g. law school --> BigLaw). I felt like a total buffoon. The only mild closure I got was a few months ago when my team defeated Columbia's in a moot court tournament.

Don't do what I did. Don't be coerced or deluded into chasing prestige, especially when you will be the one taking on the debt.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:Eight years ago I spent my first semester of undergrad at a pretty inexpensive but unknown liberal arts college. I loved it. Then the people who were paying for my education threatened to withhold funding for the second year unless I transferred to Columbia. Being a non-citizen, I couldn't get loans, even to cover the relatively inexpensive liberal arts school. So I applied and transferred. My experience at Columbia was, to be generous, mediocre.

Then I matriculated to law school, and soon discovered TLS. I realized that where I went to undergrad made no difference as to where I had gotten admitted to law school. So career-wise I was exactly where I would have been had I not transferred (e.g. law school --> BigLaw). I felt like a total buffoon. The only mild closure I got was a few months ago when my team defeated Columbia's in a moot court tournament.

Don't do what I did. Don't be coerced or deluded into chasing prestige, especially when you will be the one taking on the debt.
I mean, this is like, different, though. transferring law schools could majorly impact OP's career prospects, even though transferring undergrad did not impact yours. Otherwise, glad things worked out for you and I'm sorry that your undergrad experience wasn't the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:54 am

I did not transfer. Thank you everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did not transfer. Thank you everyone.
I'm sorry, my friend, but you'll be part of the out-group forever. The in-group of CCN grads will make fun of the people who make fun of you. But fear not, the HYS grads will make fun of the CCN grads. :wink:

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:16 am

Congrats OP! Enjoy your 6-figure-paying job with close to no debt and all the flexibility that will buy you down the road. And as to the in-group guy, feel fee to make fun of anyone grinding out an extra day of biglaw hours and living in a shithole because they need to service a 200k debt, while you get to pocket as much as and/or leave whenever you want 8). I guarantee many of your colleagues will envy your position.

Check in with us after oci!
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Post by eyeofvigilence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:04 pm

I think you made a mistake. Good luck to you, though.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:23 pm

eyeofvigilence wrote:
I bet your opinion will change when OP reports back with an offer from a mkt-paying firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Post by eyeofvigilence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:48 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
I bet your opinion will change when OP reports back with an offer from a mkt-paying firm.
Maybe. That's "when" they get an offer. OP would be much more likely to nail the V10 CB if they knew OP was transferring to CLS.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:02 pm

eyeofvigilence wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
Maybe. That's "when" they get an offer. OP would be much more likely to nail the V10 CB if they knew OP was transferring to CLS.
Totally disagree. That V10 CB is happening whether he transferred or not, and transferring won't magically make him a better candidate for hire. Transferring, if it does anything at all, would only increase the amount of interviews he'd get. That's about it. After asking the resident tls V15 partner (who told him not to transfer), considering the advice in this thread, and meeting with people from his school who have transferred and those who could have but decided not to, OP made decided 200k was too much to pay for simply landing more interviews.

For the record, I was encouraging OP to transfer. But I congratulate him on betting on himself and going for a much higher payout.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:25 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
Totally disagree. That V10 CB is happening whether he transferred or not, and transferring won't magically make him a better candidate for hire. Transferring, if it does anything at all, would only increase the amount of interviews he'd get. That's about it.

Strongly disagree. I interviewed with a few firms for 1L SA's this summer--which did not result in any offers. After I told a few of the firms that I was transferring, they reached out to me immediately and interviewed me. I asked 3 hiring partners from 3 different firms, why do you want to interview me now, is it because I am transferring to a better law school? All 3 affirmed this. I would not have gotten these CB interviews if I opted to stay at my T1/T2 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:25 pm

OP here - I feel comfortable with my decision. I honestly believe I would have had more opportunities from CLS, but I only need 1 offer. I currently have 8 interviews at market pay and if I can't land a single one of them from my current school, CLS likely wouldn't have made a difference--at least that's how I feel.

My v50 (v35) screener was successful and has led to a callback.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Nvm.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:30 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
Totally disagree. That V10 CB is happening whether he transferred or not, and transferring won't magically make him a better candidate for hire. Transferring, if it does anything at all, would only increase the amount of interviews he'd get. That's about it. After asking the resident tls V15 partner (who told him not to transfer), considering the advice in this thread, and meeting with people from his school who have transferred and those who could have but decided not to, OP made decided 200k was too much to pay for simply landing more interviews.

For the record, I was encouraging OP to transfer. But I congratulate him on betting on himself and going for a much higher payout.
itbdvorm's advice was somewhat of a tipping point for me.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Post by eyeofvigilence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:40 pm

habeas2210 wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
Totally disagree. That V10 CB is happening whether he transferred or not, and transferring won't magically make him a better candidate for hire. Transferring, if it does anything at all, would only increase the amount of interviews he'd get. That's about it.

Strongly disagree. I interviewed with a few firms for 1L SA's this summer--which did not result in any offers. After I told a few of the firms that I was transferring, they reached out to me immediately and interviewed me. I asked 3 hiring partners from 3 different firms, why do you want to interview me now, is it because I am transferring to a better law school? All 3 affirmed this. I would not have gotten these CB interviews if I opted to stay at my T1/T2 school.
Same experience. Plus, 8 interviews is nothing compared to the 20+ you'd get from CLS OCI. In any event, there's no point in second guessing now. All I'm saying is that I would have gone. Best of luck to you.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm very late to this thread, but you made the right choice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 pm

UPDATE: For anyone who cares, and hopefully this can be of some help to someone who is in my shoes some day, I have received my first offer. I also am running a 100% callback rate so far, and literally have a callback every single day for the next two weeks. Since I last updated I have received a call back at a v5 and a screener at another v5, in addition to my v10 callback. Besides that I have 2 v30 callbacks. A few v50s and v100s (Yes, I know Vault isn't the end all be all, but I need a way to distinguish these).

I am, without a doubt, thrilled that I made the decision to stay at my school. I understand that I took a risk, but it was the same type of risk I took when I decided to attend this school--I was betting on myself. (That being said, I am a firm believer that you should go to a top ranked school if given the opportunity, because looking back, the risk I took to attend a lower ranked school and be at the top of my class was downright stupid) Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way!

Best of luck to everyone during OCI!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UPDATE: For anyone who cares, and hopefully this can be of some help to someone who is in my shoes some day, I have received my first offer. I also am running a 100% callback rate so far, and literally have a callback every single day for the next two weeks. Since I last updated I have received a call back at a v5 and a screener at another v5, in addition to my v10 callback. Besides that I have 2 v30 callbacks. A few v50s and v100s (Yes, I know Vault isn't the end all be all, but I need a way to distinguish these).

I am, without a doubt, thrilled that I made the decision to stay at my school. I understand that I took a risk, but it was the same type of risk I took when I decided to attend this school--I was betting on myself. (That being said, I am a firm believer that you should go to a top ranked school if given the opportunity, because looking back, the risk I took to attend a lower ranked school and be at the top of my class was downright stupid) Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way!

Best of luck to everyone during OCI!
Congrats! You made the right decision. Just don't let the "in-crowd" get to you when they chortle at your pitiful degree while they drink their tea and discuss sailing. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:30 pm

OP here. Update: V5 offer. V10 offer. V35 offer. Waiting on another v30. Cancelled over 10 CBs. I am done with my job search for good--I think I made the right decision.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Update: V5 offer. V10 offer. V35 offer. Waiting on another v30. Cancelled over 10 CBs. I am done with my job search for good--I think I made the right decision.
Congrats, OP. Barring a monumental fuck-up this summer, you will graduate debt-free (or nearly debt-free) and get to pocket your biglaw salary until you decide to bail. That will feel good. Especially because there will be less pressure on you to put up with the crappier parts of biglaw since you won't have significant debt to service.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”