2016 Berkeley Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clshopeful

Bronze

Re: 2016 Berkeley Transfer Thread

Post by clshopeful » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:19 pm

habeas2210 wrote:
jmart20002 wrote:What do you all plan on doing for housing? I've heard it can be tough to find apartments in the Bay Area...
Are you looking for a M rommie?
Tried looking up apartments around $1500 on zillow... berkeley had like 3 available. Looks like housing is going to be a major issue

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:29 pm

clshopeful wrote:
habeas2210 wrote:
jmart20002 wrote:What do you all plan on doing for housing? I've heard it can be tough to find apartments in the Bay Area...
Are you looking for a M rommie?
Tried looking up apartments around $1500 on zillow... berkeley had like 3 available. Looks like housing is going to be a major issue
Yeah, trying to take the advice of last year transfers and I'm currently looking in areas around Oakland and El Cerrito... no dice though.

If anyone is looking for a roomie, feel free to PM me.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Anyone else feel stressed by commit date of July 15? Waiting on NYU and it seems NYU decision may come after the 15th.

How bad is it to commit to B and then go to NYU if I got in?

(Is there any strict penalty, like Berkeley will notify other schools, report to LSAC; has anyone seen anything like this?)

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:56 pm

clshopeful wrote:Anyone else feel stressed by commit date of July 15? Waiting on NYU and it seems NYU decision may come after the 15th.

(Is there any strict penalty, like Berkeley will notify other schools, report to LSAC; has anyone seen anything like this?)
I think NYU should be getting back to us late next week, or the week after that. I'm in the same situation as you; I'm not too worried about it.

1mill

New

Post by 1mill » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:13 pm

For those admitted, does Berkeley require Dean's Certificates? I know other schools asks for them, but didn't see any mention of them from Berkeley.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:36 pm

1mill wrote:For those admitted, does Berkeley require Dean's Certificates? I know other schools asks for them, but didn't see any mention of them from Berkeley.
I want to say they do if you didn't submit them during the process--i THINK I read that on the website somewhere. I'm not sure; I submitted certs everywhere, regardless if they were required in the app process or not.

1mill

New

Post by 1mill » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:53 pm

habeas2210 wrote:
1mill wrote:For those admitted, does Berkeley require Dean's Certificates? I know other schools asks for them, but didn't see any mention of them from Berkeley.
I want to say they do if you didn't submit them during the process--i THINK I read that on the website somewhere. I'm not sure; I submitted certs everywhere, regardless if they were required in the app process or not.

What form did you use? I couldn't find one on Berkeley's website.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 pm

clshopeful wrote:Anyone else feel stressed by commit date of July 15? Waiting on NYU and it seems NYU decision may come after the 15th.

I've heard of people doing it without any downside. I waited on NYU, etc. after my Boalt acceptance and, in the end, still picked Boalt. If I could do it all over again (ya know, hindsight 20/20), I would have picked Boalt much sooner so I had more time to find housing, get settled, etc. before EIW. In the end, you need to decide, IMO, what coast you want to live and work on. From there, the decision is a lot easier.

sdancer89

New

Post by sdancer89 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:01 pm

jphiggo wrote:
I've heard of people doing it without any downside. I waited on NYU, etc. after my Boalt acceptance and, in the end, still picked Boalt. If I could do it all over again (ya know, hindsight 20/20), I would have picked Boalt much sooner so I had more time to find housing, get settled, etc. before EIW. In the end, you need to decide, IMO, what coast you want to live and work on. From there, the decision is a lot easier.
I did the same thing, but will note that my NYU acceptance came about a month after my B acceptance and after the Boalt deadline- sometime around 7/18-7/20 last year. Definitely think about what coast you want to be on and start getting a feel for housing in both places. NYC and the Bay Area are 2 of the craziest housing markets in the country, so it does help to give yourself a bit of time to figure it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:29 pm

1mill wrote:
habeas2210 wrote:

What form did you use? I couldn't find one on Berkeley's website.
For a dean's cert? My 1L school has its owns form.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm

jphiggo wrote:

Only reason I'd choose NYU is because it puts a lot more grads into biglaw

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:25 pm

clshopeful wrote:
jphiggo wrote:

Only reason I'd choose NYU is because it puts a lot more grads into biglaw
Big law is not a hard goal to obtain from Boalt, IMO. If you're transferring, you already have the grades for almost all of the grade sensitive firms and will likely have your pick from a fair number of firms, short of a terrible bidding strategy or personal interview ability. There may be exceptions, but they would be exceedingly rare and not any that I would know of that didn't land something they wanted.

Bilka

Bronze

Post by Bilka » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Went UR 6/20. Anyone else still waiting?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tacosause

New

Post by tacosause » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:37 pm

Bilka wrote:Went UR 6/20. Anyone else still waiting?
I am. UR 6/17. I hate to be a downer, but I think we are sitting ducks.

trojanboy35

New

Post by trojanboy35 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:47 pm

tacosause wrote:
Same here. UR 6/17.

Bilka

Bronze

Post by Bilka » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:58 pm

trojanboy35 wrote:
tacosause wrote:

Why would they be waiting to ding us? A bunch of dings went out last Thursday the 23rd.

tacosause

New

Post by tacosause » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Bilka wrote:
trojanboy35 wrote:
tacosause wrote:

Why would they be waiting to ding us? A bunch of dings went out last Thursday the 23rd.

I don't know, but I suspect the law school admissions committee gains longer life by feeding on our shattered hopes and dreams. The longer the wait the greater the bounty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trojanboy35

New

Post by trojanboy35 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:08 pm

tacosause wrote:
Bilka wrote:
trojanboy35 wrote:
tacosause wrote:

I don't know, but I suspect the Law School Admissions committee gains longer life by feeding on our shattered hopes and dreams. The longer the wait the greater the bounty.

My guess is that we're a bit more borderline.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:20 am

Any admits know anything re: Grad PLUS loan deadline? Looking to apply for loan but Berk doesn't use the online government form.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:19 am

clshopeful wrote:Any admits know anything re: Grad PLUS loan deadline? Looking to apply for loan but Berk doesn't use the online government form.
I called financial aid and they said all that info will be in the elusive package that they'll be sending us.

ToSurfOrStudy

New

Post by ToSurfOrStudy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:12 pm

anyone notify their 1L school that they wont be attending yet?

what is the proper way to do this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 pm

ToSurfOrStudy wrote:anyone notify their 1L school that they wont be attending yet?

Yes. Sent dean of students an email. Was short and to the point. "I am writing to inform you I will be transferring to UC Berkeley and therefore must withdraw myself from X University School of Law"etc

the-american-guy

New

Post by the-american-guy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:01 pm

clshopeful wrote:
ToSurfOrStudy wrote:anyone notify their 1L school that they wont be attending yet?

Yes. Sent dean of students an email. Was short and to the point. "I am writing to inform you I will be transferring to UC Berkeley and therefore must withdraw myself from X University School of Law"etc
Yeah, as a potential "Transfer Out" student, my school said that once I decided where I was going, I should e-mail the Dean of Students and CC the Student Records keeper (who handled the Dean's Certifications) and the Registrar.

james_byrd74

New

Post by james_byrd74 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Does anyone have any idea when we can expect to receive notifications regarding need-based aid? I know we received an email indicating that we would receive notice by or before July 15, I'm just wondering if anyone has any more precise information.

Thanks!

tacosause

New

Post by tacosause » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:08 pm

trojanboy35 wrote:
tacosause wrote:
Bilka wrote:
trojanboy35 wrote:
tacosause wrote:

I don't know, but I suspect the Law School Admissions committee gains longer life by feeding on our shattered hopes and dreams. The longer the wait the greater the bounty.

My guess is that we're a bit more borderline.
Dinged

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”