www.top-law-schools.com Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kartelite

Bronze

Re: American prof slams GW for "predatory" transfer practices

Post by kartelite » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Were you in are cuntry Virginia or NOVA?
I grew up in the country haha, but I lived in a few cities (including DC for a summer) and went to school with a lot of people from NOVA (peopled used that acronym all the time, but I never heard DMV, this was back in the early 2000s).

Evvyperk

New

Post by Evvyperk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:26 pm

FSK wrote:We broke the numbers down in another thread here based on the 509 data. GW was accepting kids from American who had median grades. What a joke.
This is absolutely correct. Word on the street is that the problem with GW Law's practice isn't that they are raiding American's class for the best students. In fact, American's best students tend to stay at American because of scholarships and other inducements. It's that GW is taking a relatively small 1L class to achieve high GPA and LSAT targets to artificially pump up their US NEWS ranking. Then they take an enormous number of American transfer students with mediocre credentials from the bottom and middle of American's class. GW does this to subsidize their 1L selectivity. For GW Law students going from 1L to 2L, though, this is a bit of an unfair trick since the law school they were "promised" by the US News rank and published credentials becomes a very, very different school after 1L. GW students are right to be upset about this and American transfers to GW may end up with the short end of the stick.

BholeTransfer

New

Post by BholeTransfer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Evvyperk wrote:
FSK wrote:We broke the numbers down in another thread here based on the 509 data. GW was accepting kids from American who had median grades. What a joke.
This is absolutely correct. Word on the street is that the problem with GW Law's practice isn't that they are raiding American's class for the best students. In fact, American's best students tend to stay at American because of scholarships and other inducements. It's that GW is taking a relatively small 1L class to achieve high GPA and LSAT targets to artificially pump up their US NEWS ranking. Then they take an enormous number of American transfer students with mediocre credentials from the bottom and middle of American's class. GW does this to subsidize their 1L selectivity. For GW Law students going from 1L to 2L, though, this is a bit of an unfair trick since the law school they were "promised" by the US News rank and published credentials becomes a very, very different school after 1L. GW students are right to be upset about this and American transfers to GW may end up with the short end of the stick.
While I agree that GW's transfer practice is shitty for a number of reasons, the bold sentence is just wrong. GW takes one of the biggest classes in the country, taking 450+. However, this actually makes what you are saying even worse - an already large class at a law school whose rank is falling inflates its bottom line with median students' tuition. It's unfair to the current students and to transfers

Evvyperk

New

Post by Evvyperk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm

BholeTransfer wrote:
Evvyperk wrote:
While I agree that GW's transfer practice is shitty for a number of reasons, the bold sentence is just wrong. GW takes one of the biggest classes in the country, taking 450+. However, this actually makes what you are saying even worse - an already large class at a law school whose rank is falling inflates its bottom line with median students' tuition. It's unfair to the current students and to transfers

I agree with you, BholeTransfer. I must have been unclear. I meant that GW takes a small and highly credentialed 1L class, relative to the 2L classes and beyond at GW. (The 2L and 3L classes, with the enormous number of transfers, are ginormous by comparison.) I agree with everything you wrote. It absolutely is unfair to current students and transfers alike. Its USNWR rank tells one story, but the average credentials of the 2L and 3L classes tells quite a different story, especially when you consider that it sounds like the 1L GPAs, LSATs, college GPAs and other credentials of the inbound GW transfers are nowhere near those of the 1Ls. They are more mediocre on average and this is not that big of a secret at GW. The "we only take the cream of the crop" line out of the admissions office simply is not true. I knew of one inbound GW Law transfer, for example, who averaged around a 2.9 or 3.0 at American. "Cream of the crop?"

BholeTransfer

New

Post by BholeTransfer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 am

Evvyperk wrote:
BholeTransfer wrote:
Evvyperk wrote:

I agree with you, BholeTransfer. I must have been unclear. I meant that GW takes a small and highly credentialed 1L class, relative to the 2L classes and beyond at GW. (The 2L and 3L classes, with the enormous number of transfers, are ginormous by comparison.) I agree with everything you wrote. It absolutely is unfair to current students and transfers alike. Its USNWR rank tells one story, but the average credentials of the 2L and 3L classes tells quite a different story, especially when you consider that it sounds like the 1L GPAs, LSATs, college GPAs and other credentials of the inbound GW transfers are nowhere near those of the 1Ls. They are more mediocre on average and this is not that big of a secret at GW. The "we only take the cream of the crop" line out of the admissions office simply is not true. I knew of one inbound GW Law transfer, for example, who averaged around a 2.9 or 3.0 at American. "Cream of the crop?"
Thanks for the clarification, I see what you are saying and you are right on the money. Adding all those mediocre transfers (don't get me wrong, I would probably do the same if I were at American and at the median) really screws over the current students when job hunting. It's a shameless cash grab.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Evvyperk

New

Post by Evvyperk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:44 am

BholeTransfer wrote:
Evvyperk wrote:
BholeTransfer wrote:
Evvyperk wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, I see what you are saying and you are right on the money. Adding all those mediocre transfers (don't get me wrong, I would probably do the same if I were at American and at the median) really screws over the current students when job hunting. It's a shameless cash grab.

I agree. I'm not even sure that some of the inbound GW transfers are at the median. If the standard 1L curve at most law schools is a B+, and the inbound transfers are getting in with well below that, then that's not even median.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:29 am

lets slam American prof for "predatory" admission practices

HelpMe!!

New

Post by HelpMe!! » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:38 am

Evvyperk wrote:
BholeTransfer wrote:
Evvyperk wrote:
BholeTransfer wrote:
Evvyperk wrote:

I agree. I'm not even sure that some of the inbound GW transfers are at the median. If the standard 1L curve at most law schools is a B+, and the inbound transfers are getting in with well below that, then that's not even median.

I agree with all of you...Exactly why I am leaving GW...they don't do anything to help students who are getting little to no $ and performed at the top of the class 1L year. I had 3 professors try and sit me down and talk to me about why I wanted to transfer. Simply put, GW is about $ and not about the welfare of their top students. They take a very large 1L class (almost 40% admitted), take one of the biggest transfer classes in the country, and do not set high standards for the transfers. Discouraging to know they care more about the student's $ than the student's success (not to say other law schools don't)...GW is notorious for this and needs to change the way the law school is run or they will continue to drop in the rankings (US News Rankings--2011-20, 2012-20, 2013-20, 2014-21, 2015-20, 2016-22, 2017-25, 2018-6 way tie at 30-technically could be 35...)

anonymous888888

New

Post by anonymous888888 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 am

As an inbound transfer to GW next month, this worries me. When my old school dropped a few spots, the dean wrote a long email explaining what happened. It is my expectation that the Dean would address this at a T1 school too. Has there been a response by the dean at GW about the drop in the ranking? What is their plan to prevent a further slip? Can someone post that correspondence here on this forum or pm me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”