Transfers of 2014: A TLS Retrospective Look at Transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Transfers of 2014: A TLS Retrospective Look at Transferring

Post by Nebby » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:05 am

T2 -> CLS.

My xfer experience has been good. Admittedly, I'm more busy now than I was during 1L, but that's by choice. There's zero transfer stigma. Career services for public interest and private sector are amazing. I've taken advantage of alumni for many informational interviews (they're always super happy to talk to students).

I had 6 CBs and 3 offers (1 V5). I opted to decline them after getting an offer from a super competitive BigFed job (in my practice area of interest). They only hire 5 per summer, so I couldn't say no. I have a feeling my school's name helped.

The students aren't as dumb as my T2. Mostly what I mean is that most folks here lean-left and they don't feel the need to raise their hand anytime they want to simply voice their opinion. (That may also have to do with the majority being Ivy-bred, thus terrified of failure.) I have noticed however that the work ethic of students here isn't any different than my T2.

I didn't make friends with many transfers because I wanted to get to know the native population. There was only one transfer who was insufferable. Most of my friends are nonlaw students or native 2Ls.

The biggest change are the professors. They have so much experience and knowledge. It's amazing.

That's all I can think of right now.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:51 am

I want to add two additional comments that I had about my transfer. Both of these "insights" come from how naive I was about the process of biglaw hiring as well as the value of the name of the school you attend.

First, (this is obvious for most who transferred but may be helpful for someone prospective trasferor reading this down the road) biglaw firms bill their associates out to their clients at absurdly high rates. By all accounts the associates value is not that high. Thus, they can't try and justify billing out Joe 1st year from TTT, even if Joe had super stellar grades. The clients demand a name they recognize. In turn, the firms can only hire from certain ranked schools or higher.

Second, I gave up a lot of money in transferring. However, I had a much higher % chance of getting a biglaw position at my new (current) school and I never took into account that I will make $25k over the summer. I'm going to be living on the cheep and thus, ~$20k of that will go directly towards tuition. Biglaw (if that's the goal) is by no means guaranteed w/ a transfer, BUT, if you believe you have a substantially higher chance at getting it if you transfer, it's worth calculating the amount you could make via a summer associate position.

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:59 pm

In response to above, I gave up a full ride to get where I am now. I also knew pretty early on (like before I even took the LSAT), that I was going BigLaw. When I asked a professor at my old school advice about transferring, he said the two years of tuition should not be a significant factor in my decision to transfer. Theres a lot of money out there.

Having said that, I was not at a TTT school, and didn't need to transfer in order to get a job similar to, if not the exact job, that I eventually ended up with (v5 in NYC). I think the same psychic value that exists for the client when they look at where you went to school inheres in you as soon as you make the leap.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 am

bumping this thread in case 1L's have transfer related questions they wanna get out now that grades are trickling in (although only one semester's worth)

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 am

cusenation wrote:bumping this thread in case 1L's have transfer related questions they wanna get out now that grades are trickling in (although only one semester's worth)
How bored are you. Go out and play in the cool weather

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
cusenation wrote:bumping this thread in case 1L's have transfer related questions they wanna get out now that grades are trickling in (although only one semester's worth)
will literally freeze to death if i leave the apt right now.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 am

cusenation wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
will literally freeze to death if i leave the apt right now.
^ chi accepts pussies for transfer.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:59 am

Um hello help me plz.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 am

Perspective transfer nerds. The linked thread below has info you'll find helpful, and everyone on the list agreed to talk to protective transfers. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=232983

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thechinaman12

New

Post by thechinaman12 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Unranked TTTT --> Lower T-14

Overall - Worth it.

The only downside is my loss of friends from my old school/state. I am a pretty focused on my classes and readings during the year, and I always do all the assignments/readings, so I don't have a lot of time to go out or become involved with new people. I believe that issue lies with myself, so it likely wouldn't be a problem to those who are more extroverted.

The class discussions are not all that much better, but the professors are more enlightening, impo, than the professors I had at my previous school. Caliber of professors > caliber of students

I received only 1 CB from OCI, and no offer - but I was able to secure my #1 firm through mass mail and have an offer for this summer.

All my exams were open-book, and I studied the same as I did at my previous school. The exams here were more "theory"-based, as opposed to straight issue-spotters, but I think they are learnable/easy as long as you pay attention to the professors' cues in class. I actually enjoyed these types of exams better than issue spotters - but, I have not yet received any grades, so I could actually hate them depending on how I did.

Other - I enjoy living in a big city, and the lay-prestige from my friends at home is nice as well. It's cool to walk outside and be surrounded by large buildings, people in suits, and the hustle/bustle of the city - especially when you come from the rural South (the city is definitely NOT where I want to end up permanently though). Also, friends back at home hear of the school name and instantly recognize it, thinking you are some greek god descending from the clouds as a dragon among men... but no, I am a rock among men. In addition, I would say that the stress levels at the new school are at much lower levels than at my previous schools, which helps around exam time when you find yourself spending 14 hours a day trying to comprehend some of the class notes you took in september.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:38 am

Anyone have all of their grades yet? I have yet to receive half of them.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:42 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Anyone have all of their grades yet? I have yet to receive half of them.
only have one, but it's still pretty early for us, evidently we won't get them back for another week or two

Jloubriel26

New

Post by Jloubriel26 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Got an A- (4-Credit Class), and a B (2 Credit Class), currently awaiting on my other four credit class, which would make or break my semester.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rogerrogerson

New

Post by rogerrogerson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

zero grades back yet and unhappy about it...

prelaw14

New

Post by prelaw14 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Last edited by prelaw14 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:57 pm

prelaw14 wrote:This is for anyone who has applied to transfer, but ending up staying at their original school:

Did you notice any hostility or negativity from the school you stayed at? If my grades are good enough, I want to apply to transfer, but in the event I stay at my current school, I don't want to burn any bridges. Hopefully that makes sense.
i mean your classmates won't know unless u tell them. And there always kids who apply and don't leave, the administration would probably be happy that you stayed if anything.

prelaw14

New

Post by prelaw14 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Last edited by prelaw14 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Manteca

Silver

Post by Manteca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:25 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Um hello help me plz.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 am

How can we help you JJ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:13 am

If we're seriously considering transferring, how early in the spring should we be starting the process so that we can get in our applications ASAP?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:28 am

scottidsntknow wrote:If we're seriously considering transferring, how early in the spring should we be starting the process so that we can get in our applications ASAP?
Start getting letters ready. Ideally you would have the two letters uploaded by June 1. Start schmoozing and doing werk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 am

jj1990 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Um hello help me plz.
Ask away

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:29 am

CounselorNebby wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:If we're seriously considering transferring, how early in the spring should we be starting the process so that we can get in our applications ASAP?
Start getting letters ready. Ideally you would have the two letters uploaded by June 1. Start schmoozing and doing werk.
Not much you can do until the application comes out. Getting the Dean's Cert from your undergrad is especially annoying. But beyond that most important thing is to get even better grades. Start to think abt what you want out of your career. I think that's probably the best thing you could be doing anyway. Transfer apps are easy. Maybe start thinking abt an essay topic but that's pretty easy too.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:33 am

If it makes any prospective transfers feel better, your PS is like worthless for transfering. I had some trash rehash PS that basically said "ur skewl has these things I like" and I got accepted to many.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:40 am

cusenation wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
Not much you can do until the application comes out. Getting the Dean's Cert from your undergrad is especially annoying. But beyond that most important thing is to get even better grades. Start to think abt what you want out of your career. I think that's probably the best thing you could be doing anyway. Transfer apps are easy. Maybe start thinking abt an essay topic but that's pretty easy too.
Ok yeah I just didn't know if we could get those pesky undergrad things before the apps open, since I don't want to end up waiting on them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”