Chances transfer to top school? Rank:1/GPA:4.0/4 tier Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Chances of getting into Columbia?

High
18%
Moderate
56%
Low
27%

Total votes: 45

justgottabezen

New

Chances transfer to top school? Rank:1/GPA:4.0/4 tier

Post by justgottabezen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:43 am

I'm applying to transfer, and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience transferring from a tier 4 school to a top school? I'm looking into school in NYC like Columbia, NYU and Fordham. I did really well at my current school. I'm top of my class and have a 4.0 at a C curve school. I booked four classes as well. However, my school is barely known in Miami, let alone in NY. I wonder if that's going to be a big issue. Also, my undergraduate stats are mediocre (3.29 GPA, LSAT 154).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*Edit: I just received my second semester grades back, and I'm still at a 4.0, still ranked 1, and booked 3 more classes. Does that do much more for my chances?
Last edited by justgottabezen on Wed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Chances transfer to top school? Rank:1/GPA:4.0/4 tier

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am

I put moderate, only because T4 to Columbia is a big jump. However a rank 1 at a T4 will almost definitely land acceptance in the lower T14.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Is there a reason you need to be at school in NYC? You're probably on the outside of the bubble for CCN, but you're in good shape for other T14s and thus can do better than Fordham.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:I put moderate, only because T4 to Columbia is a big jump. However a rank 1 at a T4 will almost definitely land acceptance in the lower T14.
Thanks
BVest wrote:Is there a reason you need to be at school in NYC? You're probably on the outside of the bubble for CCN, but you're in good shape for other T14s and thus can do better than Fordham.
Yea I'm specifically trying to get into NYC schools.

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 am

justgottabezen wrote:
BVest wrote:Is there a reason you need to be at school in NYC? You're probably on the outside of the bubble for CCN, but you're in good shape for other T14s and thus can do better than Fordham.
Yea I'm specifically trying to get into NYC schools.
Is there a better reason than "I want to be in NY" though? "NYC is cool" is not a great reason to take on crushing debt for a middling law school when you could take on crushing debt for an excellent law school.

You can probably transfer to most T14s that aren't in NY and end up in NY (I have a friend that came from a midwest school, transferred to B, and is now headed to NY). It's fairly likely to happen at a T14 with small transfer sizes outside NY (I.E. not GULC). However, transferring to Fordham and then getting a job that pays enough to cover your sticker Fordham debt - and you will pay sticker when you transfer - seems unlikely, whereas transferring to a non-NY T14 and getting a NY job that will pay off your debt is totally possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 am

justgottabezen wrote:I'm specifically trying to get into NYC schools.
Yeah, I got that from your OP:
justgottabezen wrote:I'm looking into school in NYC like Columbia, NYU and Fordham.
My question was is there a reason you need to be at school in NYC?

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 am

I wouldn't give up a #1 rank for Fordham. If you can hang onto that or even hang onto top 5% and law review that's something that sticks with you. I'd much rather be top 5% and law review from a T4 than a middle of the class transfer at Fordham.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:22 pm

I have a family situation, and I need to be in NY. I would rather not loose my rank and all that, but it is what it is. I understand that Fordham is an outlier in the list of schools I'm applying to, but it's a last resort if I don't get into NYU or Columbia.

I was kind of hoping my book awards could help my chances...and maybe good LORs. I got an amazing LOR from my professor who was also the dean of my school. He seemed to think I have a shot. Another couple of profs are willing to write ones. Would it help if I had many LORs? I'm just trying to do whatever I can.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Family problems suck. But T4 to Columbia is going to be a long-shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

koolsk8erboi

New

Post by koolsk8erboi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:25 am

I was in your same position at this time last year (other than the geographic restrictions due to family problems). Applied to two T14s -- one towards the top and one towards the bottom. Denied from the former and accepted at the latter. I also know some 1L classmates who got into a different lower T14. But I agree with the majority of posts here about Columbia being a tough nut to crack, even with your outstanding 1L performance (which you should be extremely proud of, by the way). Best of luck!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:10 pm

I understand; I transferred for family reasons (outside of T14). Not knowing the exact need you have I don't know if this is an option, but if you haven't already, you might also consider whether Penn would suit your purposes. IIRC, it's about a 100-minute train ride, and it couldn't be more than about 5 blocks from the school to the station. They don't tend to take as many transfers as NYU and CLS, and apparently don't tend to dip beyond TT much, but if it works for your purposes then it might increase your odds of getting T14 while getting close to family.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 pm

BVest wrote:I understand; I transferred for family reasons (outside of T14). Not knowing the exact need you have I don't know if this is an option, but if you haven't already, you might also consider whether Penn would suit your purposes. IIRC, it's about a 100-minute train ride, and it couldn't be more than about 5 blocks from the school to the station. They don't tend to take as many transfers as NYU and CLS, and apparently don't tend to dip beyond TT much, but if it works for your purposes then it might increase your odds of getting T14 while getting close to family.
Thanks, I'll fill out that app as well.
koolsk8erboi wrote:I was in your same position at this time last year (other than the geographic restrictions due to family problems). Applied to two T14s -- one towards the top and one towards the bottom. Denied from the former and accepted at the latter. I also know some 1L classmates who got into a different lower T14. But I agree with the majority of posts here about Columbia being a tough nut to crack, even with your outstanding 1L performance (which you should be extremely proud of, by the way). Best of luck!
Thank you for your input, and the compliment.

My school actually allows students to take 2L classes at another school, so I might see if I can do that and still graduate from here.

mc1993

New

Post by mc1993 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Did you get in?
I'm currently in STU in Miami and also looking to transfer to NYC. I'm top 5%.

I would love to know what my chances are.

LawSchoolHopeful2021

New

Post by LawSchoolHopeful2021 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi @justgotbezen! I was wondering if you ever ended up transferring?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”