Georgetown Transfer 2014 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Georgetown Transfer 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 am

Let's get the ball rolling.

Application and transcript went in last night.

Stats:
Top 5%
T1

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: GULC Transfer 2014

Post by Nebby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Edit: 4/11/2014

So I'm going to compile a "GULC EA Transfer Cheat Sheet" for folks to look at during the 2015 cycle. Here is about what the cycle looked like:

CounselorNebby
School: T2 (80-89)
Application submitted: 2/17/2014
Application complete: 2/20/2014
Address Update (“Ave” changed to “Avenue;” “Apt” changed to “Apartment”): 4/2/2014
Application complete (first status update): 4/4/2014
Application complete (second status update): 4/7/2014
Able to retrieve username/password for admitted student site: 4/8/2014
Able to log on to admitted student site: 4/11/2014
Acceptance Letter arrived 4/11/2014

For folks in the future reading this. Here are the stats thus far for people that have been accepted. (Early Admission only)

CounselorNebby
Top 1%
T2

Itwasluck
Top 2% (1 Cali Award)
T2

GreeniePack17
Top 2%
T3

“Anonymous User” on 4/8
Top 3%
T1

HopefulTransfer1
Top 4%
T1

Heming123
Top 4%
T1

floridaabroad
Top 4%
T1

Getmeouttahereplz
Top 5%
T1

Jwood
Top 5%
T1

wu27
Top 5%
T2

webee731
Top 5%
T3

bewtduck
Top 5%
T3

masterdisaster
Top 5%
T3

Anonymous08
Top 5% (1 Cali Award)
T4

Flash31
Top 7%
T1

lawpersongirl
Top 10%
T1

cmjones0309
Top 12% (2 Cali Awards)
T2

Weiweilt
Top 15%
T1 (15-20)

chalo77
Top 15%
T2
chalo77 wrote: 1: Applied only to the part-time program, and had compelling family and career (interested in patent law) reasons for transferring to Georgetown.
2: BSE + MSE (Electrical Engineering)
3: 2 years of teaching assistant experience (electrical engineering courses during graduate school)
4: 7+ years of computer engineering experience. (have filed three patents)
Last edited by Nebby on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

txig

Bronze

Post by txig » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey guys...also considering GULC. Was wondering if you guys knew if you apply EA and you get accepted when the deposit due date is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:06 pm

txig wrote:Hey guys...also considering GULC. Was wondering if you guys knew if you apply EA and you get accepted when the deposit due date is?

Wondering the same thing, txig. Perhaps we can get some insight from previous transfers who chose GULC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Would also appreciate any insight on when previous transfers received status checkers, and how long it took for GULC to render a decision!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm

I think deposit is due in May. I'd check old threads.

laxstar1

New

Post by laxstar1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Applied and was admitted EA last year. Not really a poster on TLS, but Ill answer your guys questions (I feel for you guys...it's a really anxious period). As far as the questions asked, GULC used to render EA decisions at the end of April or early May, but last year they came out really early. I got my decision April 5th. I remember that they bifurcate deposit payments. They make you pay one payment pretty quickly after you get your admissions letter, then you pay a second deposit in June or July.

Good luck guys...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

laxstar1

New

Post by laxstar1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Probably should have mentioned this, but I chose to attend here too...so I'm happy to talk about my experiences and answer your questions about attending GULC

transfer57

New

Post by transfer57 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:07 am

Without jinxing anything, I will just say that anyone within the top 5% at a >80ish school has an excellent chance of getting into GULC EA. I was in the same boat last year, and had a laughable list of priors (UGGPA/LSAT). Beware of the deposits they will make you cough up before your spring grades are released. It's $1600. Maybe it's a good insurance policy if you are set on transferring, but if you end up going somewhere besides GULC, you're going to eat the deposit. It stings a little bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 am

laxstar1 wrote:Applied and was admitted EA last year. Not really a poster on TLS, but Ill answer your guys questions (I feel for you guys...it's a really anxious period). As far as the questions asked, GULC used to render EA decisions at the end of April or early May, but last year they came out really early. I got my decision April 5th. I remember that they bifurcate deposit payments. They make you pay one payment pretty quickly after you get your admissions letter, then you pay a second deposit in June or July.

Good luck guys...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Laxstar, You are wonderful. I think my biggest question is about the academic environment. My current law school is rather toxic in terms of people being at one another's throats constantly. What is your experience at GULC?

laxstar1

New

Post by laxstar1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:04 pm

No problem. My experiences with my classmates have been nothing short of suburb. The community really embraces the transfers (probably because there are so many of us)...haven't found anything that comes close to "transfer stigma." As far as cutthroat is concerned, I've never had a problem getting someone's notes from a class I missed. I've been sent outlines before from friends who got them from older students. Really, the student body is outstanding. Having said that, I think that truly "cutthroat" student bodies are more prevalent at lower ranked schools because it really is dog-eat-dog when it comes to jobs. Here, so many people get jobs that you really have nothing to gain from being a tool. No idea what the student body is like at other T-14's, but I imagine its probably similar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 pm

laxstar1 wrote:No problem. My experiences with my classmates have been nothing short of suburb. The community really embraces the transfers (probably because there are so many of us)...haven't found anything that comes close to "transfer stigma." As far as cutthroat is concerned, I've never had a problem getting someone's notes from a class I missed. I've been sent outlines before from friends who got them from older students. Really, the student body is outstanding. Having said that, I think that truly "cutthroat" student bodies are more prevalent at lower ranked schools because it really is dog-eat-dog when it comes to jobs. Here, so many people get jobs that you really have nothing to gain from being a tool. No idea what the student body is like at other T-14's, but I imagine its probably similar.
This is absolutely wonderful news.

Another random question: When did you receive your status checker email? My application went in on Sunday, but so far the only emails that I have received are from LSAC.

boxie

New

Post by boxie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Last year it took 4 days for me to get the status checker email. As long as LSAC says your application has been transmitted, you're fine. It just takes GULC a little while.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Submitted. Kinda long shot (Top 30%), but we'll see! I have ties to the area. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Got my status checker email and went complete as of today, 2/6/2014.

Here goes nothing!

purpledrink

New

Post by purpledrink » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Hey guys had a couple questions. Does GULC review applications before the LOR arrives there? And how early did they let people know last year? I've heard from a few people at school that it was late March? Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:29 pm

purpledrink wrote:Hey guys had a couple questions. Does GULC review applications before the LOR arrives there? And how early did they let people know last year? I've heard from a few people at school that it was late March? Thanks!!
You might want to inquire with the admissions office on this one, but I am relatively sure that they will hold your application until your file is complete.

I emailed the office earlier this week regarding the Transfer Certification Form, and they confirmed that my file was complete, and therefore ready for review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FrostedMiniWheats

New

Post by FrostedMiniWheats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:35 pm

checking in.

Top 10% at T20.
Will submit EA as soon as prof submits my rec letter
laxstar1 wrote:Probably should have mentioned this, but I chose to attend here too...so I'm happy to talk about my experiences and answer your questions about attending GULC
Thanks for taking questions! What's OCI like for transfers?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 am

I was also wondering if you can send a LOCI. I know I did it during admissions last year. If so, how soon? Would late Feb/early March work?

Good luck all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:38 pm

FrostedMiniWheats wrote:checking in.

Top 10% at T20.
Will submit EA as soon as prof submits my rec letter
laxstar1 wrote:Probably should have mentioned this, but I chose to attend here too...so I'm happy to talk about my experiences and answer your questions about attending GULC
Thanks for taking questions! What's OCI like for transfers?
I can't speak from personal experience because I'm also applying to transfer but I had two friends who transferred a few years ago and said that OCI was no problem for that (One friend from a T1; the other from a T2).

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Not all transfers kill it at OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laxstar1

New

Post by laxstar1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks for taking questions! What's OCI like for transfers?[/quote]

I've gotten some personal messages about this, so I'll just respond publicly here. It's really hard for me to make a generalization about how transfers do given that there are (a) so many of them and (b) there is pretty significant diversity as far as goals for transferring. Some transfers come to GULC because they want the gov't and PI opportunities that come with being at GULC. Others gun for DC, NYC, and a range of other places. One thing that I think get's really undersold about GULC OCI is that because we're so big, firms from all over the country really do come here to recruit. So, I think within the T14, a GULC degree is on the more portable side as far as national placement power goes. I'll qualify that with saying that because we're so big, that national placement power may be overstated (in other words, a SF firm that has more GULC grads that UVA grads may just be a function of the different size of the two schools, not the placement power of GULC).

To answer the question directly, how you'll do individually is a function of 1) your previous school and grades rank, 2) your bidding strategy, and 3) your interviewing skills. I think you need to be realistic about how appealing you are to a firm. If you transferred from a lower ranked T1 with a really solid GPA, you're obviously more desirable than someone from a T4 who barely squeaked in. That's not to say people from T4s don't get jobs per se, but that the lower ranked school you come from, the more conservative you need to be with bidding.

As far as my anecdotal experience, virtually all of my transfer friends have jobs. A good chunk of them got it at OCI...some had to hunt after OCI. Needless to say, if transfers couldn't get jobs, then nobody would pay the 100K or whatever that comes with transferring. Having said that, UnfrozenCaveman is obviously correct in that not every transfer kills it at OCI. While having a GULC degree obviously makes you a more desirable candidate, it is not a golden ticket to $160K. My opinion-- which may or may not be correct, as a disclaimer-- is that you'll do better as a transfer at GULC than you would at your lower ranked school, but you still may not do good enough to get a biglaw job. Ultimately, you'll have to reflect on whether the added expense of coming to GULC is worth the risk that you're going to go further in debt without realizing the benefit of a biglaw job. There's just no simple "yes it is" or "no it isn't" answer to that question.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Hey guys, talked to admissions earlier. They said there was a problem with the EA-designation part of the application. They are going to send out an email asking people to confirm if they applied EA or regular.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:54 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Hey guys, talked to admissions earlier. They said there was a problem with the EA-designation part of the application. They are going to send out an email asking people to confirm if they applied EA or regular.
Damn, good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:46 am

Yo Laxstar, what were your stats when you applied to transfer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”