Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer or Stay

Stay at Temple
24%
Transfer to Penn
76%

Total votes: 58

Frm312

New

Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Post by Frm312 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm

So I know it might be premature to start making this decision, but I ended up with a 4.0 my first semester at Temple and based on what I've read on this forum (assuming I dont screw up second semester) I should have a solid shot at Transferring into Penn.

I plan on staying in the Philadelphia area, so idk if itd be worth the extra 100k in debt for me to transfer. Does anyone have any insight into the long-term benefits of having Penn Law on my resume instead of Temple? I'm pretty certain that I would have the same first job options within philly if I stick with Temple and stay at the top of my class, so i'm looking for another reason to justify the extra debt.

Also, how hard is it to make the transfer? If I stay in the top 1% is it a shoe-in or more like 50/50?

thanks

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Doesn't seem like it if you just want Philly biglaw.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Doesn't seem like it if you just want Philly biglaw.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Based on the yahoo database, you should have a very real chance of getting into Penn... Having said that, the decision isn't Penn vs. Temple... the decision is really Penn @ sticker vs. Temple after you negotiate for a very large scholarship, if not full tuition.

If you're serious about wanting to stay in Philly, and you're okay with mid-law to start, Temple makes a lot of sense. IF on the other hand you're set on Big-law and would be interested in possibly working in NYC/DC or elsewhere, the mobility of Penn would begin to play a larger role.

Either way- you have to wait to wait till after spring grades to make these decisions. I think you absolutely will need to put in the apps, if for nothing else but negotiating power.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm

0L so not qualified in any way but I am curious about this situation. If the OP were interested in a clerkship would that change his decision to transfer or is it the same as big law in that, at the top of his class, OP will have good pickings at big law and clerkship opportunities in (and only in?) the Philly area?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Nickg415 wrote:0L so not qualified in any way but I am curious about this situation. If the OP were interested in a clerkship would that change his decision to transfer or is it the same as big law in that, at the top of his class, OP will have good pickings at big law and clerkship opportunities in (and only in?) the Philly area?
Should be able to get at least a District clerkship w/ a 4.0 from Temple.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:If you're serious about wanting to stay in Philly, and you're okay with mid-law to start, Temple makes a lot of sense. IF on the other hand you're set on Big-law and would be interested in possibly working in NYC/DC or elsewhere, the mobility of Penn would begin to play a larger role.
This is incorrect. Every big law firm in Philadelphia that would consider a Penn transfer student would give a top 5% Temple student with the right ties the same or more consideration. I believe that some of the firms prefer to pull from the top of the class at Temple because they know the person is more likely to accept the offer and not decide to take a job in NY or DC instead.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

It is definitely not worth transferring to Penn from Temple if you are top 1%. You will get biglaw in Philly, no question, 100k is nothing to sneeze at, and the top 1% probably could put you in play for some clerking gigs if you want them. Hell, I would think top 1% at Temple might even allow some hail mary apps thrown to firms outside of Philly to get through.

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Frm312 wrote:So I know it might be premature to start making this decision, but I ended up with a 4.0 my first semester at Temple and based on what I've read on this forum (assuming I dont screw up second semester) I should have a solid shot at Transferring into Penn.

I plan on staying in the Philadelphia area, so idk if itd be worth the extra 100k in debt for me to transfer. Does anyone have any insight into the long-term benefits of having Penn Law on my resume instead of Temple? I'm pretty certain that I would have the same first job options within philly if I stick with Temple and stay at the top of my class, so i'm looking for another reason to justify the extra debt.

Also, how hard is it to make the transfer? If I stay in the top 1% is it a shoe-in or more like 50/50?

thanks
If you stay at or near the same rank, you'll get in as a transfer for sure.

That said, I think I agree with most people that it's unnecessary for you to bother. You'll get a philly firm to take a chance on you (with the right interviewing skills of course). That said, if you ever have aspirations of getting out of Philly, a Penn degree is more mobile. Further, it might be a good hedge against a crappy set of interviews, because you'll also have more NYC/DC firms willing to take a look at you. I disagree with the argument that you would get MORE consideration being from temple, but given what you want, it seems like it would be a wise choice to stay. I transferred to Penn because I wanted it to look like I wanted to be in Philly (and, ironically, ended up choosing NYC -- though I did have a couple of Philly offers). You don't have that same problem because you're already here. Enjoy the good grades and congrats either way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Wholigan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you're serious about wanting to stay in Philly, and you're okay with mid-law to start, Temple makes a lot of sense. IF on the other hand you're set on Big-law and would be interested in possibly working in NYC/DC or elsewhere, the mobility of Penn would begin to play a larger role.
This is incorrect. Every big law firm in Philadelphia that would consider a Penn transfer student would give a top 5% Temple student with the right ties the same or more consideration. I believe that some of the firms prefer to pull from the top of the class at Temple because they know the person is more likely to accept the offer and not decide to take a job in NY or DC instead.
Quoting fail, Rad would never say that.

But otherwise, this is correct.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 am

Agreed with Wholigan. Stay at Temple since you want Philly BigLaw and are in an excellent position to get it (and probably have your pick of firms). Right now things you should focus on are applying to 1L firms jobs in Philly (and USAO/company GC's/etc.), setting up informational interviews with Temple alumni at Philly BigLaw firms (or other firms you're interested in), going to every firm reception possible and learning about the firm, and working as much as possible on your interview skills so you can own it come OCI.

Frm312

New

Post by Frm312 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 am

Just out of curiosity, why are people voting in the complete opposite direction of the answers in this thread? Is it just because of the preftige of transferring?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Just out of curiosity, why are people voting in the complete opposite direction of the answers in this thread? Is it just because of the preftige of transferring?
I think the votes usually go in favor of transferring due to preftige and people who don't have actual transfer experience voting. But in OP's case, it doesn't make that much sense since he doesn't seem to want to transfer and wants to stay in Philly (or possibly Wilmington, but I don't know if a Penn transfer will help there either).

Personally, I think transferring most helps people who are not a lock to get BigLaw and want it (think top 4-6% at T2's; top 10-15% at T1's, etc.) or people who want to work in a major market where your school doesn't really send people to (or a combination of the two) or people who want to go "home". Taking on additional debt to end up in the same job as you would've had at your old school seems kind of dumb to me.

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Frm312 wrote:Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there

You can get an offer there from temple. I had an offer there from Penn, but interviewed with people from a wide range and rank of schools.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Frm312 wrote:Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there
I personally know a good student at Temple who will be working at Skadden in Delaware this year.

ETA: And he didn't have any real connections there either.

Frm312

New

Post by Frm312 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Kronk wrote:
I personally know a good student at Temple who will be working at Skadden in Delaware this year.

ETA: And he didn't have any real connections there either.
That's really good to know, thanks for the input

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ohvai

New

Post by ohvai » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm in a similar situation (no rankings available, but probably top 5%). I'm not sure if I would go through with a transfer, but I was wondering if Temple is open to negotiating scholarships for top students who want to transfers. I've had an awful experience with negotiating their scholarship offer during the admissions process, although I had similar offers from T30 schools. Did anyone have experience with negotiating scholarships with Temple after their 1L?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Reading through the OCI threads, wasn't Philly a slaughter for most people this year? I would assume the boost would help.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Reading through the OCI threads, wasn't Philly a slaughter for most people this year? I would assume the boost would help.
I am guessing being in the top 5 students of your respectable regional law school would help a lot more.

chelssd3232

New

Post by chelssd3232 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm

ohvai wrote:I'm in a similar situation (no rankings available, but probably top 5%). I'm not sure if I would go through with a transfer, but I was wondering if Temple is open to negotiating scholarships for top students who want to transfers. I've had an awful experience with negotiating their scholarship offer during the admissions process, although I had similar offers from T30 schools. Did anyone have experience with negotiating scholarships with Temple after their 1L?
I know this thread stopped being active awhile ago, but any chance anyone has any information on this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Temple gives you a good shot at many of the Philly firms, however, even with good grades there are a number of Temple grads that end up emptyhanded. When its time to lateral upward, that’s when Penn comes through big league (as they say these days).

Phillyc/o18

New

Post by Phillyc/o18 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 am

Went through this decision Summer of 2016. I stayed at Temple, and I'm so thankful I did. If you want to stay in Philadelphia, there's no reason to leave Temple. I also negotiated with Temple to lower my tuition once they saw I was accepted to Penn. This is common and Temple will give you some fair to try to keep you, but don't expect much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”