Is It Worth It? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jlockhart6

Bronze

Is It Worth It?

Post by jlockhart6 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi there - I am still waiting on rankings, but I should be top 1-3% of my class. My question is, is it worth going to a top 14 if accepted to any over being top of my class at a tier 3 (likely on law review/scholarship, etc.). For job prospects, I am open to practicing wherever, I just want to set myself with the best opportunity for a good job. Thanks for any and all insight.

colemf

Bronze

Re: Is It Worth It?

Post by colemf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes, it is worth it.

jlockhart6

Bronze

Post by jlockhart6 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:43 pm

colemf wrote:Yes, it is worth it.
Even though it is unlikely to be in the very top of my class at the top14?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:56 pm

jlockhart6 wrote:
why do you think it would be very unlikely to make the top of your class at the T14?

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Yep probably because as you go higher in USNWR rank, you can get lower in class rank and still have decent job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jlockhart6

Bronze

Post by jlockhart6 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 pm

MissLucky wrote:
jlockhart6 wrote:
why do you think it would be very unlikely to make the top of your class at the T14?
Well I guess unlikely is a poor word choice, not certain would be more appropriate. Obviously I would continue to do things the way I have thus far (with a 3.9 GPA on a 2.7 curve), but my competition increases significantly there.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:07 pm

The conventional wisdom is that transfer students experience no appreciable drop in ranking at their new schools. Whether there's actually enough data to even marginally support this assertion is up for debate, but it's encouraging if nothing else.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:13 pm

I think you need to start honing in on what you want specifically, career-wise, and then ask whether or not your current position will afford you a decent shot at that. If the top of the class at the school you are currently at feeds well into the market it is in (and you are cool with that market) and the kind of work you are looking for, then it would be reasonable to stay where you are at. If you are looking to work in another market, I would almost certainly advise you to transfer to a school in/near that market.

In regards to performance after transferring, based on the VERY small amount of data available on transferapps, most students do experience a bit of a drop, but it looks like they remain in the top third, at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”