Can you defer a transfer offer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
broadhead

New

Can you defer a transfer offer?

Post by broadhead » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Has anyone ever heard of someone who deferred a transfer offer? Just to make sure I'm clear: I'm imagining what it would be like to take a year off to work between 1L at the old school and starting 2L at the new one. I assume other people have wanted to, if only because the turnaround is so fast for finding a place and moving, etc., or for financial reasons or whatever.

If you haven't heard of anyone doing so, do you think it's impossible?

If you have heard of someone, did they have a really good reason? If so, do you think they needed it?

Thanks y'all.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Can you defer a transfer offer?

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:53 pm

broadhead wrote:Has anyone ever heard of someone who deferred a transfer offer? Just to make sure I'm clear: I'm imagining what it would be like to take a year off to work between 1L at the old school and starting 2L at the new one. I assume other people have wanted to, if only because the turnaround is so fast for finding a place and moving, etc., or for financial reasons or whatever.

If you haven't heard of anyone doing so, do you think it's impossible?

If you have heard of someone, did they have a really good reason? If so, do you think they needed it?

Thanks y'all.
Never heard of it, are you considering it? And if so, why?

broadhead

New

Post by broadhead » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Never heard of it, are you considering it? And if so, why?
I guess so. That is, I would like to consider it, if I get in anywhere, etc. For me it would mostly be personal reasons.

But I can imagine other, more interesting ones. If you wanted to be an academic, you could get a lot of writing done (working with profs from either school, maybe). Maybe also financial reasons? Most people would probably just take on the debt and (hopefully) make more money after finishing the J.D. than they would during the year off. But I guess if you had trouble borrowing enough to live on, working for a year could help. And then there's the ability to take your time finding a place in and moving to the new city.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Honestly, I highly doubt it. Transfers are so competitive that it almost seems unfair to do that to the other applicants.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 pm

i like your pup

handlebutton

New

Post by handlebutton » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 pm

For what it's worth, I have one data-point for an affirmative. The situation was a friend who transferred from UGA to Emory Law, and went through some personal stuff. I'm pretty sure Emory allowed him to either come in the Spring time, or the following summer. Unlike 1L, you don't HAVE to start your 2L in the Fall for curriculum purposes, so logistically you can graduate in time if you overload in the summer, plus take one extra class somewhere in the 3L terms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”