Another what are my chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wanttochange

New

Another what are my chances

Post by wanttochange » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Hey all. Long time poster with new I'd so that I don't out myself. Whatdi you think my chances are at the following schools. Top 20% (barely) at a high Tier 2 school (50-55)
bu
nd
bc
vandy
Emory
wash u
fordam
William and Mary

Thanks

A'nold

Gold

Re: Another what are my chances

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:38 pm

wanttochange wrote:Hey all. Long time poster with new I'd so that I don't out myself. Whatdi you think my chances are at the following schools. Top 20% (barely) at a high Tier 2 school (50-55)
bu- out
nd- out
bc- out
vandy- out
Emory- in?
wash u- out
fordam- out
William and Mary- in?

Thanks
This is just a guess based off of the feel I get from previous years on transferapps. My guesses might be a little too pesimistic, but just my initial thoughts.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:42 pm

I don't see how he wouldn't get into nearly all of those.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm

That seems far too pessimistic. Transferapps data suggests success at many if not most of the schools. Wash U is surprisingly easy. I just wonder if there would be a real benefit to transfering in this situation, depends upon the specific school u are attending. But if it is say Uconn, top 20 percent is decent and don't know if there would be a measurable advantage to being a transfer student at any of the listed schools

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah, but we are talking about top 20% here. Even if he/she was top 15% I would be far more optimistic. I think OP will definitely get in to some of them. But I doubt schools like Fordham, especially.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dempsey

New

Post by dempsey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't mean to be rude A'nold, but just actually look at the database. Students from t-55 schools with top 20 percent grades have had little trouble transferring to these schools. I mean, I guess you don't have to believe your lying eyes but...Were we talking t-14 schools then I would agree with you.

dempsey

New

Post by dempsey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm

and again, I just don't know that there is a decided advantage to transferring in this instance. OP, why are you seeking to transfer? These are some very goods schools you are looking at, I particularly like Vanderbilt myself, but what advantage are you pursuing here? Mind telling us the school you are presently attending?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm

dempsey wrote:I don't mean to be rude A'nold, but just actually look at the database. Students from t-55 schools with top 20 percent grades have had little trouble transferring to these schools. I mean, I guess you don't have to believe your lying eyes but...Were we talking t-14 schools then I would agree with you.
Fair enough. I was just considering OP's school as a typical t2 but if a top 55 distinction matters then sure I guess. I'll bow out of this thread.

wanttochange

New

Post by wanttochange » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 pm

Hey, thanks for the help.
I the school i attending currently is between 53-58. I am mostly looking to transfer to a school that will up my chances of landing a biglaw job. My school currently places about 10% at big law while most of these schools place between 20-30%. Also, I am currently attending a regional school, that is currently losing its region to crippling economic depression.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dempsey

New

Post by dempsey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 pm

I'd really investigate how successful transfer students are at the OCI's of these schools. I'd love to know what school you are presently at, 20% at a decent school should land you something, but if BigLaw is the goal...still, a transfer student at these schools?

wanttochange

New

Post by wanttochange » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 pm

Is the consensus that top 20 at school ranked 53-58 is better than being a transfer at a schools similar to BC, GW, WUSTL, or ND?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”