Is it really that big of a mistake...... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Is it really that big of a mistake......

Post by A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 pm

to transfer if I want to do prosecution? It will only cost me about 1/3 more to pay sticker at a transfer school. I just really want to transfer but would I be giving up any chance at getting into prosecution? Would the local market shun me b/c I'm not from the area? I haven't networked at all at my current school so I really have no connections there.......

dakatz

Gold

Re: Is it really that big of a mistake......

Post by dakatz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:35 pm

A'nold wrote:to transfer if I want to do prosecution? It will only cost me about 1/3 more to pay sticker at a transfer school. I just really want to transfer but would I be giving up any chance at getting into prosecution? Would the local market shun me b/c I'm not from the area? I haven't networked at all at my current school so I really have no connections there.......
Last edited by dakatz on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:35 pm

A'nold wrote:to transfer if I want to do prosecution? It will only cost me about 1/3 more to pay sticker at a transfer school. I just really want to transfer but would I be giving up any chance at getting into prosecution? Would the local market shun me b/c I'm not from the area? I haven't networked at all at my current school so I really have no connections there.......
What is your summer job?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
What is your summer job?
Hmmm.....that's still very up in the air. In fact, I may actually be one of the leper unemployed 1L's when all is said and done.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:38 pm

A'nold wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
What is your summer job?
Hmmm.....that's still very up in the air. In fact, I may actually be one of the leper unemployed 1L's when all is said and done.
Really? With your grades?

I obviously don't know your personal situation, but if you are struggling to get 1L employment from your current school, I wouldn't feel good about post-graduation employment from your current school either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Dude, I just started to like you and now you are back with the hedging. Why don't you get your apps out, see what sticks, and then make the inevitable introspective post on tls soliciting a bunch of strangers' opinions on something you already know in your heart you want. Deal?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:54 pm

solidsnake wrote:Dude, I just started to like you and now you are back with the hedging. Why don't you get your apps out, see what sticks, and then make the inevitable introspective post on tls soliciting a bunch of strangers' opinions on something you already know in your heart you want. Deal?
Even though this is a douchetruck way of saying it, I think he is right. In our PMs and based on what you have said in threads, it is clear you want to transfer. Apply and see what happens, and if you find a school you really like, see if you can get in touch with some transfer students at that school for their perspective.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
A'nold wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
What is your summer job?
Really? With your grades?

I obviously don't know your personal situation, but if you are struggling to get 1L employment from your current school, I wouldn't feel good about post-graduation employment from your current school either.
The only way 1Ls at my school get jobs are through the school's externship program that you have to pay bank for or through connections. I couldn't do an externship b/c I had to break my lease to transfer....yeah, a weird predicament.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 am

A'nold for what its worth I want to do Fed Prosecution, and the reality is it will be easier for me at better schools, even with being top 7 or 8% at IU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:21 am

How many transfer threads have you made??

--ImageRemoved--

Balancing location, cost, and job opportunities (including opportunity costs of transferring) is key. But it can't be done in the abstract. Where are you at, where are you considering going, how much do each cost, where do you want to live, and do you have any connections (personal, not necessarily legal) to the location you are transferring to?

EDIT: I declare this the A'nold transfer thread.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 am

solidsnake wrote:Dude, I just started to like you and now you are back with the hedging. Why don't you get your apps out, see what sticks, and then make the inevitable introspective post on tls soliciting a bunch of strangers' opinions on something you already know in your heart you want. Deal?
^this. without knowing where you actually have the option of going, you're just going to keep going in circles.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am

Fortunately, you don't need to make the decision now, and you'd only be cheating yourself if you didn't at least explore your options.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 am

samiseaborn wrote:
^this. without knowing where you actually have the option of going, you're just going to keep going in circles.
TCR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Maybe I didn't state my concern correctly in the OP. I am not hedging here, although I know I am known as the TLS's token hedger. I'm really just concerned b/c everyone keeps telling me that I should stay at my state t3 if I want to do state prosecution b/c of "connections." I'm just wondering if anyone knew if transfers have a hard time getting local employers to buy that they want to stay or if they can build the relationships necessary to get these kinds of jobs when they aren't as prestiges or grade based.

I've already sent out a crap ton of transfer apps and trust me, I'll go if I get into a t17.....it's the schools ranked lower that I'm a little worried about.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:14 pm

You really should refrain trying to plan too far ahead until you know what your options are for sure. I felt just like you a few months ago after my fall semester grades came out. However, things completely changed and my decision to transfer was solidified when I received my first acceptance. "Keep your options open" by applying, and then you can decide if its really for you. I have a feeling that deciding between transferring and not transferring will be a lot easier when you know your options better. BTW, are you at the University of Idaho?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Journeybound wrote:You really should refrain trying to plan too far ahead until you know what your options are for sure. I felt just like you a few months ago after my fall semester grades came out. However, things completely changed and my decision to transfer was solidified when I received my first acceptance. "Keep your options open" by applying, and then you can decide if its really for you. I have a feeling that deciding between transferring and not transferring will be a lot easier when you know your options better. BTW, are you at the University of Idaho?
I agree. It's just that I think I at least have a decent shot of getting into one of the 11-12 schools I applied to. But, you are right, you have to have one in the bag to even talk and maybe I'll miss them all.

PM'ed you.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 pm

No, I'm pretty sure that you'll get into many. But, you will feel more confident and better able to make an informed decision once you are in. I'm not sure why getting into the first school helped me, but it did. At least I hope that you will! This is just my personal experience. I remember wanting to scream during spring break because I wasn't sure whether or not I should transfer. Now I feel completely confident.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 pm

A'nold wrote:
Maybe I didn't state my concern correctly in the OP. I am not hedging here, although I know I am known as the TLS's token hedger. I'm really just concerned b/c everyone keeps telling me that I should stay at my state t3 if I want to do state prosecution b/c of "connections." I'm just wondering if anyone knew if transfers have a hard time getting local employers to buy that they want to stay or if they can build the relationships necessary to get these kinds of jobs when they aren't as prestiges or grade based.

I've already sent out a crap ton of transfer apps and trust me, I'll go if I get into a t17.....it's the schools ranked lower that I'm a little worried about.
Do you want to do state prosecution as in working for the AG's office or as in working as an ADA? More importantly, do you want to remain in the market in which your school places? If not, transferring is a no-brainer. If you transfer to a T17, I don't foresee you having much trouble placing with the DA's office. On top of that, you'll have a much better shot at AG or USAO jobs.

From a financial standpoint, I think you're in a position where the incremental cost of transferring is far outweighed by the benefits that will accrue to you throughout your career, having graduated from a T17 (hopefully a T14!). If I was going to only spend 1/3 more at any given T17 transfer school, I think my decision on whether to transfer at all would be much easier.

From your posts it's clear you want to spend the remainder of law school at a more prestigious school. If you get into a T17 in an area in which you'd like to live and your family is on board, I don't see many things that should be holding you back from enrolling.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:32 pm

sanpiero wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Do you want to do state prosecution as in working for the AG's office or as in working as an ADA? More importantly, do you want to remain in the market in which your school places? If not, transferring is a no-brainer. If you transfer to a T17, I don't foresee you having much trouble placing with the DA's office. On top of that, you'll have a much better shot at AG or USAO jobs.

From a financial standpoint, I think you're in a position where the incremental cost of transferring is far outweighed by the benefits that will accrue to you throughout your career, having graduated from a T17 (hopefully a T14!). If I was going to only spend 1/3 more at any given T17 transfer school, I think my decision on whether to transfer at all would be much easier.

From your posts it's clear you want to spend the remainder of law school at a more prestigious school. If you get into a T17 in an area in which you'd like to live and your family is on board, I don't see many things that should be holding you back from enrolling.
Thanks, this was a really great response and I really appreciate it. :) So, why does everyone covet AUSA jobs over being an ADA? Is this a prestige thing or is the job that much better?

handlebutton

New

Post by handlebutton » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 pm

AUSA >>> ADA because you get to work on a diverse variety of cases of higher importance.

Its really about the "type of work".

I'm not sure the lay person understands the first thing about the distniction between an AUSA or an ADA, I doubt the lay person even understands what a district attorney is, let alone federal, state, or local. This "prestige" thing is getting old.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”