Chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiscohopeful

Bronze

Chances

Post by wiscohopeful » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:36 pm

I go to DePaul in Chicago and have a 3.643 which should (class ranks not yet released) put me in the top 10% and qualify me for law review. I had a 3.5 (no A's) first semester and a 3.79 (Three A's and a B) second semester. I am going to try and transfer to NU and U Chicago and was wondering what other people's experiences/insights were. I also have two parents who went to NU law but doubt that really means anything. I went to a good undergrad but do not have work experience sans a 6 month stint in a retail store as an assistant manager. Any input would be appreciated and best of luck to those also trying to transfer.

A'nold

Gold

Re: Chances

Post by A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:40 pm

This is completely unbacked by fact but I think the fact that both of your parents went to NU Law coupled with your stats would really help you out.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:47 pm

I hope that you're right! :)

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Bump...I just got word from one of my professors that I got a CALI in one of my classes. Do those add much at all to an application or is it more of a...meh who cares type award?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:33 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:Bump...I just got word from one of my professors that I got a CALI in one of my classes. Do those add much at all to an application or is it more of a...meh who cares type award?
Small bump. Shows that you kick ass. Multiple CALI's I think help more.

Have you decided on if/where you are applying? I go to a similar school and would be interested into seeing where you end up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Seems like you want to stay in Chicago but have you considered Michigan? Only 4hrs away...or WashU...4 and 1/2 hrs away...

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:21 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:I had a 3.5 (no A's) first semester and a 3.79 (Three A's and a B) second semester.
Depaul top 10% -> GULC EA at best

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:50 pm

tbo123123 wrote:
wiscohopeful wrote:I had a 3.5 (no A's) first semester and a 3.79 (Three A's and a B) second semester.
Depaul top 10% -> GULC EA at best
How do you figure? I personally know two people at Depaul that transferred to Michigan and Chicago in the last 3 years. They were probably top 5% but still, I don't think GULC is a ceiling. Its a T2 school thats got an okay rep.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Tranfer, transfer, transfer, transfer, transfer, transfer, transfer, transfer, transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Kobe: I may still apply to Michigan. I am kinda settled in Chicago though and I would ultimately like to end up here. What are people's thoughts on transferring to Michigan (and losing my class rank ultimately to return to Chicago)?

Ragged: I am trying, trying, trying, trying.

Stinger: I am applying to Northwestern and U Chicago (and maybe Michigan). We shall see!

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:52 pm

IMO, if you are settled in Chicago and you feel your quality of life would take a hit by leaving AND you want to eventually end up here, its either Chicago/NWestern or DePaul + top 10% + LR.

But thats just me and is only based on the little info I have

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”