Top 10% at Top 25 School chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tomwelling

New

Top 10% at Top 25 School chances

Post by tomwelling » Sat May 29, 2010 3:03 pm

I hadn't really ever thought about transferring, but I just got my second semester grades back and did well enough to consider it.

I have a half scholarship at my current Top 25 school and have a chance to make law review... at what point would a school be enough of an improvement to justify transferring? Obviously, HYS would, but I am not sure that transferring into, say, Cornell (and paying sticker) would leave me better off than my current position.

Also, the obligatory "what are my chances" question: do I have an outside shot at HYS, or is that still probably out of my reach?

Arrow

Bronze

Re: Top 10% at Top 25 School chances

Post by Arrow » Sat May 29, 2010 10:11 pm

tomwelling wrote:I hadn't really ever thought about transferring, but I just got my second semester grades back and did well enough to consider it.

I have a half scholarship at my current Top 25 school and have a chance to make law review... at what point would a school be enough of an improvement to justify transferring? Obviously, HYS would, but I am not sure that transferring into, say, Cornell (and paying sticker) would leave me better off than my current position.

Also, the obligatory "what are my chances" question: do I have an outside shot at HYS, or is that still probably out of my reach?
Congrats on your success during your 1st year! You're already in great shape, and with those grades, you should have no trouble getting that half scholarship up to a full one (assuming your school does that sort of thing and has money).

I do not think a half scholarship would be worth it to give up the T14. A full scholarship would though. Since you're already at a great school, I would definitely transfer if you end up in the T6 (maybe T10 if you really like one of those schools/regions in particular). Cornell is a great school, but if you're only transferring up 10 spots, then you are not going up very far and it might almost feel like a lateral transfer. Plus, you can shoot for much higher with your grades in my opinion.

You do have a shot at HYS, though I would say less than 50%, with Harvard being your best bet. Most students accepted in your range at HYS tend to be in the top 5%. My guess is that you should be a lock at the T10, and probably the T6 if you apply to all of CCN. Yes, these are all random guesses by me. You have a lot of options, and if you have the money, I would send applications to all of HYS just in case you're much closer to the top 5% mark or something and have other hidden talents HYS may like. Good luck!

tomwelling

New

Post by tomwelling » Sun May 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Arrow wrote: Congrats on your success during your 1st year! You're already in great shape, and with those grades, you should have no trouble getting that half scholarship up to a full one (assuming your school does that sort of thing and has money).

I do not think a half scholarship would be worth it to give up the T14. A full scholarship would though. Since you're already at a great school, I would definitely transfer if you end up in the T6 (maybe T10 if you really like one of those schools/regions in particular). Cornell is a great school, but if you're only transferring up 10 spots, then you are not going up very far and it might almost feel like a lateral transfer. Plus, you can shoot for much higher with your grades in my opinion.

You do have a shot at HYS, though I would say less than 50%, with Harvard being your best bet. Most students accepted in your range at HYS tend to be in the top 5%. My guess is that you should be a lock at the T10, and probably the T6 if you apply to all of CCN. Yes, these are all random guesses by me. You have a lot of options, and if you have the money, I would send applications to all of HYS just in case you're much closer to the top 5% mark or something and have other hidden talents HYS may like. Good luck!
Thanks! I appreciate the input

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon May 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Arrow wrote:
tomwelling wrote:I hadn't really ever thought about transferring, but I just got my second semester grades back and did well enough to consider it.

My guess is that you should be a lock at the T10, and probably the T6 if you apply to all of CCN.
I think this is right. I recall someone that posted on TLS said they transferred from IU to Columbia with a top 20% class rank at IU, so I would imagine top 10% at a t25 would be a lock at atleast one of CCN. HYS is a tougher call, but if I were in your position I would apply (worst case scenario you are only out the $80 applications and if you get in that's huge).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 31, 2010 1:43 pm

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon May 31, 2010 3:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Arrow wrote:

My guess is that you should be a lock at the T10, and probably the T6 if you apply to all of CCN.
I think this is right. I recall someone that posted on TLS said they transferred from IU to Columbia with a top 20% class rank at IU, so I would imagine top 10% at a t25 would be a lock at atleast one of CCN. HYS is a tougher call, but if I were in your position I would apply (worst case scenario you are only out the $80 applications and if you get in that's huge).
Careful: That poster had a life shattering emergency situation second semester, which means his/her cycle was very abnormal. Their grades were top of the class first semester and slipped, but with a very legitimate excuse, second semester. Not the anecdote you want to be basing transfer strategy on.
I didn't catch that. Where did he/she say that?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon May 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Last edited by Bankhead on Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”