CHECK YOU [sic] [LR WRITE-ON DATES] Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ToTransferOrNot

Gold

CHECK YOU [sic] [LR WRITE-ON DATES]

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri May 28, 2010 9:45 pm

PSA to all of you folks looking to transfer:

Many T14 schools do not run seperate write-on competitions for admitted transfer students.

What does that mean?

You have to do the write-on for EVERY SCHOOL YOU'RE APPLYING TO, at the same time the natives do the write-on.

Off the topic of my head, I know this applies to UChicago and Harvard. However, I know there are other T14 schools in this list. I have other things to do aside from doing this research for people, but I wanted to give a friendly head's up.

This is one reason to be strategic with your applications. If you really don't have a good chance at Harvard (i.e., only ~top 10% at a low T1,) you may want to forgo doing their write-on (EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULD SUCK IT UP AND PAY THE $100 TO APPLY,) in favor of focusing on, say, Columbia's, since you have a really good shot at Columbia.

Also: If you don't do the write-on for your potential schools, you're [strike]dumb[/strike] being shortsighted, even though doing multiple LR write-ons is probably the worst thing ever.
Also: Secondary is better than nothing, especially as a transfer. Indicates you can hang at least a little with the new crowd.
Also: Do the write-on for your current school. I didn't, and I regret it. Being able to list "accepted to blahblahblah law review" for your old school is apparently quite helpful for OCI.

/end PSA

-Subject line borrowed and adopted courtesy of some partner at some firm somewhere. See ATL.

traydeuce

Silver

Re: CHECK YOU [sic] [LR WRITE-ON DATES]

Post by traydeuce » Sun May 30, 2010 2:28 am

See I kind of saw this the other way; I should do the write-on at my reach school and not the one where I was pretty sure I was getting in, since maybe LR, if I made it, would leverage me into the reach.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 30, 2010 1:47 pm

traydeuce wrote:See I kind of saw this the other way; I should do the write-on at my reach school and not the one where I was pretty sure I was getting in, since maybe LR, if I made it, would leverage me into the reach.
lol

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun May 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Penn has a separate transfer writing comp in August.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon May 31, 2010 7:33 am

Berkeley's is separate. You'll do it during OCI. Have fun with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Mon May 31, 2010 10:19 am

worldtraveler wrote:Berkeley's is separate. You'll do it during OCI. Have fun with that.
:shock:

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon May 31, 2010 6:36 pm

I think I actually read that Berekeley moved their W/O Comp for transfers to mid july this year

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon May 31, 2010 7:02 pm

If you grade onto your old school's law review, can you still write on your resume "accepted onto blah blah blah..."? Or do you need to have written on?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”