Dean's Cert Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
samiseaborn

Bronze

Dean's Cert

Post by samiseaborn » Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm

For those requesting paperwork from underg/grad schools long distance, did you provide postage/envelopes for the registrar's office to send the completed forms back to you or to the specific school? Does it make a difference where you are having them send it?

solidsnake

Silver

Re: Dean's Cert

Post by solidsnake » Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm

No, I scanned each school's form (HSCN) into a bundled .pdf file and included a detailed cover letter with instructions. I paid tuition there; the least they can do is cover first-class postage (sending each form out directly to each school). I called first and confirmed with my Dean, however.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Yeah, I didn't have to pay for Berkeley or Georgetown so I assume they are all free.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Thu May 27, 2010 3:34 pm

Wow, I wish my undergrad was advanced enough to handle pdfs.

Thanks, I'll save the postage then. I wasn't really afraid they'd refuse to mail them, so much as they'd be less inclined to do it quickly.

ETA: wait.. georgetown? they only want a law school cert. right? not undergrad. I haven't even contemplated the law school one's because I'm afraid my 2nd semester grades will suck and then the school will be pissed I tried to transfer.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Thu May 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Cal and gulc require only LS letters of good standing, not UG.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Thu May 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Good, thanks for the confirmation, momentary panic attack there. You'd think that I'd be used to the app process by now after all these year, but it never seems to get easier.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu May 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I think having the forms sent back to you is the best option. I had each school send me the paperwork and I waited until I received everything before mailing a package to each school to which I was applying. I had problems getting paperwork signed at some of the schools and wasn't going to take a chance that things were not sent when I was told they were.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Thu May 27, 2010 8:09 pm

upgrade wrote:I think having the forms sent back to you is the best option. I had each school send me the paperwork and I waited until I received everything before mailing a package to each school to which I was applying. I had problems getting paperwork signed at some of the schools and wasn't going to take a chance that things were not sent when I was told they were.
I'm having annoying problems wrt the CLS form. I just got a call informing me that my UG Dean, whom I have only met once, and admitted to not remembering me, "doesn't feel comfortable" filling out the CLS form. CLS also wants the Dean to write up a summary report, which my Dean also doesn't want to do. Dean wants a faculty member to write it and doesn't want to sign his name on anything that he doesn't personally write. Any suggestions?

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu May 27, 2010 9:03 pm

solidsnake wrote:I'm having annoying problems wrt the CLS form. I just got a call informing me that my UG Dean, whom I have only met once, and admitted to not remembering me, "doesn't feel comfortable" filling out the CLS form. CLS also wants the Dean to write up a summary report, which my Dean also doesn't want to do. Dean wants a faculty member to write it and doesn't want to sign his name on anything that he doesn't personally write. Any suggestions?
They didn't need a written summary. No actual "Dean" signed my forms either. From what I recall, NYU/CLS just wanted someone in the school's administration building to sign the form saying that I left the school in good standing. One of my schools sent the form between several different offices (taking weeks) for reasons similar to yours. Eventually someone in the office of student affairs signed it and send it back to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Thu May 27, 2010 9:33 pm

NYU is pretty straightforward -- just something asking whether I left the school in good standing. CLS, otoh, has this checklist grid of "reasoning skills, analytical ability, etc." and #5 on CLS's form asks the UG Dean or comparable administrative official to write a summary report of my UG academic credentials and any extracurricular activities. Does anyone (at CLS) actually read this stuff? Should I just have the Dean sign the form sans summary report and send? Making sure my UG sends it out isn't the problem; the problem is the substance of what CLS wants sent.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Thu May 27, 2010 10:21 pm

it says 'or other administrator', so could you find someone other than the Dean? Because it sounds like that other person can do the entire thing then, and the Dean wouldn't have to worry about signing someone else's work at all. Schools must have some standard way to write these 'reports' when so few people actually have contact with their Dean in undergrad unless they've done something wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”