Help A'nold think clearly......... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
leron

Bronze

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Post by leron » Thu May 27, 2010 6:41 pm

top 5% at t1. Am I disadvantaged significantly wrt transferring if I don't submit my apps until mid june or late june?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

A'nold wrote:Alright, just like the rest of my grades this semester, the last two were above median but not outstanding. Suck b/c I thought I absolutely crushed contracts, like there was no doubt walking out that I didn't get an A. Oh well.

Looks like I'm about top 8-10%, most likely top 8%.

T3, top 8% = the abyss. It's going to be a long summer haha.
congrats, that's great man, good luck with transfering

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Attucks wrote:
A'nold wrote:T3, top 8% = the abyss. It's going to be a long summer haha.
About as far from the abyss as possible for someone with your work ethic/career goals. Congratulations, man.
Thanks. :)

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 6:48 pm

upgrade wrote:Are you going to apply to UT?
You'd have to convince my wife that it is even possible, haha. She has vetoed Texas as a waste of money b/c of the out-of-state stigma thing. :)

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 6:48 pm

Matthies wrote:
A'nold wrote:Alright, just like the rest of my grades this semester, the last two were above median but not outstanding. Suck b/c I thought I absolutely crushed contracts, like there was no doubt walking out that I didn't get an A. Oh well.

Looks like I'm about top 8-10%, most likely top 8%.

T3, top 8% = the abyss. It's going to be a long summer haha.
congrats, that's great man, good luck with transfering
Thanks Matthies. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 pm

First of all congrats on your grades and strong finish.
A'nold wrote: Definitely think top 8% at a t3 is a no-go for t14 but my reaches and targets are schools I would be very happy attending so I am still very excited. :)
This isn't true, and you know it. It's just not a lock is all.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 7:08 pm

apper123 wrote:First of all congrats on your grades and strong finish.
A'nold wrote: Definitely think top 8% at a t3 is a no-go for t14 but my reaches and targets are schools I would be very happy attending so I am still very excited. :)
Really? According to the transferapps databases it seems pretty much impossible but I'm still going to shoot a few out. Here the current list:

Bigtime reaches:

1. Michigan
2. Berkeley
3. Northwestern
4. Duke
5. GULC (already did EA pt/ft and was deferred)
6. UCLA
7. Vanderbilt

Targets:

1. WUSTL
2. Emory
3. Minnesota
4. Notre Dame
5. UW-Seattle
6. Hastings

Edit: Also, Texas seems to be concerned with your UG record and LSAT score. Anyone know if they really care about these numbers or are ls grades really the only thing that matters?
Last edited by A'nold on Thu May 27, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu May 27, 2010 7:28 pm

A'nold wrote:
Really? According to the transferapps databases it seems pretty much impossible but I'm still going to shoot a few out. Here the current list:

Bigtime reaches:

1. Michigan
2. Berkeley
3. Northwestern
4. Duke
6. UCLA
7. Vanderbilt

Targets:

1. WUSTL
2. Emory
3. Minnesota
4. Notre Dame
5. UW-Seattle
6. Hastings
I'm gonna get shit for this from people on this board who love to look at jsut stats and think they will all apply to them. But based solely on my personal experience finding legal work, networking and being in the profession for a few years (working while as student and after). I'll just say this about your list, if it was me, and its not, so take with a huge grain of salt, I would choose a school from that list in a decent sized legal market, and the ones in BFE last. Sure things may work out fine, the economy may jump back by the time 2L OCI comes around you get a great offer and summer there and get an acceptance and you're out of the cornfield, but if not, having a decent sized legal market in the same town as the school where you can network does nothing but increase your odds of landing a job. My 2 cents.

Edut: If you afford it I would apply to every top school you can, who knows, one might stick

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Matthies wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Bigtime reaches:

1. Michigan
2. Berkeley
3. Northwestern
4. Duke
6. UCLA
7. Vanderbilt

Targets:

1. WUSTL
2. Emory
3. Minnesota
4. Notre Dame
5. UW-Seattle
6. Hastings
I'm gonna get shit for this from people on this board who love to look at jsut stats and think they will all apply to them. But based solely on my personal experience finding legal work, networking and being in the profession for a few years (working while as student and after). I'll just say this about your list, if it was me, and its not, so take with a huge grain of salt, I would choose a school from that list in a decent sized legal market, and the ones in BFE last. Sure things may work out fine, the economy may jump back by the time 2L OCI comes around you get a great offer and summer there and get an acceptance and you're out of the cornfield, but if not, having a decent sized legal market in the same town as the school where you can network does nothing but increase your odds of landing a job. My 2 cents.

Edut: If you afford it I would apply to every top school you can, who knows, one might stick
Thanks. Yeah, I can't afford anymore than 13 schools. I already am applying to more than was budgeted for and I need money for the move, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu May 27, 2010 7:33 pm

A'nold wrote:
You'd have to convince my wife that it is even possible, haha. She has vetoed Texas as a waste of money b/c of the out-of-state stigma thing. :)
Well, if what I have posted thus far hasn't convinced you it's possible (the only two people I know who were accepted to UT as transfers had no ties to the state, one of whom was also from a T3 in California) then I guess you cannot be convinced. =)

If you prefer the PNW, why not apply to other schools near Seattle as well? I think that T1/T2 schools in that region will provide more benefit than WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory will.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 pm

upgrade wrote:
A'nold wrote:
If you prefer the PNW, why not apply to other schools near Seattle as well? I think that T1/T2 schools in that region will provide more benefit than WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory will.
Agree with this 100%

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm

upgrade wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Well, if what I have posted thus far hasn't convinced you it's possible (the only two people I know who were accepted to UT as transfers had no ties to the state, one of whom was also from a T3 in California) then I guess you cannot be convinced. =)

Well, she liked what you had to say before and I found someone from the 2007 database that got in w/ similar #'s, so it's probs going on the list. Thanks a ton for the advice. 8)

I would die to go there, but what do you think about the whole "good UGGPA and LSAT score" thing on their website?

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 pm

A'nold wrote:Well, she liked what you had to say before and I found someone from the 2007 database that got in w/ similar #'s, so it's probs going on the list. Thanks a ton for the advice. 8)

I would die to go there, but what do you think about the whole "good UGGPA and LSAT score" thing on their website?
My LSAT was at their 25% last year (I think) and my UGPA was below their current 25%. Generally, I think those statements are there so that transfer students are not stigmatized as second-class citizens at the school. If your 1L grades are impressive and they like your app, your LSAT/UGPA are most likely a distant tertiary considerations.

If I were in your shoes, I would drop two of WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory from the list and add UT and Seattle. UT is a much more portable degree, while the others are primarily regional schools.

My guess is that you will get into each of WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory, so applying to all three seems to be a waste. You're spending $80 bucks a pop for presumably three acceptances when you can only take advantage of one acceptance. Adding Seattle gives you a "safety" (if there is such a thing for transfers) in your preferred region. (I haven't spent much time considering the chances of transferring from a T3 school, so my estimations may be off, you probably have a better idea of your chances.)

One additional consideration, there was a huge rankings drop at Mizzou this year, which may make admissions more competitive at WUSTL because there may be many more people applying to transfer to WUSTL from within the state than in the past.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 pm

upgrade wrote:
A'nold wrote:Well, she liked what you had to say before and I found someone from the 2007 database that got in w/ similar #'s, so it's probs going on the list. Thanks a ton for the advice. 8)

My LSAT was at their 25% last year (I think) and my UGPA was below their current 25%. Generally, I think those statements are there so that transfer students are not stigmatized as second-class citizens at the school. If your 1L grades are impressive and they like your app, your LSAT/UGPA are most likely a distant tertiary considerations.

If I were in your shoes, I would drop two of WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory from the list and add UT and Seattle. UT is a much more portable degree, while the others are primarily regional schools.

My guess is that you will get into each of WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory, so applying to all three seems to be a waste. You're spending $80 bucks a pop for presumably three acceptances when you can only take advantage of one acceptance. Adding Seattle gives you a "safety" (if there is such a thing for transfers) in your preferred region. (I haven't spent much time considering the chances of transferring from a T3 school, so my estimations may be off, you probably have a better idea of your chances.)

One additional consideration, there was a huge rankings drop at Mizzou this year, which may make admissions more competitive at WUSTL because there may be many more people applying to transfer to WUSTL from within the state than in the past.
I hear you on the Minn/WUSTL/Emory thing but I'm so nervous that I want a nice safety net. I really, REALLY don't want to go back to my current school. Seattle U. isn't an option as I already had the chance to go there but chose not to for various reasons. My school is not so different from SU to risk losing my rank and scholly and spending like 3-4x as much for tuition just to get the edge in networking in Seattle. Like I said, I love the PNW but I want to go to a great school that is a powerhouse at least somewhere, and Seattle U. does not fit the bill (UW, however, does. :) ).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”