nyu and cls recommendation forms - transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawl Shcool

Silver

nyu and cls recommendation forms - transfer

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Are the personalized forms required? I already have my letters submitted to LSAC and really don't want to hunt these profs down if the forms are not necessary.

A'nold

Gold

Re: nyu and cls recommendation forms - transfer

Post by A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Dude, I think CLS and NYU have made transferring such a pain in the ass that they have effectively taken me out of the running.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Also, how are you guys going about getting the dean's certification from your undergraduate school? Can I just call the school and hope that they already have a standard form?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 pm

check out the supplemental forms on LSAC, they are intense

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Why are they trying to be so freaking unique irt to transfer req's? Look at Berkeley for the way it should be done. I think I'm just going to skip CLS and NYU, for other reasons too, but they just suck in this regard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Journeybound wrote:Also, how are you guys going about getting the dean's certification from your undergraduate school? Can I just call the school and hope that they already have a standard form?
I can't remember which it was, but CLS/NYU required a dean's certification from every undergraduate school ever attended. As far as I remember CLS/NYU didn't care who filled out the form as long as it came from someone in an administrative office. With one (of three) of my undergraduate schools I had to spend over two weeks babysitting the form as it went from one administrative office to the next because people were not comfortable filling out a "Dean's Certification" without being THE Dean...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 am

My concern is the extra stuff that the recommending profs have to fill out. I don't know if I will be able to track them down combined with not being sure what my grades will look like I don't know if it is worth it.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 am

upgrade wrote:
Journeybound wrote:Also, how are you guys going about getting the dean's certification from your undergraduate school? Can I just call the school and hope that they already have a standard form?
I can't remember which it was, but CLS/NYU required a dean's certification from every undergraduate school ever attended. As far as I remember CLS/NYU didn't care who filled out the form as long as it came from someone in an administrative office. With one (of three) of my undergraduate schools I had to spend over two weeks babysitting the form as it went from one administrative office to the next because people were not comfortable filling out a "Dean's Certification" without being THE Dean...
Well, that settles it for me then. I have multiple UG's as well. Screw it.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 am

JPU wrote:My concern is the extra stuff that the recommending profs have to fill out. I don't know if I will be able to track them down combined with not being sure what my grades will look like I don't know if it is worth it.
I really, really doubt you need to fill out the CLS forms if you already have the LOR forms loaded on LSAC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Fri May 21, 2010 9:22 am

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Fri May 21, 2010 12:45 pm

DeweyWins wrote:
JPU wrote:My concern is the extra stuff that the recommending profs have to fill out. I don't know if I will be able to track them down combined with not being sure what my grades will look like I don't know if it is worth it.
I really, really doubt you need to fill out the CLS forms if you already have the LOR forms loaded on LSAC.
That's correct, at least it was last year.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri May 21, 2010 1:49 pm

research fail on my part.

Is NYU the same way?

EggShellPlaintiff

New

Post by EggShellPlaintiff » Fri May 21, 2010 1:59 pm

NYU's app is less clear, but they don't even require LORs...so I would guess either way is fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 pm

All right looks like NYU/CLS just made it back onto the list, now who to vote off the island....

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:02 am

ok how does it work if your school doesnt require professors to submit spring grades until june 15 and then it takes some more time to calculate class ranks? im definitely having my transcripts sent the 1st day they're ready (all grades in) and at that point class rank will not be ready. nyu/cls doesnt list final class rank as a requirement, only final grades. the resume that was bundled with my app has my current rank (fall only) and i probably wont get my spring rank until after they've made a decision on my file. how does this work??? does it help me that my fall rank is amazing?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 23, 2010 2:18 am

upgrade wrote:
DeweyWins wrote:
How do you get that? It looks like they don't allow that. You'd obviously know more than us though.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am

A'nold wrote:
upgrade wrote:
DeweyWins wrote:
How do you get that? It looks like they don't allow that. You'd obviously know more than us though.
I called the admissions department last year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”