Transfering from Non-US to US law school Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sfalloon

New

Transfering from Non-US to US law school

Post by sfalloon » Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am

I know this is a shot in the the dark but I was wondering if anyone has ever or knows of anyone who as sucessfully transferred from a non-US to a US law school?

I opted to attend the Faculty of Law at the University of the West Indies instead of simply taking the LSAT and now I am contemplating moving back to the States.

I am looking primarily at Seton Hall, New York Law School, St John's, Boston University, American University and Howard are my primary options once I take the LSAT.

Even if you are unable to give any advice regarding transfer possibilties (which I suspect are slim to none). I am still open to advice regarding the transition from a British styled law school to the American legal eductaion system.

Thanks.

okay734

New

Re: Transfering from Non-US to US law school

Post by okay734 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 pm

So you opted out of the LSAT and went abroad for a law degree? You probably have a ZERO chance of transfering to the states. Enjoy your law practice in the Carribean.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 18, 2010 4:07 pm

I doubt you can transfer, but you can 1) drop out 2) take the LSAT and 3) apply like a mench.

sfalloon

New

Post by sfalloon » Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Thank you both for your responses. It appears my assumption was correct.

So now I have one of three options (i) drop out-> take the LSAT-> apply then to a US school, (ii) stay, complete the LLB-> apply for LLM admission in the US-> take the bar (-> go back to Caribbean and gets licensed if I feel like it after), (iii) stay, complete the LLB-> get licensed in the Caribbean and stay there.

hmmmm....it's going to be along summer.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

I mean, what's the job market for attorneys in the Carribean and where do you want to live?

sfalloon

New

Post by sfalloon » Wed May 19, 2010 2:57 pm

The Caribean is not a highly litigious region. The majority of the suits revolve around criminal and matrimonial cases. The rest of the work lies primarily in Wills, Trust and Estates. Medical malpractise is rare, so too is admiralty and aero space law. There is however the potential to make a fairly good living from Consituational law as there are probably 3 attorneys that practise in that area in the entire region (though personally I think the number is closer to 1).

The need for international law as far as I am concerned is there and growing. I am basis this on the attempt at a revival of Caricom and FAA, as well as the desired restructuring of various preferntial agreements with Great Britain. There is also the fact of the increase in number of foreign based companies and the expansion and diversification of industry. Then again I might be wrong .. I'm still a novice at the whole thing and there isn't a well researched numerical data base out there tabling the prospects of such a move.

All in all, the market is littered with consistent stream of a specific group of attorneys almost none of which practise in my area of interest. So I think there is a good chance of finding and/or creating work in that field.

The million dollar question of where I want to live is still unanswered.
I enjoy travelling and would like to do as much of it as possible before "settling down". I do, however, intend to live in the Caribbean by the time I am 45 - 50 (I'll hopefully own an arigculture related company by then. Long story, but the authority to practise International Law would tie in nicely).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”