Write-on competitions prior to admissions decision Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CMR

Bronze

Write-on competitions prior to admissions decision

Post by CMR » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Has anyone participated in these?

CMR

Bronze

Re: Write-on competitions prior to admissions decision

Post by CMR » Tue May 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Do not many schools do this? At least 4 of the schools to which I've applied are doing the transfer write-on in the next month; it's rather overwhelming considering I have two summer classes and two RA positions, but that's what they make caffeine for I guess.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

I just did Columbia's.

However, just after finishing the memo tonight, I received the worst grade I have ever gotten; it screwed up my gpa this semester to the point where the highest gpa I can have is a 3.00... and that's assuming the rest of my grades are 100s! It's probably pointless to even turn this memo in. What would you guys do in my situation?

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 pm

dont sweat it, thats like getting a bogey on the first hole and quitting the course. Did you get a C?

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 pm

tbo123123 wrote:dont sweat it, thats like getting a bogey on the first hole and quitting the course. Did you get a C?
7 credits out of fifteen are in the high sixties. I blew two courses. I'm appealing one grade, because it just doesn't appear right, but the other, well, has to be. The test was scantron. Looks like I better sign a two year lease :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 pm

engineer wrote:I just did Columbia's.

However, just after finishing the memo tonight, I received the worst grade I have ever gotten; it screwed up my gpa this semester to the point where the highest gpa I can have is a 3.00... and that's assuming the rest of my grades are 100s! It's probably pointless to even turn this memo in. What would you guys do in my situation?
I'm sure this stings a lot, and I'm really sorry that it had to happen. That kind of thing is the roughest part of law school, and I wish it on nobody. You have my honest sympathy.

That being said... you're kind of the case study in ego. I remember your posts about how your poor performance(s) on exams lat semester were all the professors fault, and your strong performance was the true measure of your potential. How you did well but not extremely well but were still banking on kicking enough ass this semester to make a big transfer and get into Columbia. And to see it not only prove to be false, but to have it happen while you were completing Columbia's write on competition just adds insult to injury. Law school eats egos for breakfast. There's a reason lawyers grow up to be risk averse.

I don't mean to pile on, and I definitely don't mean to insult you. But I couldn't leave it without comment.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 pm

disco_barred wrote: Law school eats egos for breakfast.
Amen to that.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 pm

disco_barred wrote:

I'm sure this stings a lot, and I'm really sorry that it had to happen. That kind of thing is the roughest part of law school, and I wish it on nobody. You have my honest sympathy.

That being said... you're kind of the case study in ego. I remember your posts about how your poor performance(s) on exams lat semester were all the professors fault, and your strong performance was the true measure of your potential. How you did well but not extremely well but were still banking on kicking enough ass this semester to make a big transfer and get into Columbia. And to see it not only prove to be false, but to have it happen while you were completing Columbia's write on competition just adds insult to injury. Law school eats egos for breakfast. There's a reason lawyers grow up to be risk averse.

I don't mean to pile on, and I definitely don't mean to insult you. But I couldn't leave it without comment.
I only performed poorly on one exam last semester, and the professor outright admitted to not reading the exams closely enough. He even apologized and said that I obviously have a command of the material, but he just "didn't have time" to grade the exams appropriately. I have an e-mail that corroborates this claim. My other grades were fine.

This semester, I don't know what happened. I did everything I could, but I guess everyone in my section did it better than I did. Perhaps the problem is that I honestly don't think it's my fault. The grade I'm appealing was posted exactly one week after I took the exam. The prof must have graded at least 15 exams a day for an entire business week to have a turnaround like that. It's just a gut feeling I have--I honestly feel like something is up. Sure, I could have studied more; I could have done better, but that's not the point. I'm just feeling a little sleighted right now. I will ALWAYS own up to my mistakes, but I'm going to maintain my ground on this situation.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

engineer wrote:This semester, I don't know what happened.
People's exhibit A:
engineer wrote:I recorded almost all of my property law lectures using a $100 Sony voice recorder. Only one prof allowed recordings, but if you have a disability, my school will actually do all of that for you (as in, they'll require the prof to wear a mic).

Anyway, I typically recorded the lectures and then outsourced them for transcription through guru.com or elance.com. The ONLY reason I did this is because my property prof gives take-home finals which are a mind fuck and a half, and he expects us to quote him verbatim in the exam. I was able to do that.

Anyway, since I treated property like a regular class, I read through the transcripts and highlighted the important parts. Then I created my own table of contents (an outline, basically) with page references. It made the exam tolerable, but we'll see if my grade improves at all.

Oh, one other thing: in class, I NEVER would take notes. I'd listen & absorb. That helped me so much, because when I was studying, everything felt very familiar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Wed May 19, 2010 10:40 pm

disco_barred wrote:
engineer wrote:This semester, I don't know what happened.
People's exhibit A:
engineer wrote:I recorded almost all of my property law lectures using a $100 Sony voice recorder. Only one prof allowed recordings, but if you have a disability, my school will actually do all of that for you (as in, they'll require the prof to wear a mic).

Anyway, I typically recorded the lectures and then outsourced them for transcription through guru.com or elance.com. The ONLY reason I did this is because my property prof gives take-home finals which are a mind fuck and a half, and he expects us to quote him verbatim in the exam. I was able to do that.

Anyway, since I treated property like a regular class, I read through the transcripts and highlighted the important parts. Then I created my own table of contents (an outline, basically) with page references. It made the exam tolerable, but we'll see if my grade improves at all.

Oh, one other thing: in class, I NEVER would take notes. I'd listen & absorb. That helped me so much, because when I was studying, everything felt very familiar.
That's not one of the grades I've received yet! But don't worry, either way I'll post the results here. The two classes I did poorly in this semester I treated normally. No crazy study habits, just normal stuff.

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Wed May 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you wanted. Which class was scantron?

FWIW, I'd still turn in the Columbia memo. Go down swinging.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 pm

sixburgher wrote:Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you wanted. Which class was scantron?

FWIW, I'd still turn in the Columbia memo. Go down swinging.
I agree. I am guessing you spent a lot of time on it, and it would be a complete waste to not turn it in. If your transcript is pretty strong and you have some good 1L extracurriculars, I cannot imagine one low grade being the end of your transfer dreams.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Hey, if your school grades to a 2.6 curve you'll be good to go

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Well, you have literally nothing to lose by turning in the memo considering you've already done it.

Also, it's an extreme long shot, but Columbia Law Review will notify the admissions office if you qualify for one of the write-on spots. It doesn't guarantee admission, but I have to believe it counts as a pretty big plus. So if you totally aced the writing competition, that could actually help you.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Wait wtf, schools expect you to participate in a transfer write on before you even apply/are accepted? My understanding was that I could wait to deal with the write on after I got in....should I be doing these things while waiting for my grades?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 pm

shmoo597 wrote:Wait wtf, schools expect you to participate in a transfer write on before you even apply/are accepted? My understanding was that I could wait to deal with the write on after I got in....should I be doing these things while waiting for my grades?
Depends on the school. Columbia, Harvard, and a few others don't have a separate write on for when transfers are accepted. Many schools do, however. Either way you've either missed the boat at schools with current write-on competitions, or are good to go for schools that don't.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 am

Sorry engineer, it really seemed like you were going to own this semester. Good luck and don't stop posting on here. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wannabealonghorn

New

Post by wannabealonghorn » Thu May 20, 2010 2:07 am

man... for UT, they say no separate write-on for transfers AND you cannot participate on regular write-on.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Thu May 20, 2010 11:29 am

shmoo597 wrote:Wait wtf, schools expect you to participate in a transfer write on before you even apply/are accepted? My understanding was that I could wait to deal with the write on after I got in....should I be doing these things while waiting for my grades?
Yeah, it's pretty rough. Most of the schools I applied to are post admissions decision, but 3 or 4 are right now.

Edit: I've already decided that I'm going to have to dump at least one, and probably 2. This leaves me with the question of whether I should do it for the school I'd most like to attend, or for the school I'm most likely to attend.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm

wannabealonghorn wrote:man... for UT, they say no separate write-on for transfers AND you cannot participate on regular write-on.
Not for Law Review, but secondary journals were open to transfers joining.

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

disco_barred wrote:Depends on the school. Columbia, Harvard, and a few others don't have a separate write on for when transfers are accepted. Many schools do, however. Either way you've either missed the boat at schools with current write-on competitions, or are good to go for schools that don't.
Oh mannnn I didnt even see that Columbia's write on works this way! This sucks! The site seems to say that any journal besides the Columbia Law Review is open to transfers post decision. Am I correct?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Anyone have a good list of t14 schools that don't have a separate write on for transfers? Harvard, columbia....?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 3:51 pm

disco_barred wrote:
People's exhibit A
Disco, you seem like you're a pretty knowledgeable guy who knows his shit when it comes to law school, study habits, exams, etc. I've found your posts to be very informative and helpful, and I'm sure I'll put some of your advice to use next year.

But at the same time, you need to come down from your high horse and stop acting like the czar of law school success. There are different strokes for different folks, especially when it comes to succeeding in LS. I know a few people who never took notes in undergrad and they don't take many notes in LS either, and they're all doing quite well. And TLS is full of all sorts of conflicting advice for success in law school, and some strategies work for some people and others work for other people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have greatly appreciated your insights and advice on law school success, but I think we could all use without the arrogance and the "I-know-more-than-you" attitude.

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Thu May 20, 2010 4:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
People's exhibit A
Disco, you seem like you're a pretty knowledgeable guy who knows his shit when it comes to law school, study habits, exams, etc. I've found your posts to be very informative and helpful, and I'm sure I'll put some of your advice to use next year.

But at the same time, you need to come down from your high horse and stop acting like the czar of law school success. There are different strokes for different folks, especially when it comes to succeeding in LS. I know a few people who never took notes in undergrad and they don't take many notes in LS either, and they're all doing quite well. And TLS is full of all sorts of conflicting advice for success in law school, and some strategies work for some people and others work for other people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have greatly appreciated your insights and advice on law school success, but I think we could all use without the arrogance and the "I-know-more-than-you" attitude.

I didn't really get the holier-than-thou impression from Disco's post. I mean, dude makes a post saying: "Oh, one other thing: in class, I NEVER would take notes. I'd listen & absorb. That helped me so much, because when I was studying, everything felt very familiar." and then comes back a few months later saying he bombed his exams?

Disco has every right to call him out on that. Don't offer up unproven study habits like you know what does and doesn't work in LS.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 5:01 pm

On a side note, I would be absolutely finished if I did not take great notes from class. This is the way I outline: I have my class notes open, my class syllabus opened, and I scroll down accordingly while having an E&E in my hand. I go chapter by chapter, class by class, section by section. I take bits and pieces from my notes and an E&E, commercial outline, or another's outline, and try to use my notes and professor's own words (which I bold, underline, etc. during the semester when I think it is important) in making my own outline. Without the prof's. own words, I'd likely be a median or below student.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”