Asking for letters of recommendation before grades come out Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
studebaker07

Bronze

Asking for letters of recommendation before grades come out

Post by studebaker07 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:06 am

I am coming down to the wire as far as how much time I have before my transfer application is complete (about 1.5 months).

I already asked one professor to write a letter of recommendation but she declined (ouch).

Anyways, my only other option is to ask professors I have had this semester but who have not yet posted grades and are probably still grading exams. Furthermore, it might be quite some time until grades are posted, and waiting until they are posted would likely put me past the deadline for the application.

Has anybody on here asked their professor for LOR's before grades have been posted?

**Also, the school I want to apply for transfer into does not require that an applicant provide any letters of recommendation; the letters are optional and the school accepts up to 3. I don't know how advisable it is, but it is possible for me to apply without obtaining any letters of recommendation.

junelsatonmonday

New

Re: Asking for letters of recommendation before grades come out

Post by junelsatonmonday » Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 pm

i asked two professors i had this semester (grades wont be out for a while) and they both said yes. i had planned to ask them all along so was pretty diligent about going to their office hours regularly, talking in class, etc. so they knew who i was. it's worth a try - the worst thing that can happen is they say to wait for grades. you have nothing to lose

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:50 pm

Have you considered applying without them, and then sending them after grades come out?

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Sat May 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Don't you have first semester grades by now? Ask the profs you had first semester. You can always send letters after grades come out also. Transfer decisions are based on grades/class rank, not rec letters, so don't get too fixated on rec letters.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Don't you have first semester grades by now? Ask the profs you had first semester. You can always send letters after grades come out also. Transfer decisions are based on grades/class rank, not rec letters, so don't get too fixated on rec letters.
I asked my one professor from last semester that I did not have this past semester and that is the professor that declined to write one (even though I did well in her class and she knew me well outside of class).

The only other option is my crim law professor from last semester but her and I did not get along well and she gave me my lowest grade.

I think I will just contact my professors from this semester and ask if they would be interested in writing a recommendation for me. If not, I can manage without letters I believe since the school I want to transfer to doesn't require them. I can do well with my class rank I believe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat May 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Not to be mean (o.k. maybe kind of to be mean), but why do your Profs hate you so much? I think my problem would be that my professors did not know me well enough, but one of your first semester Profs refused to write you a rec. and the other you "didn't get along with?" Anyway, maybe you are wise to send it in without letters of recommendation if your application is otherwise strong. They will probably just figure you don't want to burn any bridges at your current school before you actually transfer.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Not to be mean (o.k. maybe kind of to be mean), but why do your Profs hate you so much? I think my problem would be that my professors did not know me well enough, but one of your first semester Profs refused to write you a rec. and the other you "didn't get along with?" Anyway, maybe you are wise to send it in without letters of recommendation if your application is otherwise strong. They will probably just figure you don't want to burn any bridges at your current school before you actually transfer.
I see what you are saying. I actually got a long great with the professors who declined to write me a letter of recommendation. I think her problem was more a conflict of interest and, perhaps, a personal animus to sending students to a school that ours is, supposedly, in competition with. And the other professor that I didn't get along with, I think I can safely say that no one got along with her (she often told us that we were "failures" as law students).

Nevertheless, I will just go forward with the application process and let my numbers, resume, and personal statement speak for themselves.

Nevertheless,

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm

i'm in a similar position as you. it's hard to tell what you should do. I know I can get a letter from my first semester prof, but getting the 2nd or 3rd one will be a bit more difficult considering my grades don't come out for another month still. someone earlier suggested waiting till grades are posted and then asking... but does that put you in a masssive time crunch with regards to going complete?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:07 pm

iheartlaw wrote:i'm in a similar position as you. it's hard to tell what you should do. I know I can get a letter from my first semester prof, but getting the 2nd or 3rd one will be a bit more difficult considering my grades don't come out for another month still. someone earlier suggested waiting till grades are posted and then asking... but does that put you in a masssive time crunch with regards to going complete?
Apply with 1, send the others later?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”