Do transfers receive merit based scholarships? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seriously

New

Do transfers receive merit based scholarships?

Post by seriously » Tue May 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm curious.

If a student it top 5%, does it only help the student transfer to a higher ranked school? OR, could it bring in some scholarship?

Thanks. :)

zizou

New

Re: Do transfers receive merit based scholarships?

Post by zizou » Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 pm

I have seen posts on this board that it never happens, but I actually have a friend who transferred and received a scholarship. I think it is pretty rare though.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Typically, NO. If you are in a position to transfer to a much higher ranked school it is possible that the lower ranked school may be able to offer you scholly $ to stay.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue May 04, 2010 6:37 pm

seriously wrote:I'm curious.

If a student it top 5%, does it only help the student transfer to a higher ranked school? OR, could it bring in some scholarship?

No /thread

Feynman

New

Post by Feynman » Tue May 04, 2010 6:44 pm

It can bring in some scholarship at your current school. It happens. But don't count on it.

edit for clarity: You will not receive a scholarship at your destination school (at least most schools people would want to transfer to in the first place). I did read once that a T2 school offered a guy a scholarship as a transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zizou

New

Post by zizou » Tue May 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:

No /thread
Yes? I personally know someone who this happened to.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue May 04, 2010 7:17 pm

zizou wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

No /thread
Was it need aid? Ive heard of need aid, but not merit.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 pm

zizou wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

No /thread
No offense, but more detailed information needed or it didn't happen/you've been misinformed.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue May 04, 2010 7:44 pm

according their admissions office, fordham offers merit aid to some transfer students. i am aware of a similar policy at a T2

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue May 04, 2010 7:50 pm

sanpiero wrote:according their admissions office, fordham offers merit aid to some transfer students. i am aware of a similar policy at a T2
rofl.. fordham doesnt count

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue May 04, 2010 7:57 pm

No one cares re: the T2. Shocked re: Fordham.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 05, 2010 12:29 pm

there are plenty of people on these boards trying to transfer from a T4 or T3 to a T2.

you not caring =/=
ToTransferOrNot wrote:No one cares re: the T2.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

sanpiero wrote:there are plenty of people on these boards trying to transfer from a T4 or T3 to a T2.

you not caring =/=
Those people are, by and large, being foolish. Transferring up to a T2 doesn't give you the same benefits that transferring in to a T14 (and a handful of other schools--transferring from a NYLS to a Fordham might be a good move depending on what you're giving up at NYLS, from Baylor to UT, from one of the lesser CA schools to UCLA/USC) provides, because all schools start to become precisely the same after a certain point. The only really justifiable reason to transfer from a T3/T4 is if you have decided that the T3/T4 isn't in the market you want to practice in.

Why in God's name would you give up top 5-10%, LR etc at a T3/T4 in order to transfer to a T2, which won't have noticeably different placement opportunities, and may in fact hurt you because you've given up the only resume lines that matter coming out of TTTs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 05, 2010 8:08 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
sanpiero wrote:there are plenty of people on these boards trying to transfer from a T4 or T3 to a T2.

you not caring =/=
Those people are, by and large, being foolish. Transferring up to a T2 doesn't give you the same benefits that transferring in to a T14 (and a handful of other schools--transferring from a NYLS to a Fordham might be a good move depending on what you're giving up at NYLS, from Baylor to UT, from one of the lesser CA schools to UCLA/USC) provides, because all schools start to become precisely the same after a certain point. The only really justifiable reason to transfer from a T3/T4 is if you have decided that the T3/T4 isn't in the market you want to practice in.

Why in God's name would you give up top 5-10%, LR etc at a T3/T4 in order to transfer to a T2, which won't have noticeably different placement opportunities, and may in fact hurt you because you've given up the only resume lines that matter coming out of TTTs?
Agreed. The only reason I can see is geographic preference of the T2's region over that of the T3/4.

FWIW, I thought your post was rude, so I thought I'd mention that there are people out there looking to go T3/4 to T2. I'm not one of them, and I see why such a move typically isn't advisable. If there aren't geographic concerns at play, ITE there are very few good reasons to transfer to a school outside the T6 (if you're at a T1), T14 (if you're at a T2), or T18 (if you're at a T3/4).

Feynman

New

Post by Feynman » Wed May 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Agreed. The only reason I can see is geographic preference of the T2's region over that of the T3/4.

FWIW, I thought your post was rude, so I thought I'd mention that there are people out there looking to go T3/4 to T2.
He often comes across that way. TTON needs to dial down his douchiness. His points are correct but geographic preference and proximity to family/friends are the obvious reasons why somebody would move. However, I would recommend a move from a T4 to a T2 if the the T4 was one of the few with truly atrocious reputations (Cooley, for example).

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Feynman wrote:

FWIW, I thought your post was rude, so I thought I'd mention that there are people out there looking to go T3/4 to T2.
He often comes across that way. TTON needs to dial down his douchiness. His points are correct but geographic preference and proximity to family/friends are the obvious reasons why somebody would move. However, I would recommend a move from a T4 to a T2 if the the T4 was one of the few with truly atrocious reputations (Cooley, for example).
Credited on all points. My problem is that I post on TLS after several beverages/I'm letting out my inner douche on the interwebz after a day of being essentially the most agreeable and docile person in existence :lol:

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Eh, TTON's great.

I am curious about need aid. Someone on here told me that Berkeley has some decent need aid for transfers. I be needy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 pm

A'nold wrote:Eh, TTON's great.

I am curious about need aid. Someone on here told me that Berkeley has some decent need aid for transfers. I be needy.
Berkeley does need aid. HYS do need aid. Georgetown does some aid--basically, any aid that was "left behind" by folks transferring out is made available to folks transferring in.

Not sure about other schools. The only thing I can speak to with 1000% certainty is that UChicago absolutely does not do aid of any sort to transfers :lol:

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Wed May 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Does it happen that your current school would offer you more merit scholarship after 1L because of top grades? I don't see why a school would do this. As an enrolled student you aren't helping their stats or rep, unless you would graduate and get a prestigious clerkship or BigLaw job, and I can't see schools throwing money at you on the chance that you land something big.

Plus, you leave a place at the school for a transfer to come in and pay full tuition. In a way, it seems like it's in the best interest of the school that some of its top students transfer.

Feynman

New

Post by Feynman » Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 pm

sixburgher wrote:Does it happen that your current school would offer you more merit scholarship after 1L because of top grades? I don't see why a school would do this. As an enrolled student you aren't helping their stats or rep, unless you would graduate and get a prestigious clerkship or BigLaw job, and I can't see schools throwing money at you on the chance that you land something big.

Plus, you leave a place at the school for a transfer to come in and pay full tuition. In a way, it seems like it's in the best interest of the school that some of its top students transfer.
It happens. Who knows how often it does, but it's not uncommon. As to their motivation: If you leave they get nothing. Many TTTs are not going to be able to fill those empty spots with transfers so the relevant question becomes: Give partial scholarship and maintain some revenue or let one of our best students transfer and get nothing. Additionally, it cannot look good to other students (or prospective students) when the best and brightest are transferring out.

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Wed May 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Feynman wrote:
sixburgher wrote:Does it happen that your current school would offer you more merit scholarship after 1L because of top grades? I don't see why a school would do this. As an enrolled student you aren't helping their stats or rep, unless you would graduate and get a prestigious clerkship or BigLaw job, and I can't see schools throwing money at you on the chance that you land something big.

It happens. Who knows how often it does, but it's not uncommon. As to their motivation: If you leave they get nothing. Many TTTs are not going to be able to fill those empty spots with transfers so the relevant question becomes: Give partial scholarship and maintain some revenue or let one of our best students transfer and get nothing. Additionally, it cannot look good to other students (or prospective students) when the best and brightest are transferring out.
Ah OK, I'm with you there. I was thinking more about T50 schools which presumably get more transfer apps than they can accept, but if a school isn't getting many transfer apps then it would definitely make sense for them to try to keep their best people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Nah, I think you guys are both off a little here. Think about this: if you are attending a t2-t4 and are at the top, you are basically their star student(s). Many of these schools struggle with bar passage rates/getting their student's OCI bids. If those students leave, sure, some of the top 20% become the new top 10%, but the caliber of the class just took a severe hit.

Feynman

New

Post by Feynman » Thu May 06, 2010 1:08 am

A'nold wrote:Nah, I think you guys are both off a little here. Think about this: if you are attending a t2-t4 and are at the top, you are basically their star student(s). Many of these schools struggle with bar passage rates/getting their student's OCI bids. If those students leave, sure, some of the top 20% become the new top 10%, but the caliber of the class just took a severe hit.

This too, but he was speaking in pure economic/US News terms. Obviously a more holistic view favors trying to keep the best students, but it can also make sense in a strict economic sense as well. I am not in a position to know why some schools offer scholarships to top students after 1L (or to dissuade them from transferring), but there are certainly many rational reasons to do so. In any case, it does happen.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 am

A Loyola prof told of a student who transferred to USC and got $$$ to do so.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 am

I'd like to believe schools care about more than simply US News when they make a decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”