Hopeful HYS Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
coleslaw

New

Hopeful HYS Transfer

Post by coleslaw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:38 pm

I’m a 1L at the lower end of a T2 school. I went to Yale as an undergraduate and I’m hoping to transfer back to there, but any of HYS will be great of course. I don’t have official numbers, but I’m guessing my 1st semester grades put me near the top of my class, probably in the top 1-3%. I have a few decent softs. My general question would be, what are the chances of pulling this off?

What would be the best way to frame my personal statement for HYS, especially Yale since I did my undergraduate there? Does previously attending the school give me an advantage in the transfer decisions?

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Last edited by coleslaw on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

apper123

Silver

Re: Hopeful HYS Transfer

Post by apper123 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Getting into HYS in the bottom 100 is an unbelievable long shot. I'd say it's probably impossible at Yale, but I could be wrong.

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm

I think if you're not #1 in your class, it's going to be nearly impossible. There are plenty of people who are 1-3% in their class in schools in the 20-50 range that are going to be trying that same move (maybe some at school above #20). I don't know how many transfers Harvard takes, but I don't think Yale and Stanford take that many. Good luck. The consolation is that even if you can't get into HYS, if you're in the top 5% of your class, you stand a decent shot at another couple T14 schools.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Judging by what I've seen at transferapps, you have a small but worth-the-application-fee shot at Harvard if you make it to #1 or #2 in your class. Perhaps a really high LSAT or something that makes them think, "wow, this kid could've done way better" would help. Yale is basically a no-go. Historically they only reach down about as low as Tulane. If you're really dying for Yale and Harvard, then yes, have your professors tailor the letters directly. But realistically, you should be looking at a broader swath of schools if you want to move up, and in that case don't bother hassling them with letter-tailoring, as we're probably talking about ten or so schools you should be applying to.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:10 pm

No chance at Yale, almost no chance at H or S. It changes slightly if you are #1 at the end of the year, and you're completely out of the running if you're top 5%.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am

I don't know much about this, but I have a gut feeling that going to Yale for undergrad may help you, since it might assauge them of fears that you can't hack it at a top school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”