Suppose Your ((Building A) Mystery) School Doesn't Rank Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traydeuce

Silver

Suppose Your ((Building A) Mystery) School Doesn't Rank

Post by traydeuce » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:25 pm

And all it gives are percentiles. Supposing that's the case, does it really matter how well you do as long as you stay in the top 5%? Because from the outside looking in, a school could look at your 3.86, for example, and say, "well gee, that could be 1st in the class for all we know." Or do you think you really are better off, even if your school's rankings are a black box, with the 3.93, with the 3.95, with the 4.0?

Gold

Re: Suppose Your ((Building A) Mystery) School Doesn't Rank

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am

Higher grades are better. All law schools curve in very similar ways, and transfer applications occur at every school, so when you submit your ap the adcoms will know with alarming precision what your grades mean even without a class rank to back it up.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am

disco_barred wrote:Higher grades are better. All law schools curve in very similar ways, and transfer applications occur at every school, so when you submit your ap the adcoms will know with alarming precision what your grades mean even without a class rank to back it up.
Well, you know, except the schools that curve 1/3 of their classes for failure and steal their tuition.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Great, here I thought I could limp my way to a 3.86/top 5% and I'd be good.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:46 pm

traydeuce wrote:Great, here I thought I could limp my way to a 3.86/top 5% and I'd be good.
Top 5% is still extremely good, as it 3.86 :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:50 pm

disco_barred wrote:
traydeuce wrote:Great, here I thought I could limp my way to a 3.86/top 5% and I'd be good.
Top 5% is still extremely good, as it 3.86 :P
Yeah but I thought I could fool Harvard with it. Like, look at me, I could be #1 for all you know. All you've got is a 5% cutoff.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm

If my school didn't rank I'd be done for then, haha. Our curve is like a 2.67.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”