transferring back to old school? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cooleyjn

New

transferring back to old school?

Post by cooleyjn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Here's the deal. I transferred from a T4 in TX last year to a top 25 school with hopes of getting into academia at some point. Now, my career goals have changed and I am considering starting a firm right after I graduate. Also I am thinking about doing so back in TX.

So my question is, since the prestige of the law school has little relevance with starting a firm, should I entertain the option of transferring back for my third year? Or am I just crazy for even considering it?

Other factors are that my new school is in my home state, but I enjoyed the old school much more.

Also, is that even possible to transfer back to your old school?

icydash

Bronze

Re: transferring back to old school?

Post by icydash » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 pm

I may be wrong on this, but I'm like 90% sure you can only transfer once, between your 1L and 2L years...I don't think you can transfer after your 2L year.

That being said, I would think prestige would be very important in starting your own firm after graduating -- You need to bring in all your own clients and it's very hard to do so with no experience....the only way I would think people would overlook your lack of experience is if you come from a very prestigious school, and maybe get someone else on board whose much older and can guide you.

Also, if you're starting your own firm, you can always go start it in Texas regardless of what school you went to before hand, so I'm not really sure that the location of your new school will matter much. Most of the top-25 schools are known all over.

Really it sounds to me more like a quality of life thing. It sounds like you were happier at your old school. My advice: tough it out. You'll have more job opportunities coming from the top-25 school should the starting-your-own-firm thing fall through. It never hurts to come from a -better- school.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”